New Development Plan at Finsbury Park

edited September 2006 in Local discussion
[New Finsbury Park Plan](http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/content/islington/gazette/news/story.aspx?brand=ISLGOnline&category=news&tBrand=northlondon24&tCategory=newsislg&itemid=WeED06 Sep 2006 12:03:49:860) In summary 1. Knock down John Jones 2. Build a big new set of stuff (cinemas + shops - think wood green shopping city, i think) 3. Whack up a 'landmark tall building'. wtf? 4. ta da! THoughts?

Comments

• edited 1:21AM
    Just riffing through the document I come across the phrase "fonthill road fashion corridor".
    Stuff i didn't know FP is the busiest part of the transport system in London outside zone 1 36,000 people a day travel through the system p46 -on stroud green road 'quality of retail declines as we get closer to the station'. Hello wig shops, we're looking at you. The viability of office developments is thought to be 'very low' There is a 'notable absence' of corporate occupiers. The only examples being Nando's and Wetherspoons. It is not clear whether this is a good or bad thing....
  • edited September 2006
    Hmm. Can only spell doom I'd say. From my time living on Spitalfields and watching 'community development plans' slowly erode the old market, and somehow even demolish half a listed building, I can't help but bring out the doom-o-meter. If they really were interested in a _community core (sic)_ what about extending John Jones to have a classroom/art workshops, or build a swimming pool. No, more shops. That's what the community needs. What does the _'quality of retail declines'_ really mean? The shops certainly have trade and no doubt exist due to demand of local people - do they mean not enough high street brands? I don't like those shops, but obviously many do, and as such they should be left alone, if you want something of a better retail quality (wtf?) walk on another 5 mins and buy it there. I had a chat the other day with work Liz (not Liz Liz) about what makes a chain rather than a couple of shops after our Porchetta/Miso discussion, we decided national presence, London centric probably doesn't count. Seem fair?
  • LizLiz
    edited 1:21AM
    Feeling quite torn about this. First thoughts: cinema + more regeneration = good (i.e. service I would use plus surely higher house prices). On the downside, John Jones is a great place and the whole 'landmark tall building' bit seems ill thought through. What on earth would go in it? It sounds quite a lot like the N1 centre, which has both up and downsides. Though I don't know if even the good SGR sole traders would survive the arrival of chains.
    It boils down to an idea that 'community facilities' = 'shops' and there's no view past this.
  • LizLiz
    So what would we actually like then? I would definitely like a cinema. Swimming pool/gym would be good. Library? Or is that a bit 20th Century? They have DVDs and computers these days, though. Clearly feeling very unimaginative today.
    Paintball? Laser Quest?
    Actually, some sort of arty units/market thang of the type you used to find in Spitalfields/Colombia Road would be lovely please.
    oh please, lets have a laser quest, we can be the Kilburn of the East.
    The guns in our Laser Quest would have bayonets on them.
  • LizLiz
    Bring it on. Though seriously, a nice market would be great (though it is still retail...).
    Anyone seen that random fruit stall on the side of the car wash?
    16 days and no one points out the irony of a landmark tall building and the former stomping ground of abu hamza?
    We missed it through shear panic we might lose our pizza parlours.
    Very very good.

A landmark tall building....y'know, the sort you can see from a plane.
    Completely failed to contribute (even see) these postings. I think we should have an everyman/Electric style cinema - get the highbury lot and the crouch end lot and (looking at the crowd around these days) the Finsbury Park lot. Also, should we copy this lot to one of our councillors?
    *Councilor opens letter*
    "Cinema... Laser Quest... Abu Hamza... Err, how did this end up on my desk?"
    Pete, I'm going to get you banned if you're just going to come on here and make fun of me. I know someone who knows someone!
    I know someone who's related who knows someone who is often made fun of!
    I haven't banned anyone for ages. Last time I did, I had to learn how mySQL databases worked, so I'm not keen to do it again unless I have to.
    Who was banned?
    Andy banned me for adding a Pets section. He'd quickly descended into overlord control freak in the early days of this forum.