Internet Explorer 8

edited May 2009 in Local discussion
I just upgraded and now this site doesn't jump to new posts in a topic, which is pretty annoying..

Just thought i'd let you know if you were contemplating upgrading.

p.s yes i know, firefox etc etc but i'm at work and we don't get FF!

Comments

• edited 12:10PM
    I have the same problem at work, you can put "firefox portable" on which is a specially adapted version that doesnt need installing with administrative priviledges.

Its designed for putting on a usb stick but you can just put it in your user directory (or even in my documents or desktop).

If you want to use flash you have to download the flash player installer file, rename it into a ".zip" then open it and copy 2 files (the .dll and the .xpt) into the plugins directory (/App/firefox/plugins/) and then restart firefox.

This is especially useful if your work doesnt let you update to the latest flash player unless you're an administrator (like my work!) because if it wasn't for doing this, youtube and everything that needs flash 10 wouldn't play.
  • edited May 2009
    Just plugging a USB flash drive into a computer at my last place of work was a sackable offence. Despite warnings of the new policy and explanations of what safeguards were in place over half-a-dozen people were caught in the first week. All sacked.
    That was apparently fixed in beta 2, could one of you try this please? <http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/ieBugs/anchor.html>; My anchors are working but my IE8 is on Windows 7 so probably not a good tester.
    That link works ok. SG.org leaves me at the top of each discussion tho..
    might be the SEO links. I'll have a sod around in a quiet moment.
    @ poxy's former employers - why not simply disable the USB ports?
    Jamie_l, you do realise such discussions are punishable by death as far as Lucy is concerned. You may not know Lucy, but IT discussions really should reside in Eugene's Lair, if just for our safety.
    i'm a scary lady alright! Back to the lair with you all. I'll set the dog on you otherwise.
    Surely that is a sackable offence. We're not doing anybody any harm!
    No harm matt, but crucially in the wrong category. Always in the Lair.
    Always good to get an outing once in a while!