What time does Finsbury park open?

edited February 2010 in Local discussion
Does anyone have the park opening hours available?

Was out for a run this morning, and got to the footbridge from Oxford Road into the side of the park, and found it locked. It was 6.15am right enough, but the Hornsey Gate at Endymion Road was open. It's the first time I've been round that early this winter/spring, am assuming I was just too early? It was still dark.

There were film crews (I think) at the old concrete tennis courts, so wasn't sure if they'd locked the pedestrian gate as a security measure. Any ideas?

Comments

• Not a film crew, aliens. Anyone up that early deserves to be abducted by aliens.
  • Ah, one of my favourite topics! I'm afraid I can't tell you when it opens (or closes), except that it varies. Some days the Oxford St gate is closed by 7pm. Last night it was still open at 8.30pm. It's unbelievably annoying to find yourself locked in the park in the dark, trying to find an open gate.
  • edited 3:54PM
    I go running at the same time, graeme, and I made exactly the same experience (except that I didn't try the Endymion Road gate). I've been looking on the internet, but I can't remember now where I found the information that morning opening hours have to do with sunrise, but you can find that even in summer the gates are still closed by 6.30 (which would be too late for me to be ready for work in time). I now just avoid FP :o(
  • edited February 2010
    Found a leaflet <a href="http://www.haringey.gov.uk/finsbury_park_leaflet.pdf"> here</a>that says "When to visit: 6.30am til Dusk", so maybe I should sleep later/take a longer route.

I'm not too bothered, though there were obviously film crew folk in the park, felt a bit miffed that the poor paying public pedestrians were still locked out. It's one rule for them, another rule for Daily Mail readers etc etc.

@Marquis, yes I might have to avoid it now, shame, it's nice to finish the Parkland Walk with a circuit. 6.30am opening in London in summer does feel quite late for anyone who wants to run before work.
    'finish the Parkland Walk with a circuit'

I wish, just the one circuit pretty much does me!

Serious question, I've been running once/twice a week for a few years, but can't break the 30min/5k barrier, any advice how to push these boundaries?
  • There's no secret to it. You just have to keep running. Run through the pain. It'll go away after a few minutes. Once or twice a week isn't really enough. I'd say three times is the minimum. If you run 5k three times a week, you shouldn't have a problem breaking through that barrier. Run 3k in a direction away from home, then turn around and run back. You won't even notice that extra kilometer. It's much easier to run towards home than away from it. Unless, of course, you live up a steep hill...
    Gosh, I think running once or twice a week is an extraordinary feat. Once or twice a year would be pushing the boat out for me!
    Agree with rainbow_carnage, when I started running, I'd run round the park, but I'd only manage one circuit and think 'sod it, back to the house'. It was too boring.

The secret for me is to run away from home as far as I can, then I have to get back. Coming home is easy. Running up to Highgate then back along the Parkland Walk is very do-able first thing in the morning. Great way to terrify dog walkers at 6am in the pitch black!

Currently doing 3x5miles, then a 12miler on a Sunday.

I don't have any pace though, so it's slow and steady.
    Running should be saved for emergencies and bus catching only.
    Well said missisclack. Even then it has to be a very dire emergency - life or death and suchlike.
    Over and back over Crouch Hill/Inderwick/Ferme Park Road is a good hill for building up speed.
    Running is a hangover from the fearful infancy of our species, like religion.
    Lazy academics can always justify not doing exercise
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yep. I've been going for three years. Great fun. Very muddy today. There's a thread on it somewhere.