Season Kitchen and Dining Room

Comments

• edited 6:02AM
    Further to my anti-plasma screen diatribe above, I've just returned from my first post-refurb trip to Porchetta and, with the screens safely inert, I really don't mind the new look once you're in (though how well it will age remains to be seen). And the pizzas remain brilliant - perhaps even slightly better than on a couple of more recent trips. So as long as I can steer clear of big screen events, I've forgiven them.
  • edited September 2010
    @Mirandola I could be wrong about this but I felt that once the Front Room moved in and was successful that a lot of other shops followed – e.g. Dhonia, Zasman Vet, The beauty parlour. To me that row of shops feels a lot nicer than it was before. Anyone want to back me up / contradict me?
  • IanIan
    edited 6:02AM
    @James - I'd agree, and it also did well enough, quickly enough, to get the lease for the shop nextdoor which it knocked through to and sorted it out from its previous mess. Dhonia was there already though.
    ADGS, glad you enjoyed it (and that the screens were off). I agree, in that I think the pizzas I've had recently - post refurb - have been brilliant. Had a look in the window of Season over the weekend. Looks good. Short menu but tasty looking and a nice looking atmosphere.
    Has anyone noticed the opening hours? I went past last night with the missus about 20:00 and it was closed. We went to Petek instead, great shish!
    Went to Season this weekend and my overall thoughts are:-

Decor really nice - but the aircon was so cold in there and we had to put on our jackets/coats for half the meal (I recall the one and only time I went when it was the South American place it was freezing too). We were seated by the window so perhaps it’s warmer further into the room.

Service was friendly and the menu is a good idea but the portions were so small and 2 of the people I was with went home and put a pizza in the oven as they were still so hungry. The steak was OK but not great and the crinkle cut chips were hot but not particularly flavoursome and the béarnaise sauce was just a small dollop.

The sticky toffee pudding was the star of the show.

The only coffee option was in a cheap filter jug which spilt all over the table when plunged.

Overall it was disappointing – perhaps more so because I was quite excited about having a new stylish option on SGR – but will give it another go and watch its progress with interest.
    Hi does anyone have the phone number for this? Thanks.
    I think it's 0207 263 5500 - was trying to find out the number and it's not listed yet but i remember looking at the top of the menu - could be wrong.
    I've not been yet, but I think it's important that they get given time to find their feet.
    Any recommendations among that lot, mapsa?
  • I hope they are reading this thread. Hello, anyone there?
  • edited September 2010
    Yeah that's the number thanks Jamber. I called to make a reservation, for info they close at 5pm on Sunday, closed all day Monday (and Tuesday this week only), next open on Wednesday night.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    No, couldn't find a website either. Spoke to the manager (I think) earlier, he mentioned they're doing a soft opening slowly to try and get things right without too much fanfare.
    yeah, because otherwise they'll get a kicking on the internet. oh.
    Hardly a kicking. Yet.
  • IanIan
    edited 6:02AM
    It is a modern problem for them - there is no such thing of a soft launch in our hood as we share information here quite quickly. I wish them well though and I hope they use here for a bit of feedback. I remember posting up my first Dotori experience and gave it a mixed but positive review. I now think it is one of the most fantastic places to eat in the democratic world, so people can tweak their offering and we can improve our views. Hopefully local retail and food places use this site in that spirit.
    I went here at the weekend. The quality of the food was first rate and the portion to price size was just right. It means you can enjoy two to three courses. If you want to get full on one course, go to Petek. The highlights were the pork chop and the sticky toffee pudding. The pork was cooked perfectly and was full of flavour. Agree that the coffee options are limited but this could be teething problems. I reckon a decent addition to SGR and recommend giving it a go.
    Until its been ripped to shreds by someone like predicaments it may as well not exist.
    Very good experience in here Friday night. The place was full. Splendid service, excellent food. They are still finding their feet in terms of stock - two items on their short menu were off, but they did have replacement specials. Pleasingly they had a bottle conditioned ale from Greenwich's Meantime brewery. Two groups who arrived after us did get their main courses before us, but that would be my only criticism. Highly recommended.
    If you'd been wearing your name badge I would have been sure to say hello.

We thoroughly enjoyed it. We found previous reports of diddy portions to be completely unfounded. We'll certainly be back.
    ditto, also Friday night. Must have been a group SGR outing.
    I was in the middle with the redhead and the steak, about 19:00.
    We tried to get in around 7.30pm on Saturday evening, but the place was fully booked till at least 9.30pm according to the waiter, so we trudged off to a dissapointing pizza at Porchetta and a nice couple of drinks at the Stapleton. Will be trying again.
    "I was in the middle with the redhead and the steak, about 19:00." I don't know why but this conjures up a fascinating image. Which side was the steak on? Was the redhead on a plate?
    "a nice couple of drinks at the Stapleton" Did I read aright?
    The redhead was served with fava beans and a fine chianti. The Stapleton is now an excellent place for both real ale and interesting larger. I can't vouch for the ciders, but it's off-season.
    Interesting larger what...?
    Blue Moon, an American craft beer. Hoegardenesque, should be served with a slice of Orange.
    @krappyrubsnif - yep, a nice couple of Abbot's, although it was probably a bit too loud - sound doesn't seem to be absorbed as well as in the Dairy, I think the pool table/table football area needs to be better divided from the seating running along the bar and I'd have preferred it if they didn't have that projector on. But overall, rather more relaxing than the dairy in general atmosphere.