Park Run

edited May 2010 in Local discussion
There is a well organized, timed 5k run that takes place in Finsbury Park every Saturday morning at 9am. It's free, but you have to register: <http://www.parkrun.org.uk/finsbury/Home.aspx>;

Comments

• edited 6:55AM
    It is very good.

I have done it a few times, always well attended.
    Since the park is public space, what's to stop the unregistered from coincidentally running the same route at the same time?
    Would beginners be frowned upon? I've never ran for fun/sport (just the bus), but feel that I might like to break the habit of a lifetime.

Is there a leader? Will someone advise on how to pace myself, to remember to breathe etc?
    Beginners are not frowned upon, just trampled over, spat on and then laughed at in slow motion. In all seriousness, it's a laugh and it does help push you a bit more being surrounded by other people. There are all sorts, once I did it and there was a bloke pushing a pram around and yeah, he beat me! You see the course on the map there, have a couple of trial runs and then get involved as being timed really helps if you are trying to improve.
    How many people are there normally?
    There has been 60 - 80 the few times I've done it, some weeks have had more I think.

It does help with improving times if that's what you want to do, but also it is just a good excuse to get out of the house early on a Saturday.
  • RegReg
    edited May 2010
    Thanks for putting the link up. Me and her went on Saturday morning. There were 83 runners and although of varying ability I would say the pack is slightly skewed to 'not half bad' but I think this helps those of us in the bottom third of the table with something to aim for. It was well organised and a great way to start the weekend. Will def be going again and I would encourage anyone to have a go.
    @ADGS There's nothing to stop you from joining in if you're unregistered, but you won't get a time. If you register (for free) you get an account and you can see all your times and how much you improve over time. Quite useful really. Unfortunately, last week, they dumped 14tonnes of manure in the middle of the course half way through. The physical obstruction wasn't the problem; it was the smell that did me.
    Oooh this sounds good, i may have to check it out if i can get up in time :)
    @ missisclack - there are marshals and volunteers along the course. It's well marked out and plenty of people doing it to follow. Beginners are more than welcome and next week it's Park Run Free where everyone is encouraged to bring someone new. There's a bring and share picnic after also.
    Yeah, I'm sure it was good for the gardeners but the smell of that compost was rendering large tracts of the park fairly unpleasant for everyone else.
    It wsan't such a problem for the runners - we were past it in a flash, and if anything swerving round it made the course a few metres shorter - but I couldn't believe people were having picnics right next to it at the weekend. The smell would have put me right off my pork pie.
    Just a bump to this old thread to say the Park Run race is still going strong every Saturday with a healthy turnout. The volunteers who organise it week in week out are doing a wonderful job. It is truly a triumph of the Big Society. Join in and I expect you'll make David Cameron proud.
    I think I'd rather contend with a pile of stinky manure over the tons and tons of litter left by disgusting humans and their disgraceful picnicking habits every weekend. Honestly, what is wrong with people!?
  • IanIan
    edited 6:55AM
    @sincers - the big society approach is that we should always ask people who have dropped/left litter to pick it up and dispose of it properly. One of the many things I do that gets me into arguments with strangers...
    I agree. After a sunny weekend the park is an absolute heap of crap. I think a vigilante army should pick up the crap, follow people home and then dump it back through their letter boxes.
    Perhaps a few signs threatening fines, after all littering is an offence. A few high profile floggings would do the trick, I'm sure. Oh hang on, maybe its their civil right to litter, the poor things.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I think not Misscara. I regularly see people throwing rubbish on the floor when they are standing next to a bin, smokers in particular seem like to throw their debris around. Maybe having the word 'litter' in several different languages might help as people really don't seem to understand the concept of bins.
    Misscara - that strikes me as the same overly-soft approach which you rightly decry in the junkie scum thread. Even if a bin is overflowing, which park bins sadly often are, any civilised person can bag up their rubbish in a carrier and put said carrier next to the bin. And anyone who doesn't, doesn't deserve to use parks. Give 'em a year's ban and they'd remember sooner or later.
    Or take you litter home with you - its quite simple really.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    What we need is a return to the kind of <s>park keepers</s> parkies that the Beano was so fond of, with flat caps on, running after the Bash Street Kids and shaking an angry fist.
  • DKLDKL
    Saturday morning 9 am? any thing at the evenings?
    If it's specifically weekday evening races you want, I'd recommend the [Sri Chinmoy series in Battersea Park](http://uk.srichinmoyraces.org/races/london). For casual local running, you could try the Heathside training sessions at the Finsbury Park track, as mentioned on the other thread. They are every Tuesday and Thursday evening at 7pm. (Tuesdays are more popular.) In addition, Heathside organises steady runs (various different speeds / distances) leaving from the YMCA at 50 Tottenham Lane also on Tuesdays and Thursdays. London Heathside is a very friendly local running club, all abilities welcome as it was formed by the merger of a serious athletics club with a less serious jogging club. Just pop along to try either session out. Annual membership is pretty reasonable at £35 if it suits.
    Sorry can't not mention Synergy running club <http://www.crouchendrunning.co.uk/>; Its a lovely small club catering for all abilities, lots of older members, people with physical injuries etc. Its a very nurturing environment and the emphasis is on motivating each other to go out once or twice a week. Its about £55 for 8 sessions, including a couple of personal assessments. Just turn up on Wednesday night @ 7pm and say "I'm new" - ask for Sarra.
  • DKLDKL
    Thx,

it looks like i have to organize myself to be at the Park @ 7pm during the week:(
    @DKL, are you training for any of the races that seem to start poping up, like race for life or london 10k?
    Crouch End 10k is on May 21st too.
    its fully booked though :(