Fire!

edited November 2009 in Local discussion
The shop that sells everything next to the post office is on fire. 3 fire engines in attendance, smoke billowing down the street. Bit of excitement for a Monday morning, just hope no-ones caught in it..

Comments

• edited 5:20PM
    mmm just seen it, just think, all that melted plastic.....
    The fire's out now apparently. Looked like a pretty big deal - 4 or 5 firetrucks, plus police and ambulances. Tollington and SGR both closed to traffic. The smell of plastic was pretty overwhelming.
    Where am I going to do my Christmas shopping now?
    I initially thought it was the chippie which had gone up, that was closed and had people doing something with the electrics inside, and one fire engine was parked right opposite. Then saw the far more impressive devastation of Value 4 Money and realised my mistake.
    Further up the road, I note that Chapter One has been repossessed and thus presumably closed down. SGR Armageddon!
    The smoke was wafting all the way down to the bottom of Fonthill Road. From our office in City North it looked like the smoke was coming from the direction of my house, and I had one of those 'did I forget to turn the iron off moments'...
    It was just the storage out the back that was on fire, but looked like a river ran through the shop to put it out. The smell is hanging around - not great for the food shop next door.
  • Well, I guess it's the shop that sells not quite everything now.
    X-it must be rubbing its hands with glee.
    Surely all conspiracy theories these days have to blame the CIA? If we say that X-it is a CIA front operation, that should reconcile it.
  • AliAli
    edited 5:20PM
    I think the nice guy who runs X-It would be quite offended by that. Do you not remember his story when the Saturday Times ran the story of SGR in it Magazine last Summer !
    I don't recall the story, what was it? The guy in there always seemed remarkably happy. It was often very cold in there though and it must have been a job, keeping all those fiddly objects free from dust.

I must admit if I worked in there I'd have been tempted to torch it on a cold Monday morning. Not that I'm insinuating anything of course.
  • AliAli
    edited 5:20PM
    The Fire was not at X-it. Hope he doesn't torch his shop as he has lots of fireworks in his basement ! This is the previuos thread on this: http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/990/stroud-green-road-in-the-times-this-saturday-july-19/
    Ah yes, I actually meant the guy in Value 4 Money was always friendly. Wrote in a rush, I know where the fire was. I agree fireworks going up would be bad news. I was chatting to the guy in Sno White. He said a fire in the shop was one of his worse nightmares. Imagine the hundred or so people you'd have to tell that their favourite suit, dress, or skirt was burnt to a cinder.