Primary School nightmare

12345679»

Comments

• "<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; ">I'm really looking forward to sending my baby daughter there in a few years!"</span><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; "><br></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; ">Now that IS forward planning....</span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; "><br></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; ">You are obviously the right person help the Governing Body with one of its central roles...Long term strategic planning.</span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; "><br></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; ">Can I just at as a Governor at another primary school welcome you on board, and say that you have started something (being a Governor) which while it can be time consuming, and occasionally frustrating (especially when some of your fellow Governors find it difficult to see that you are RIGHT and they are WRONG) it is a hugely rewarding bit of volunteer work.</span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; "><br></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; ">You are joining at a time when the whole concept of stakeholder governance is under great challenge, and when the duties being laid on state school governing bodies keep increasing (One would almost think that Mr Gove was trying to make the job impossible...) and the "inducements" to throw in the towel and let someone like Lord Harris take over also keep increasing.</span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; "><br></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; ">But its still worth doing, even if sometimes remembering that the only thing it is really about is the children can get overshadowed by distractions. And its enthusiatic people like you that will make the difference when the short term politicians have moved on.</span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; "><br></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; ">As they always do.</span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; "><br></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; "><br></span></div>
  • Thanks for your welcome to the world of governing! I went to a good training day organised by Haringey and felt there was so much to learn - and, as you say, it feels like everything is in a state of flux so as well as knowing about your school, you need to keep an eye on national changes and trends too.<div><br></div><div>I do love being involved though, partly I think because I like the school so much. Stroud Green Primary is a genuine community school with a lovely atmosphere. Baby will definitely be going there - I love SG and hate moving so we're in for the long haul!  </div>
  • Hello all,<br>Hope it's alright if I join the conversation. I just moved to Stroud Green this summer (from San Francisco). We have two daughters, the oldest of which is entering Year 1 this fall - or rather, she would be, if there were a space available within Haringey. She's currently wait listed at Stroud Green, St Aidan's, Weston Park, Rokesley, Coleridge, and Ashmount (with waiting list spots ranging from 2nd to 88th). I had a lengthy talk with the school admissions team this morning and learned that we may not know where she will attend school until October - that there is not a single open seat in year 1 within the borough of Haringey. If a spot doesn't become available after the initial reshuffling at the beginning of the year, there will be a special panel convened to see which schools can cram in all the kids without a spot (evidently, there are many others in our family's situation).<br><br>Is anyone else in this situation currently? Or has anyone been there and made it through? Is there anything I could/should be doing to speed up the process or increase our chances of getting into a school? Would love any words of wisdom.<br>
  • Hi @hlaurison, I don't have kids so haven't experienced your situation, but there are a couple more schools you might like to try, which are, like Ashmount, on the Islington side of SG but do also take kids from Haringey - Pooles Park on Lennox Road, and Christ the King (Roman Catholic) on Tollington Park; perhaps also Grafton on Eburne Rd N7?
  • Oh, and welcome to Stroud Green! 
  • Has anyone ever had a child who simply couldn't attend school because there was no space? It seems like every child gets a place but schools just like to make you jump through hoops first. Welcome to our part of town. What you leave my favourite city in the whole world to come to live here?
  • @vetski, thanks for the welcome! Yes, we are on the waiting list at Ashmount, too (21st there). I will call the council tomorrow to see about adding our name to waiting lists - not sure if that's possible at this point.<br><br>@miss annie, the school admissions person I spoke to said they were required by law to offer a spot (but of course, not at your neighborhood or preferred school!) - and not until they go through the "special panel" process.<br><br>San Francisco is great, but so is London. We're happy to have landed in such a great place.<br>
  • A couple months ago, there was a discussion about a new <a href="http://stroudgreen.org/discussion/4556/new-free-school-confirmed-for-the-area/p1">free school</a> opening in the area. The consensus seemed to be that there's no need for it as there's not a shortage of places. <br><br>I haven't had to go through the process of getting my non-existent children into a school, but this thread would suggest that there's a need for another one. Whether that should be a free school or another type is a separate discussion, but it cannot be acceptable that parents won't know whether their kids have a place until October.<br><br>Having also looked at schools in other parts of North London (we're thinking of buying a flat), I've realised that once you've eliminated all of the religious schools, there aren't many decent ones left.<br>
  • Hello, I have kids at Weston Park and from what I know there is a lot of movement once September comes. A lot of people leave their school place open and then might go private and not tell the state school or people decide to move etc. I know friends who got offered schools in Tottenham declined and then were offered places in their preferred schools fairly quickly to Coleridge, Weston Park etc - this was all in September. Hold out for your favourite ones and a place will come up. Coleridge has a lot of movement as it is so big it is also one of the best schools. Which one has the shortest waiting list? They are all different but its really worth holding out for Coleridge, Weston Park and St Aidens - they are heavily oversubscribed but I know people who were offered places in these schools in September last year. Try not to worry so much I know its hard not to but come September it will move very quickly! Goodluck.<br>
  • I would support the comment that a significant number of places do appear after term starts. And you can add your name to waiting lists.<div><br></div><div>However I would also comment that the posters problem seems to  relate to a place in year 1, and not reception. The discussion about the proposed Free School was whether or not there would be a shortage of RECEPTION places entering in autumn 2014. Islington says not. What the poster appears to be  concerned about is getting a year 1 place in autumn 2013. Different issues.</div>
  • edited August 2013
  • <A href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/profile/hlaurison" rel=nofollow><FONT color=#637f44>@hlaurison<;/FONT></A>  Did something get sorted  out in the end ?
  • @Ali - I was just coming here for some perspective. Got a call from St. Mary's with an offer today. Being new to the UK, I'm not familiar with the role of religion in state-funded schools. Our family is atheist and I have a very hard time imagining how I could get comfortable with the idea of my child being in a religious school (I know nothing about the quality of education at St Mary's aside from the religious piece). In the mean time, we've enrolled my daughters in an independent school, so the question has been resolved for this year. But the situation is likely to repeat again next year since we'd really like her to be in a state school. <br><br>I'd be interested in hearing from other atheist/agnostic/non-Christian parents with children in CoE schools (or who declined a spot in a CoE school on religious grounds).<br>
  • Faith schools are popular because the standards are usually high. I know a lot of parents who take up places at faith schools even though they have no religious beliefs. They show up at church when required to keep their place. Seems hypocritical to me but hey ho.
  • Having worked in a faith primary school - and being non-religous myself - I would say do not worry. Usually it just means hymns, grace, a couple of prayers and an emphasis on Christianity when teaching RE. Oh and they'll probably go to church at the end of each term and on major Christian dates. Other than that there is usually a nice 'family' focus and an emphasis on Christian values like looking after each other etc.<div><br></div><div>To put this in contrast, I have been on summer camps organised by the Catholic church (as a child) and there was genuine Catholic propaganda involved. I can vaguely remember a lecture on why Catholics is better than Protestantism. </div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • Sad to say but a lot of middle class parents are selfish hypocrites. Face it. One woman I work with says its 'pay or pray' and she life long leftie and godless trollop goes to church with little lottie and larry just so they get into St . Superiors. And u know what? They did. Sucks. Chang
  • edited September 2013
    I agree. Godless Trollop is an excellent phrase.
  • @PeterCrumb, I know exactly what you mean - I spent some of my formative years at a convent school, and was, as a non-Catholic, held personally responsible for the death of Jesus (Anglicanism being next to Judaism/Romanness in the eyes of the nuns). Bit tough on a 7-year old, really!
  • It really pisses me off. We're paying for schools only to be discriminated against. How the hell did this massive religious agenda become so entrenched? It's a disgrace to democracy. It's government-sanctioned theocracy, or 'child abuse' as Dawkins memorably puts it. Good Guardian article today: <a href="http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/26/god-schools-we-pay-for-faith-academies">http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/26/god-schools-we-pay-for-faith-academies</a>;
  • What a load of complete piffle.
  • Aside from the basic bullshit level at even a 'nice' faith school preaching anodyne CofE lies, there are an awful lot of schools teaching plenty worse - places where the head won't stand against homophobia because it conflicts with his noxious faith, even a few peddling creationism. It is indeed a disgrace.
  • <p>I haven't read all of this thread but just to say I am a parent Governor at Stroud Green School.  If anyone has any questions about it please ask.  I have 3 kids who have attended three local primary schools over the years and I can honestly say that Stroud Green School is great and it's getting better all of the time. (We live half way down Tollington Park by the way)</p><p>It is worth checking with the school in case places turn up by the way. I think just as I speak that there are a couple of places in reception but please phone the school to check.  Also worth noting that the school has two nurseries and a fantastic after school club which is open to any children whether they attend the school or not.</p>