Recommend an SG estate agent (lettings)?

edited July 2009 in Local discussion
I'm looking to rent a new place in Stroud Green in the next month or so and would appreciate any recommendations or warnings anyone has about the local lettings agents.

Have been with D*ngl*s up until now and, while they've not been abominably bad, I've not been best pleased with them. I know not to expect much from estate agents but I'd like to think that some are more decent than others.

Comments

• edited 3:23AM
    I have to say that David Philip has always been most helpful but then, I do drink with the man.
  • edited July 2009
    I rented a place via Black and Yellow Sign EA who, though I cannot recommend them, have not been astonishingly awful.

Previously rented through Michael Morris who were always lovely and fair, but they don't seem to have much on the go in the Stroud Green area at the moment. They were always quick to fix things, replaced a fridge in an afternoon etc. and we got an absolute bargain on the rent after haggling (which hasn't gone up in 4(!) years as old housemates still live there)
  • edited July 2009
  • edited July 2009
    We rented for two years through Davies & Davies, and they were great.
  • edited July 2009
    We got our flat through KFH. They were competent enough. Expensive though. A 2 bedroom flat on our street is being advertised at £365 per week.
    I've used Dinglis for 3 years and (touch wood) have always thought they were pretty fair and decent. Have fixed problems quickly, don't have hidden charges when you join etc
    There are a lot of landlords who refuse to use agents advertising in Loot - Sorted my last place out like this, the landlord was an old school Judge and everything was legit, was 160/wk for a 1 bed flat on SGR so pretty reasonable I thought; and no probs with the landlord when things needed doing.
  • I'm currently trying to find a place to rent in Stroud Green - thanks for all the tips.
    Don't what ever you do have any dealings with Network Agencies on Seven Sisters Road
    Davies and Davies are really good for lettings, they weren't managing our flat though, and we have recently rented a place through Michael Morris, who have been excellent so far.
    Davies & Davies are not great at all in my experience. Not any more.

Their tenancy fees have recently increased to £240. That plus a credit check of £75 per person moving in is what you can expect to pay. Not sure how standard these fees are (probably fair?).

The service they provide is average in general. Sometimes below average or crap.
    Lee's Lettings on Hornsey Road were lovely. No nasty fees and our landlord bought us a cake for Christmas.

http://www.leelets.co.uk/
    Do not use Ludlow Thompson. They were a shower of shit from both the landlords' and the tenants' POV when it came to renting my flat.
  • Rather than start a new thread - did anyone else see the piece of A4 attached to the Dinglis shutters on Sunday? <div><br></div><div>"IF YOU ARE INTENDING TO TAKE A TENANCY FROM THIS COMPANY (DINGLIS MANAGEMENT LTD) DO NOT DO SO BECAUSE THE PROPERTIES DO NOT BELONG TO THEM AND YOU MAY LOSE YOUR MONEY</div><div><br></div><div>A.DINGLIS</div><div>DIRECTOR - DINGLIS PROPERTIES LTD</div><div>DINGLIS ESTATES LTD"</div><div><br></div><div>Anyone know what that's about?</div>
  • From the other point of view, when I had to let my flat for a couple of years, I did so through David Andrews.  They found me great tenants who stayed the whole time, and I found them straightforward to deal with.
  • This thread is like Lazarus.  I guess restricitons on posting on old threads has been lifted?<br>
  • (@NN - answer in the 'Changes' thread)
  • The owners of Dinglis are going through a bitter divorce at the moment and have decided to air all their dirty laundry in front of their tenants. We're all receiving letters (from the wife A. Dinglis) one day instructing us to change the bank account details we pay our rent to immediately otherwise face eviction, followed the next day by a letter from the husband telling us under no cirumstances to do so.<br><br>She sent out one of the most unprofessional letters I've ever seen going into great depth about how much money he owes her etc etc. So basically, they're dragging their tenants into their financial dispute and forcing them to decide who they pay their rent to.<br><br>Totally unacceptable behaviour.<br>
  • FOUR EYES! Where've you been?
  • Lurking suspiciously in the background!
  • Lurking stylishly more like.
  • Blimey. Glad this no longer impacts on me directly, good luck to those where it does.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.