Museum of Guillaume Retz

Comments

• edited 10:35PM
    From discussions at the top of this thread, it sounds strongly to me as if this person doesn't exist and the whole enterprise is some sort of performance art/ spoof. @smog103, are you in on it?
    Walked past this evening, a load of rude pretentious bell ends hanging around outside. Posh tramps basically, this museum has been funded by the tax payer and it is an absolute disgrace, I half hope the local kids smash fuck out of it.
    @Memon74 - That's a pretty charmless post. Well done. Perhaps don't bother next time?
    Oh shame I missed it last night, I would have gone in, if only to check out the posh tramps, and get a free drink. I wonder if it's going to be open to the public. It seems a shame if its not, and not in keeping with their remit of working in 'undiscovered or under-explored spaces ...... and creating performances in response to them'. Surely that would be proper performance art. I can't really blame Haringey for taking a risk with this sort of thing. At least the shop got cleaned and painted. It would have just been another scruffy empty shop sitting there otherwise.
    It is open to the public - but the public have to make appointments. Which is perhaps not the best way of getting new audiences interested in art, but then I suppose it does reduce running costs if you don't need someone sat there all day on the off-chance of interested passers-by. Still, I'd have thought leaving it open for the whole of 1-2 days per week would be an acceptable compromise.
    "Open to the Public, but the Public have to make Appointments".

It's not a Doctor's Surgery or a Dentist is it ? It seems like they want to be more like some high brow Art Gallery than a genuine museum that is trying something different. Are they selling art ?
    Lots of smaller museums are only open by appointment. Granted, I never get round to making an appointment either (I've been failing to go to the <a href="http://www.atlaspress.co.uk/theLIP/index.cgi?action=patamuse">Pataphysical Museum</a> for about four years now), but it doesn't in itself signify anything but a lack of money for full-time staffing.
    Apologies for resuscitating an old thread (some will have been excited by the thought of a new thread with nearly 40 comments). But, this "museum" is still there and has clearly been around long enough not to be a joke. Has anyone actually been inside?
    Should turn it into a wig shop
    Lately the shutters seem to be down, even in the daytime - I'm not sure if that's just for security or means the project is defunct.
  • edited January 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    After looking through the window, I'm not convinced that much more pleasure/culture/insight would be gained by walking through the doors and taking a closer look, should it ever be open.

It looked a bit rubbish really.
    It never is 'open' in the sense of being able to wander in - it's appointment only and always has been.
    I know. My point is that I doubt it's worth the bother of making an appointment. Unfortunately.
    <A HREF="http://www.retzmuseum.co.uk/" target ="_blank">The Museum's website</A>

(don't have the energy to read back and see if already it has been posted)
    I am rather a fan of French animation and was influenced by the Red Ballon and The man who planted trees.I think I should visit the museum and then maybe suggest putting a blue plaque on his house. At last, a famous resident of Stroud Green, at least famous in Nantes!
    As stated earlier most very small galleries are appointment only as the people who run them usually have day jobs. The gallery could be a labour of love and not set up to make money, although someone has sugested that some type of funding from Haringey might be involved. A lot of galleries in Hackney and in places like Berlin are just studios that open now and again to show work and the appointment requirement is just down to the fact that to have an unpaid person waiting around all day for a few people to wander in and out is unrealistic.
    So how do I make an appointment?
    You could try calling the telephone number on the website, mpc kindly posted the link just above.
    I'm pretty sure there's now nothing in there.
    In case anyone is interested, here is an example of what you might find inside.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/13482732" width="400" height="320" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="">Guillaume Retz's Barbe Bleu (1942)</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1954983">unthank</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
    it's an interesting place and good to see another illustrious SG resident celebrated.

Two things, though; 1) if this man really lived in Stroud Green it is intersting that his legacy lived on in the demanding and complex animation field with the Flumps, also 'hatched' in this neighbourhood. Spooky. (PS did he live in Lorne Road...?)

2) I'm pleased for Guillaume that he's getting recognition and a Harringey grant, but it's not much of a look out for the Flumps is it? I would not make a quality comparison, but I know which has more fans.
    I can tell you that Disney are definitely not making a Flumps film any time soon.
    After Harry Potter (endless old Enid Blyton cliches recycled ) anything fantastical and 3D will sell annie which is why even an unlikely topic like the Flumps is reborn. Mark my words . Have you seen The Green Hornet film? No one a year ago would have belived it would be made - old, out of date etc - now it is in every cinema not showing Colin Firth. Not very good. But the Flumps could be a surprise hit. (The only thing I can't work out is - why 3D?)
    I tried calling, but no answer to the number.
    They aren't doing it.
  • edited January 2011
    Check out the entertainment section. Also the BBC London message board.

http://www.theflump.net/
    The Green Hornet film has been on the cards for the best part of a decade, most of that with Kevin Smith attached. It is doing surprisingly good business, but whether that's anything to do with the 3D is very much up for debate.
    (The only film whose 3D has really impressed me wasn't any of the blockbusters, it was <i>Coraline</i>. And <i>Inception</i> managed to be more vertiginous than any of them, without using the technology. I'm sure there are going to be great films which use 3D well, I'm just not sure we've seen many yet)
    Yes, I enjoyed Coraline in 3D too. The only other thing I've seen in 3D (apart from Jaws 3 with the duo toned glasses on) is Alice in Wonderland. I saw it at the IMAX and it made me feel sick - too whizzy and swoopy. The IMAX is quite a small place though, perhaps you need a bigger cinema to enjoy the new fangled effects.