Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters

Astoundingly inane

edited November 2009 in General chat
[Is this really newsworthy?](http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8336425.stm). It's like a Vicky Pollard diatribe that he said then she said then he said. I'm astounded its been written by someone and deemed publishable by someone else on the BBC. Christ on a bike.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    But but but ....
    <blockquote>In 2006, he made a two-part BBC documentary called Stephen Fry: The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive, which investigated the reality of living with bipolar disorder.</blockquote>
    it's some tenuous link to the BBC, so gets published whatever the toss it's about. Like when 'Spacko De Voidoid Wins Strictly Come Dancing' makes the front page of the News. BBC like to use the website to fellate themselves.
    *twitches curtains, writes to Daily Mail*

Google news is a bit better, it at least dilutes the floating toalies of the BBC in a large sea of mildly foul sewerage.
  • edited 11:47AM
    Because no other news source would ever lead with a story about who won a TV talent show, of course. Certainly the red-tops don't tend to hve items like that on the front page every other day. Oh, wait, the other one.
  • edited November 2009
    If you pay attention, you see the BBC self-promoting stuff like Strictly, Dr. Who any of that stuff on their front page at very slight opportunities. Hence the highlighted para at the end of the Fry - "oh, and we can big up the BBC in this 'news item' (advert for BBC)".

It just seems to be getting a bit vague, as a public service broadcaster surely shouldn't muddy the lines of what is "News" and "Our own programmes we have shoe-horned into news items we then publish". It is likely that my idea of what's News is a bit old fashioned though.
  • edited 11:47AM
    Dr Who, similarly, will often be the subject of stories in the tabloids - which is bloody annoying when someone opposite me on public transport inadvertently spoilers me.

I agree that the Fry business is a non-story, but I dispute that the BBC's coverage of it is in any way worse than the general celebrity nonsense prevalent in other news sources - or, for that matter, much of the inane Kremlinology which pads out the political news sections in the erstwhile broadsheets.