Season Kitchen and Dining Room

Comments

• edited 9:07AM
    The big room at the back is ace. I had a group of pals in there the other night sat arund the roaring fireplace, it felt like being in a country house.
    Also, fantastic pint of Tribute from my favourite Cornish brewery. They had a good seasonal guest too, the name of which escapes me.
    That back room is really lovely now, a huge change from the Larrik days.

When the festive season comes I hope they put a gigantic Christmas tree festooned with baubles and lights in there and possibly invest in a Labrador or similar to snooze by the fire to complete the ambience.
    "I was in the middle with the redhead and the steak, about 19:00." This made me think of Jack Nicholson in the 70s. ![](http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Cvo4jwbe8wE/SkqfCPb_p_I/AAAAAAAACsI/KYZRH_W68o0/s400/Jack_Nicholson_and_Cher_byblos.JPG)
  • edited October 2010
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I've missed Blue Moons so much - I wonder if I could talk them into serving it with a slice of orange...
    While we are on the Stapleton.....word is getting around. I had to call someone I know yesterday who is a Crouch Ender and a radio journalist on the Today programme......he wanted to know if we could meet in the Stapleton as he'd heard good things about it. Mind you that Nick Robinson the political correspondent off the telly with the specs off was spotted in there a couple of months ago during the dying days of the 'Larrik' .... just shows these media people can't be relied on to have taste.
    This is ridiculous. I'm reposting the above on the Stapleton thread. Focus!
    Was in here on saturday night and def. a good addition to the area (although admittedly i've only been here 6 months). Staff were really friendly, food was great and prices are reasonable. 2 mains and a bottle of house white - £37 + tip. Apparently they had an initial week for family/friends, for a test run, and have been building up slowly since the official opening - the waitress said it is steadily getting busier.

Def. agree it's straight out of the Ramsay book of how to run a restaurant, but all the better for it given there isnt a similar SG option (unless you conflate it with the GastroPs). Short sharp menu, fresh 'local' produce, changing regularly. My mum went on Thursday, and had the menu Poxy showed, but just under half the items had changed by the time I went with frau mikecabic on saturday.

We were fairly conservative and went for moules marinere and steak and chips. The mussels were fine, nothing mindblowing, but the accompanying homemade soda bread was superb - apparently the chef is Irish. I had steak and chips - nice decent sized portion of chips, and the beef cut was skirt, which i guess is a bit unusual and different to the hanger in poxys photo - it tasted amazing and must keep the price down, but certainly not one for fans of fillet.

Overall i'd definitely reccommend it, and will try and head down once a month or so to try the new stuff. The only dissapointment was the wine we had, not bad for a house white, but the waitress did suggest one of the other options so on our head be it.

@ActionVerb - I was in there, on the table nearest the door with my missus! We had nabbed the last unreserved table, they were expecting two 'huge' groups although they hadn't shown by the time we left at 7.45.
  • I went to Season on Sat night and really enjoyed the meal and the restaurant so I would encourage everyone to give it a try. To start I had wild boar and venison salami with pickles and lamb cutlets with caponata for main. They were both very tasty and the other diners I was with had dishes including soft boiled egg with smoked pancetta, roasted bone marrow and some lovely fish served with panzanella. We all loved it and thought it reasonable at £30 a head including a bottle of prosecco and red wine with the meal. My only negative would be that the crinkle cut chips were not fried long enough to give them a decent crispy crunch. The decor and ambiance was great and I'll be back soon.
    I liked it. It ranged from really great to only okay, foodwise. Nice service and ambiance.
    They do have a website and an email address, btw, just very bizarrely they don't seem to have it on anything. Most odd way to open a restaurant

http://seasonkitchen.co.uk/
    it does have a menu!
    Last night they had chalked the menu on the pavement outside. Paving slabs: they're the new websites.
    Went this evening. Really enjoyed it and no portion size complaints. One of the chaps is amusingly grumpy too. He told a lady off for not knowing what caponata was. The caponata was very nice, too.
    Whats caponata... you know, just in case I want to go and don't want to get told off.
  • edited October 2010
    Gave it a shot tonight and thought it 'ok', was actually a bit disappointed but early days so will give it another try some other time.

Would reiterate the other comments about the food being pretty good quality, though the chef failed to make the béarnaise sauce for the steak, strange. And they didn't offer to reduce the price of dish without sauce.

The bread was very good.

Sea bream quite small, but well cooked. Felt like a lunch sized portion.

Lamb cutlets also good, seemed an ample portion.

Steak and chips looked good, chips excellent.

No wine.

Thought service was pretty poor. Had booked a table for 7pm, walked in bang on and the maitre'd gave me a look, looks at the clock on the wall - which is 6 minutes slow, as if to say "but you're early!". Ffs, a 'good evening' would have been nice even if I was early (we weren't)

Waitress was pleasant and seemingly in training which is fine. But maitre'd insisted on shadowing her which felt a bit crowded around our table of 3.

Not deal breakers but didn't make for a
    very comfortable evening.

Will go to support a local place, but not able to recommend anyone but locals go.
    I went there a few days ago... Had the autumn lamb with caponata, which was really tasty. We didn't have a starter but did go for a pudding - the plum and apple crumble was ruddy lovely!

All in all, delicious food at a very reasonably price. The staff were friendly and I love the decor in there. I will go again, without a doubt.
  • We ate there last night for the first time. It was full, so they're doing something right. I couldn't really see what it was though. The decor is ok, but loads of hard surfaces all round so it was very noisy, and the tables are small. Staff were ok.
    The food was pretty miserable though. My starter was a poached egg that looked as though it came out of one of those poachers you buy in John Lewis, on beetroot (plain), with 'sorrell' (a couple of leaves, but mostly lettuce). Sort of ok, but pretentious (moi?) and that'll be £5.95 sir. The woodpigeon that followed was so undercooked it bled all over the plate, with an artichoke mix that is still rumbing in my tum as I write this the following morning.
    Pudding: we had them all. Sticky toffee pudding was the best, (as others agree, but who needs another place for that), rice pudding was dry and sticky (prepared some time previously?), and the fruit crumble had boiling hot fruit and fairly raw crumble.
    The house red was fair, and the water comes in ginger beer-type bottles with wired tops that get in the way when you pour.
    Apart from that it was lovely.
  • Thank you for all your comments both positive and constructive. The positive comments help fuel our energy and the constructive comments are a great insight as to how we might improve. Our aim is to be a great local restaurant serving the local community and we're very grateful that you've shown so much interest in us. Thank you for your custom and we look forward to seeing you all again soon.
    Neil Gill, Season Kitchen.
    Keep coming back Neil, we'll keep you informed.
    I second that. I think it’s fair to say that we all wish you the best of luck. I shall keep going back as long as you employ that amazingly cute waitress.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I recall the heating being adequate, though it's a small place and the world does appear to be full of idiots who think it’s acceptable to dawdle in an open doorway or leave the door open after they enter a restaurant.
    We were there on Sunday evening and the heating is fine. There's a nice big air conditioner blasting warm air over the doorway, so we felt plenty warm enough. We had the veggie pie which was very nice with what looked like very fresh ingredients, and the Risotto, which was also above par. The sticky toffee pudding was fantastic, as has been mentioned previously. Will go again and go for something more adventurous next time.
    Hello Neil. I think it's fair to say that everyone is hoping that you'll do well and be around a long time.
    I went to Seasons last Friday along with three others,we booked in advance, just as well as the place was packed out. Good food and very good value, just hope it catches on.