Season Kitchen and Dining Room

Comments

• edited 1:01AM
    The Yanks have six kinds of cheese. Don't forget Velveeta.
    There's a Texas Longhorn cheese... nothing to write home about, unless you want to make Queso (Salsa con Queso, strictly speaking), in which case nothing else will do.
    I went to Season last night. It was great. It was simply one of the best meals I have had, in London, in ages. If it was in the West End it would have cost twice as much. The Ox tongue Daube (a sort of spanish stew) was wonderful. The Chocolate pot with Rosemary and Pepper won. A cheeky glass of Pineau de Charentes to start things off worked too. Lovely. And you can stumble home in 5 minutes.
    I'm not sure I'm doing my home side any favors by pitching in here but...you've forgotten cream cheese. And as a sidebar, I find Kraft's attempts to rebrand cream cheese as simply "Philadelphia" entertaing somehow.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Andy, I couldn't agree more. I went on Friday and had the ham terrine and the Ox cheek and they were both amazing. We also went there on New Years Eve. They created a set menu for our 18 strong party that was a big hit with everyone and lined the stomach perfectly for a long night. They are very accommodating so well worth a chat with them if you want to organise a birthday or the like.
    I can see cheese-spray based parties coming in the WLM's darkroom.
    Forgot there isn't one, sorry.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AliAli
    edited 1:01AM
    is that not where they keep the beer
    @Ali
    It's the orgy room. It's also available for hire.
    Has anyone been to Season for weekend brunch? I went last Sunday and yesterday at noon but is was closed on both occasions. The website says brunch is from 1130am so I am a bit confused.
  • R&JR&J
    edited 1:01AM
    JaneDoe - Same here. Twice I've popped down to try their brunch menu and both times they've been shut

Might go there for dinner again soon and ask them what's happening
    R&J - I emailed them to see what is going on and got this reply:

'We've not been able to find the right Chef to support Michael in his absence.

As a result we've now had to reduce our opening times to ensure consistent quality at our busy times.

We are currently only opening Tuesday to Saturday from 5.30pm-10.30pm.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused and hope to see you soon for dinner.'

As shame as I think brunch is the only meal I can afford there but would love to try it.
    If they can't keep their website updated with accurate times, or stick a notice in the window about changes, then I see no reason to believe they'd be any less slipshod in other core areas of their business. Pillocks.
  • Giles Coren gave them a cracking write-up in the Times about 10 days ago. Will try them again as I'm so easily swayed by that stuff.
    ADGS - I would rather they were closed than compromising on quality (especially at those prices). It's annoying but I think the sensible option when they are trying to build a reputation.

They should update the website though. I stood looking blankly at the shutters in a hung-over daze muttering 'but the internet said so' for several minutes the past two weekends.
    Hi Folks,

Sorry for the poor communicaton with reference to our opening times. As I expressed to JaneDoe in my e-mail we've made the decision to reduce our opening hours so we can focus on the consistency and continuous improvement of our dinner menu.

We really value all your feedback (particuarly the constructive) and look forward to seeing you all soon at Season. We've now amended the website to show the correct times of service.

The Pillocks of Season.
    Hello Season. Thanks for posting. The dinner I had was brilliant (as per my effusive review above).
    There are pillocks in Stroud Green and Season are not among them. Aren't we all glad they're having a go and doing a pretty good job? I love most of food available here in Stroud Green and I think Season tops it off nicely, and they care enough to keep an eye on this site and trawl through all of the mutterings. I've been twice and just wish I could afford to go more often...but where is the original chef?
    Season, you're ace. Keep it up. Looking forward to brunch.
    I haven't yet been due to temporarily straitened circumstances, but I often stand outside drooling over the menu. Looks splendid and all I've heard are good reports so you must be doing something right.
  • edited March 2011
    Baudelaire -- The Eyes of the Poor
    From Paris Spleen, 1869

(Haussman was actively redoing the now-famous Paris boulevards, which Baudelaire references below. Baudelaire popularized the image of the flaneur -- the casual, removed observer who sees and strolls to be seen in urban spaces.)

We had spent a long day together which to me had seemed short. We had duly promised each other that all our thoughts should be shared in common, and that our two souls henceforth be but one -- a dream which, after all, has nothing original about it except that, although dreamed by every man on earth, it has been realized by none.

That evening, a little tired, you wanted to sit down in front of a new cafe forming the corner of a new boulevard still littered with rubbish but that alreday displayed proudly its unfinished splendors. The cafe was dazzling. Even the gas burned with all the ardor of a debut, and lighted with all its might the blinding whiteness of the walls, the expanse of mirrors, the gold cornices and moldings, fat-cheeked pages dragged along by hounds on leash, laughing ladies with falcons on their writs, nymphs and goddesses bearing on their heads piles of fruits, pates and game, Hebes and Ganymedes holding out little amphoras of syrups or parti-colored ices; all history and all mythology pandering to gluttony.

On the street directly in front of us, a worthy man of about forty, with tired face and greying beard, was standing holding a small boy by the hand and carrying on his arm another little thing, still too weak to walk. He was playing nurse-maid, taking the children for an evening stroll. They were in rags. The three faces were extraordinarily serious, and those six eyes stared fixedly at the new cafe with admiration, equal in degree but differing in kind according to their ages.

The eyes of the fater said: "How beautiful it is! How beautiful it is! All the gold of the poor world must have found its way onto those walls." The eyes of the little boy: "How beautiful it is! How beautiful it is! But it is a house where only people who are not like us can go." As for the baby, he was much too fascinated to express anything but joy -- utterly stupid and profound.

Song writers say that pleasure ennobles the soul and softens the heart. The song was right that evening as far as I was concerned. Not only was I touched by this family of eyes but I was even a little ashamed of our glasses and decanters, too big for our thirst. I turned my eyes to look into yours, dear love, to read my thoughts in them; and as I plunged my eyes into your eyes, so beautiful and curiously soft, into those green eyes, home of Caprice and goverened by the Moon, you said: "Those people are insufferable with their great saucer eyes. Can't you tell the proprietor to send them away?"

So you see how difficult it is to understand one another, my dear angel, how incommunicable thought is, even between two people in love.
    I sometimes think New Labour and the Conservatives read the one where he restores a beggar's dignity by beating him up, and missed the irony.
    My partner and I went to Season Kitchen last night.. exceptional food.. almost like a little bit of fine dining in the middle of Finsbury Park..

My problem: service was awful, the manager barely cracked a smile all evening.. In comparison to Petek and Pappagones where you feel like a long lost friend every time you go in I was a bit disappointed!
    May have been a one off. I like the service in there compared to a lot of other places on SGR. They don't flirt too much, (not with me anyway) and they know a lot about the food and the wine.
    I've been to Season twice and loved it on both occasions :)
  • edited May 2011
    the swarthy waiter is a sour faced so and so but the one with the big quiff is fantastic
    @Seasons...your brilliant! I've eaten at your restaurant several times and each time the food and service has been nothing but consistently good.

I'm glad to have a restaurant of your quality on our doorstep.

PS - I like your comeback comment to ADGS..."The Pillocks of Season". Touché!