Bread and CPZ

edited December 2009 in Local discussion
Whats the deal with CPZ over xmas? I'm on Florence but this probably applies to all who come here, I can't see anything on Haringey's site. Bread. I want some super fresh, super good french sticks for a dinner tomorrow night. Have nothing to do tomorrow but get them and have car, though I'd prefer local.

Comments

• edited 5:55PM
    Go to Dunns in Crouch End, that's what we used to do in 1962 (although those sticks would be a bit stale by now!).
    Nothing to do! How very organised.

Sable D'or, or place that used to be Planet Organic, in Muswell Hill has nice artisan type stuff. For some reason I hate the mediocre smugness of Dunns. That Coffee Shop place on Tottenham Lane probably does nice bagette too.
  • CatCat
    edited 5:55PM
    My boyf makes lovely bread sticks but he's already employed making them for the grandparents Christmas Eve party tomorrow... maybe next year I can get him to take orders.

I'm going to work tomorrow and the next day :-(
  • There is nothing mediocre about Dunns, and who can blame them for being smug?
    CPZ almost certainly in force. My car got towed from around Highbury a couple of years ago. Talking to the guys at the pound, they mentioned Xmas Day and NYD are their busiest days as people assume all bets are off, but they are just a standard bank holiday with standard restrictions.

I hope for a return to the total closedown that used to happen on NYD, it was much more civilised.
    Krapprubsniff, bet you like Gregg's pies as well.
  • Please - I have never darkened the door of a Greggs abd I would rather bite the arse off a dead squirrel than eat one of their 'pies'.

I had no idea anyone would put ancient family firm Dunns in the same category. I have used them for years.

Evidence please?
    I found a dead squirrel on the Parkland Walkway, with its arse bitten off. No sign of a Greggs paper bag though ......Krapster, what are you like.
    what is CPZ?
    Dunn's, I want to like it, but it's just full of stodgy English buns, The fact that it's a family firm doesn't help. It's like stepping back into the 1970's and I've been there already. It's just not innovative. Take their window display, it's just creepy. It could be beautiful and stunning, especially in that location. It's all a waste. Their pies are very similar to Greggs'.

Crouch Enders love it, but that's because they've grown up with it and it's a kind of herd loyalty. I could go on, but I've got gingerbreadmen to ice.
    CPZ = Controlled Parking Zone

There were some parking vouchers in the last copy of the glossy Islington newsletter for the non-holiday days. Hope this helps.
    And don't forget, everyday is free parking day up on Granville!