Urban Hiking

edited October 2010 in Local discussion
I enjoy a walk through the great british countryside as much as the next person, but have to say after a while a mountain, moor, forest, sea view loses its wow factor. I've recently become a fan of "urban walking" in London whereby you get on the bus/tube, travel 10 miles away and walk home through lots of different landscapes that London has to offer. Success so far have been East Ham into town via the canals and thames path and up through Islington to FP. Also done top of hampstead heath down to the London eye through camden, primrose hill, west end etc. Does anyone have any good walks that i should look into? I'm happy doing up to 15 miles, and of course the urban aspect of the walk allows for refreshments on the way....any good pubs to take in?

Comments

• edited 6:43AM
    The walk from Waltham Abbey into town is one I would avoid; it starts off beautiful but gets incredibly grim when you're pinned with the power lines between (grotty) canal and (raised, so unseeable) reservoirs. And the only pub's a Harvester.

I really like the stretch from Hammersmith to Richmond via Mortlake, though.
    On this theme, is there a best route from Stroud Green into central London? (More specifically, the Bloomsbury area?). I have some time to spare Monday morning and considered walking part of the way to work rather than suffering transport hell.

What would be the recommended route that is reasonably quick but also scenic.
    I generally go down (possibly via the trackside nature reserve) to Highbury Fields, then out Fieldway Crescent and through the churchyard to Liverpool Road, from which you can meander through Barnsbury. You do eventually have to come out on Caledonian Road for the last stretch down to King's Cross and then across to Bloomsbury, but not for terribly much of it.
    Where exactly is the trackside nature reserve, seems interesting? If I cycle, I go via Hornsey Rise, onto Benwell road and onto Liverpool road then along Barnsbury road. A route into Bloomsbury could be to continue onto Amwell Street at the lights on Pentonville road and to swing a right at the end of the hill, the street name alludes me at the moment, but it's a common cycle route so just follow most of the cyclists.

I once cycled up to Waltham Abbey along the canal and it was interesting if you like industrial landscapes but was also a bit grim. At one point a gang tried to stop me ( I guess to nick my bike).
    As regards, the Thameswalk, I did it for the first time this summer but from Kew to Putney. Amazing! I couldn't believe that Putney was in London. It so different from here. But give me Stroud Green anyday.
    Another vote for the Thameswalk. If you want to do an extended walk you could add Wimbledon Common, amazingly beautiful woodland in the middle of London (ok, not quite in the middle).

I commute between FP and Putney during the week, and while the location by the river is great I am always happy when I return to Stroud Green. People in Putney don't strike me as friendly and easygoing as here.
    It's a particular form of urban hiking, but I'd recommend CAMRA's London pub walks.

http://shop.camra.org.uk/DisplayDetail.aspx?prodid=125

Really.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I ended up on that floating walkway a couple of weekends back, more or less by accident, and then came out by St Pancras Old Church, which was a key location in a book I'd just read. Very atmospheric at dusk.

The trackside nature reserve is a walk alongside the train tracks from FP to Drayton Park. It starts on Seven Sisters Road just by the bridge and the 29/253 stop, across the road from FP station - through a gate and up some steps. And then it gradually widens until it becomes Gillespie Park, which will put you out next to the Tube station still lumbered with the slave name 'Arsenal'.
  • edited October 2010
    The floating walkway is very odd. That area along the canal around Kings Cross is so interesting. Camley Gardens is a relaxing stop off point.

Thanks ADGS. I will have to try out the trackside walk. It seems like Nania to me. I've never seen the entrance in over a decade of living and visiting this area.

For the Thameswalk. Don't forget Crouch Hill Station is a good way to get to Kew and Richmond via Gospel Oak. When I used it to get there it only took me about 30 mins or so. Be careful though as the lines often have engineering works occuring and the Barking to Gospel Oak line is infrequent. Non existent on some Sundays. I'd check out the TFL website before travelling.
    The posters warn that 'Most Sundays until 2011' it is out, which accords with my experience (and my girlfriend lives in Richmond so it is something on which I keep an eye). Additionally, I find that whichever direction I'm going, I have to wait eons for the change at Gospel Oak. Which is fine in summer, but if the weather's off I prefer to pick up the overground at H&I. More covered waiting space, for one thing.

I only discovered the trackside path last year, after living here most of a decade, so it does seem to have something of a perception filter.
  • edited October 2010
    double post
  • edited October 2010
    I love the floating walk. Being a geek about this sort of stuff I have being paying a lot of attention to that part of the world. If you want to see what it’s going to look like when it’s finished check this out: <http://www.kingscrosscentral.com/the_site>; If you want to see what the bouncy path looks like right now, go here: <http://www.constructionatkingscross.com/progress.html>; and change the camera to ‘installing bridge’. Don’t do it all at once though as it’s a live movable camera and you’ll be fighting for control of it. The camera is on top of the Guardian's King's Place building.
    And another shout out for Camley Natural Park. As beautiful and strange oasis. Very surreal losing yourself in a corner of that place, especially in the parts alongside the canal. You could be a long way from London.
    I find the countryside a bit hazardous so am keen on urban hiking.

That's my favourite London walk too Misscara. I also like continuing on down Parkway from Camden, through Regents Park (where you can peer through the zoo's railings at the wolves), out via the gate nearest the Open Air theatre and on down Baker Street to Hyde Park.

I've never been on that floating walkway - I will definitely investigate.

A big thumbs up to Camley from me too.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I've tried visiting Camley Street a few times but have never been successful in finding it. I've seen it signposted from St Pancras Way but each time I've tried the signs seem to lead to nowhere. Anyone know the easiest way to get there?
    There is but one entrance. Keep going up St Pancras Rd, the (huge) gate is on the right opposite the bridge that carries the Channel Tunnel rail link over the road.
    It's next to the entrance to St Pancras Lock/Boat Club.