Cafes in London with scenic views

edited August 2009 in Local discussion
Recommendations?

Preferably views over green space or water or views from a decent height over parts of London, and preferably views you can see whilst sat down, rather than ones you just get a glimpse of the way in.

Comments

• edited 10:15AM
    Not really cafés as such, but the Peter Jones (John Lewis) store in Sloane Square has a good view from their top floor restaurant and the restaurant on top of the National Portrait Gallery also has a view. There's always the outside tables at the Phoenix Bar at Alexandra Palace - we get takeaways from Vrisaki's and eat them there.
    I was thinking of Peter Jones, too. Packed to the brim with brittle Chelsea parents, mind.
    Milou's - 83 Hazelville Road for a bit of a view over London from the outside bit. The Cafe by the Castle/Water Tower/old pumping station on Green Lanes overlooking the south reservoir - lovely on a sunny day and very peaceful.
    Cafe or restaurant at the top of Tate Modern. Members room with optional outside seating, if you are a member. Sublime views over Thames and St Pauls.
    Cafe at the top of Waterstones on Picadilly is pretty cool and not expensive (at least, not for central London)! If you can get a seat by the window, there's a good view.
    Thanks; looks a good set of suggestions, several of which are completely new to me. Will go investigate...
  • RegReg
    edited 10:15AM
    I second Waterstones on Picadilly.
  • IanIan
    edited 10:15AM
    Restaurant at the top of the national portrait gallery is a good view. They have a bar area there as well.
    Tried the cafe by the pumping station on Sunday. Lovely.
    Bit fancy-dan, but the bar at the top of Tower 42 in the City is reasonably stunning though some degree of faffing required to get in there (booking etc), though may impress a champagne quaffing visitor.
    Kenwood House has a cafe right at the top of Hampstead Heath which has a decent view and is also a great walk. Once done there, head to the Spaniards Inn for a drink or a bite - it's like being in the country but in the city.
    The Oxo Tower has a balcony with a great view - well worth the £10 cocktail price!
    Well, if we are going fancy-dan, the view from Tower 42 is amazing.

Alternatively, if you know anyone who can get you in to Shoreditch House the top floor where the pool is has great views, excellent food and is a great place to spend the afternoon/evening.
  • edited August 2009
    I agree with Ian - the Portrait restaurant at the National Portrait Gallery - it's tremendous. Don't be put off by website - rock up there for a coffee of a weekday morning - it's empty so you're bound to get a table by the window.

I can highly recommend Tower 42 on bonfire night. Especially if someone else is footing the bill for the champagne.
    Inn the Park, St. James' Park
    @ David - the nicest way to reach the cafe at the pumping station is to go to Finsbury Park and follow the new river - it winds around and back past the reservoirs. There are lots of gates so nigh on impossible with bikes or pushchairs.
    Sad to say Milou's no longer open in the mornings. Pah.
    I jogged down Wightman Road this morning and saw the gate to New River path, and was wondering if it was joggable? Or is it all knee-high grass, mud and marshland? Sorry for seeming lazy, but I just never seem to walk down that way.