Cheap things to do in SG and surrounds

edited August 2009 in Local discussion
I got made redundant a few weeks ago and am now at home most days. After spending a couple of hours a day looking for jobs, i'm getting a bit stuck for things to do and need to get out of the flat to keep myself sane.

Have my fellow SGers got any ideas of any activities or sights local-ish that are worth a look?

Comments

• edited August 2009
    I guess you know all of these but…

The Islington Museum where you can see Joe Orton’s defaced books. That’s free. Google it for the address.

You’ve probably been but Highgate Cemetery is about £3. I think.

The old horse-racing track at the bottom of Ally Pally is a nice big open space where the sky seems really big.

Swimming in Hampstead Heath ponds. It used to be free but I’m not sure now. Fond memories of swimming with ducks in the middle of the city.

Drinking on the bench outside Tesco. I’ve been tempted when skint, but I lack the self-esteem.

The Post Office is good for cheap, bastard-strength horse-piss lager and ciders and discount "wines", so you're handy for booze if it gets real bad.

A nice long walk down the canal from Angel to Limehouse basin gets you out.

If you go the other way to Camden you may see the pathetic, furtive, but plainly-obvious drug deals under the bridge.

You can also walk along the Lee River but I’ve never tried, so don’t take my word for it.

As you're aware, all the museums and galleries are free, but the other great thing is that they have a little shop -- all the postcards are chap, so you can even buy "art" and bring it home. As the man said, "I love a little shop." :)

Or you could sit here wasting your day posting on a local discussion forum.
  • I'm always skint, too.

Join SeeFilmFirst and the Times film club thingie to get free cinema tickets. You have to be quick 'cause they go fast, but since you have a lot of free time...

Go for a run down Parkland walk. If you get hungry, you can pick berries as you run.

There are lots of cheap, fun classes you can take at City and Islington College on Blackstock Road. Probably even cheaper since you're unemployed. I love adult education.
  • edited 2:35PM
    come and see the art show in our project space at john jones - open weds to fri. might not be your cup of tea (i really seem to have tea and coffee on the brain today...) but its free!
  • edited October 2009
    Pick up some freelance writing gig. I used to write CD reviews for years until recently and over the years have gathered together quite a good collection. Or read that big book you never had time to read. Or learn a language. If you're too nervous for that, get really fit. If you go running, why not double the number of times you go. Apply that to whatever other sport you do. All not too SG-y, I know. Best of luck for the jobhunt!!!
    You could go round the area taking photos of yourself pointing at things that make you sad. Also, @ Marquis WHEN I WAS A MONK! You can't just casually throw in something like that.
    Why not, Andy? I have come across other people who were monks for parts of their lives. I just wanted to say that it was a time where I had parts of the day that I could use at my discretion but it had to be for something useful.
    I love it. I love it. I love it. Please tell me some monk related stories. What is it like?
    Islington libraries do free orders for any book held at any branch of theirs. Finsbury Park is a great place to sit and read. Combine, and until the weather fails, you're laughing.
  • edited October 2009
    Andy, I don't know what you're interested to hear. There wasn't very much excitement around for most of the time, except perhaps around the time when I decided to leave.
  • edited August 2009
    When you say the Benedictine community wasn't for you, was that due to the discipline itself or the particular community you were in? EDIT: Sorry, just realised that could be very personal. I'll still ask but don't feel compelled to answer.
  • edited October 2009
    On a personal level, I didn' get on with any of the seniors. I still have Itchy and Scratchy fantasies when I think back.
    why did you choose greek over latin if you don't mind me asking? latin strikes me as the obvious language to learn for a monk.
  • edited October 2009
    We're really killing the thread!
    Thanks all, only on this site could a thread about activities in the area turn into a theological discussion!
    Love the monk stories. You should start a "monk stories" thread and see if there are any others. I always fancied the idea after watching "Il sole anche di notte", because the idea of solitude is very appealing after using the London underground!

btw Slats, Queens Wood is worth a look...over towards Highgate Tube.
    I was recently made redundant, so sympathise. I'm working now, but Homes Under the Hammer does get tedious after a while.
    Also like the take pictures of yourself idea....once you've done that, you should sign up to GuerillaGardening.com

Good luck
  • edited September 2009
    I'm not sure about what's free locally, but these links may be helpful: [Free nights out](http://www.lovemoney.com/news/ways-to-save/the-secret-to-a-free-night-out-3748.aspx) [Cheap days out](http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cheap-days-out)
    P.S. I'd also enjoyed your comments about being a monk.
    Thanks, Donna & sincers. I can write more if you like. It would help me if you had any questions.
    Oh cool, thanks - that's very kind of you. I'm just a bit curious really. What were the key differences in the way of life between the two orders? I was really interested in this comment: The Cistercian order originally split off the Benedictine order because they thought it had become decadent, and an emphasis on stricter observance still defines the order. When you change from one to the other it feels like being a former member of the communist party having to come to terms with a new labour camp, in my particular case in the middle of a frat party. Of course the Benedictines over the centuries have proved much more adaptable and successful. ....just wondering what happened, it sounds pretty bad... and how did you cope with life when you were no longer a monk - was it difficult?
  • edited October 2009
    Heavily Edited.
    best. post. ever.
  • RegReg
    edited 2:35PM
    Could we have a vote on what order SG.org members would choose??
  • Cistercian or not at all
    I'll forward this thread to my ex-abbot. If I get made a saint I'll buy you all a drink, or make you one.
  • edited October 2009
    I know Belgium and France.
    I'd want to join the order that involves beer and men. Which one is that?
  • IanIan
    edited 2:35PM
    Outof order?
    Poll duly added, let's see how many wannabe monks are amongst us.
  • edited October 2009