K1 on stroud green road

edited October 2010 in Local discussion
As some of you are aware last night K1 decided to have a all nighter, finally deciding to finish after 5.30am. If enough of us contacted the relavent people we could get this problem sorted.

I would hazzard a guess that we want to have smal unique business in the area rather than large corporate machines but only if they care about the welfare of the local residents.
K1 obviously do not give a toss about the locals which seems to point to the fact that they are scum. This has been going on for years, once it was named Karmenz as most of you know (I am assuming that people even look at this post), and the problem has persisted, it is an ongoing problem etc.
One issue seems to be the fact it is on the border of two councils making it difficult for those on the Islington side to do anything but....
I contacted the poleice they gave me some details that I shall pass on and maybe we can turn this into an advantage, it could work in our favour having two councils on there back.

here are the details of the Tollington Safer Neibourhoods Team, they deal with anti social problems, contact them via email and leave a phone message and I have been told by the police that they will look into it. I was told to contact them by the CCC (Central Communications Command) the police contact i was put through to when I called at 4.35am this morning

Islington - Tollington Safer Neighbourhoods Team

Phone
020 7421 0559
07876 390652
Email:
  Tollington.snt@met.police.uk

here is another contact fopr Haringey council that is copied and paste from this sites pages on Karmenz:

Anyone with complaints about noise, public nuisance etc can write to Barrett Daliah Barrett the Licensing Lead Officer, Daliah.Barrett@haringey.gov.uk

here is the number for the islington noise team:

020 7527 3229 (8pm–2am on Sunday to Thursday; and 10pm–4am on Friday and Saturday)

I dont have Haringeys at the moment, please feel free to post it.

If we keep a record of this then we can sort it out, the more of us there are the quicker it will get sorted, photos, videos, complaints by phone and email etc.

Please forgive oversights in spelling and grammer as I only got two and a half hours sleep.

Comments

• edited 11:49AM
    You might want to use the search box (top right) to find the various threads on 'karmenz'. You may have found yourself some new friends.
    This was on the ''Karmenz and council contact'' this person seems to know their onions:

* twinspark
    * CommentTimeMay 23rd 2010

@northlondonlass

See direct phone number and e-mail at the council below - given your 'unique' position above premises I'm sure they'd like to hear from you on a weekly basis. [ @ADGS your flat must be in a microclimate where the wind blows the other way - or perhaps your off your head in K1 most of the time]

Subletting is just a tactic this place uses every time it gets pulled up by the council as the license is granted to specific name[s] and the previous manager was going to have her license revoked. The 'new' manager has a clean slate and claims they were not responsible for previous probs. This happened when it was Yaminas and Karmenz now as K1s Straight after their fine a new licensee name is above the door to avoid license being revoked. The actual owner is a serial offender who ran Triangle/WKD on Ferme Park, and Yamina's, Karmens,K1 and the place on corner of Japan Crescent. They are and have all been a nuisance to neighbours. I think his name is Danny and I know he lives on Victoria Terrace off Upper Tollington in a brightly coloured house on the left and has used his Mum and his girlfriends name as licensee in the past to avoid closure. I have no problem supplying this detail as Haringey saw fit to give him my name, address and home number - since when he has put letters through my door more than once and anyone else that complained suggesting we meet as he knows how to' solve' the problem.
    He also lets property abroad - so perhaps this has worked at town hall with foreign holiday/brown envelopes? The thing about K1 is it's obvious that the priority is to to sell late drink - and food is just an afterthought - when their license was suspended over Christmas until early Feb. they did nothing to promote the 'restaurant' - yet Jai Krishna has operated for over 30 years with out a license bring your own booze it can be done! - but K1 wants to be a late joint for underage drinkers from outside SG. btw Islington do not give details of complainants so mangers at Larrik and Old Dairy have never called me or offered an inducement to stop complaining. As for K1 just shut it down and stop the real owner from running licensed premises. It was always a mess with that stupid exploitative platform in the window to create six oreight more seats donwstairs and it's outward opening front door.

Call or e-mail this person everytime you have a problem and keep your own record of incidents.

020 8348 3148 out-of-hours complaints
    Daliah.Barrett@haringey.gov.uk
    What!! It was actually open??
    The sad fact is that so many bars around here use dubious 'soft' tactics to get away with being scum. We live in a world of spin. Many regulars on here bought Bee's tactics (the owner of Sugar Lounge). They then proceed to do what they want without much regard for their neighbours. They employ doormen who just don't stop anti social behaviour. Leave the tables out folded rather than taking them in.

My long term ex girlfriend lived at the back (a good few gardens away on Stapletonhall road though) of K1 (different name back then)and in the summer they had all night jams with their windows open. this is back nearly ten years ago.

All we ask is that you soundproof. Employ decent door people late at night who ask noisey patrons to move in. However, the best thing is to complain to the relevent authorities. I reckon we should form a little group to resist shit bars who have no respect for residents.
  • AliAli
    edited 11:49AM
    The unit which is now K1 was a launderette 10 years ago ?
    Maybe 8 years ago then! I did say nearly. About the same time Chapter One opened.
  • AliAli
    It was a very nice Moroccan restaurant for a few years before it came to be Karmez. Time does fly though as it must have been K1 for quite a while now
  • edited October 2010
    It was but they made a big amount of noise late at night. I love Moroccan music but when you have to hear it late at night in the summer and basically all you hear is the sound of tablas and other drums it puts you off it. I would prefer the old laundrette as now and again I want to wash my duvet. I think the Moroccan restaurant opened about 2001/2002. I guess it was a different owner then! There also used to be a newsagent next door over 12 years ago. (maybe 13.5 Ali) but late 90s.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AliAli
    I had heard it had something to do with the people who owed the Triangle just before in became the Triangle – can’t remember if the Triangle had a previous name before hand ! When the conversion to the Newsagent was done the whole building was painted bright colours so they may have owned the whole building that K1 is in. Someone on here will be able to establish who owns the building ?
    Danny owns all the buildings / houses in the area that are painted in red, yellow and green

HTH
    Hello

The problem i have is that Danny is my landlord and if we complain too much threatens to 'rehouse' us. Although other times says he understands my problems with the noise so it get confusing. As I can't afford to move at the moment I find it difficult to know what to do anymore. I've also spent a lot of time when it was Karmen having to fight this and call the council etc... and it's too stressful and nothing has changed. It needs everyone to call, even if they only visit one house if they are getting 5 calls every time it gets logged.

Having someone stand in your bedroom at 4am isn't very nice as a single woman, especially when they are always two men, one of which is usually ex-army and massive and there in order to protect the noise officer, but they have to be in your house it seems to deem how loud the noise is. My radiators vibrate when it's really loud.

The guy running it now, Kirk, is actually a nice guy, I don't think using the word scum helps or is relevant. He has actually bought the materials to put in a lowered roof although hasn't put it up yet, but it's a step. I don't know about the back, i thought they didn't keep the windows open anymore due to the noise. I've not seen them open in ages.

Karmen is just a bullshitter that much is true. The past two all-nighters, two weekends apart, were not great for me although both times i managed to be out until 3am (unusual for me) so although it was still a bit much I hadn't had to be in all night with the noise.

Haringey is the second worst council in the country for noise pollution. Go figure.

The out of hours number for Haringey is 020 8348 3148.
    Also re. Danny and his threats. Has anyone ever gone to either the police or council about this?
    @northlondon lass Right, first things first. Do you have a tenancy agreeement and contract with this character? If so you have a right to peaceful enjoyment of your residence, right to notice etc. without interference from your landlord. I am sure that other members can advise you in more detail but read your contract thoroughly. If you don't have a contract insist on one or move and learn a valuable lesson for the future. If you are being intimidated or threatened by your landlord you absolutely should register a complaint with the police providing you have taken all reasonable steps to resolve any problems. The noise control officers from the council do have to enter your premises to measure noise levels, they won't measure it out on the street. They usually advise that they will have to enter your bedroom when you speak to them on the phone. In Islington they will only consider progressing a complaint if the noise level as measured in your bedroom is deemed to be unacceptable. The definition of unacceptable varies from council to council and they are more flexible about cut off times on noise at the weekends - hence they often leave it until riduculous o'clock to come and visit. I found Islington's noise patrol chaps most reassuring and helpful. Good luck
    @ Norhlondonlass: A resident on SHR presented a report to the council licensing committee about this time last year - with complaints from over 30 different homes with hearing distance of K1. Their license was suspended from mid-Dec. to early Feb. In each of the hearings it became quite clear that K. was not 'getting it' and she didn't understand the penalty they faced or care about the problems for neighbours. Her solicitor pleaded successfully that she be allowed her 'livelihood' as the majority of the committee wanted to completely revoke their license. With a recurrence of the same problems they would probably do so now even though a new name/face is running it

As a tenant there must be some comeback for a landlord behaving like this surely?

The person on the alcohol licensing commitee to complain to is Daliah.Barrett@haringey.gov.uk she organised the hearings last year and has quite a hefty file of K1/Karmenz/Yamina's.
    re northlondonlass:

Your landlord has no right to threaten you like that as has been noted by others on this page. If all of us ring, email and generally complain the next time it happens we will have more than 30 compalints and I'm sure if this happens 2 or 3 times it will help. It could very quickly amount to just short of 100 complaints which will make the council take action.

I am not for getting rid of the idea of K1, a bar that people want to go to and have a drink, an independant local venue etc but what they do is taking the piss and we all know it.

Regarding some bloke from Haringey coming into your room and making an on the spot decision on if the noise is loud enough yo take action.....what is he? schooled in volumes? does he have an in built noise-ometer? their breaking the law. Thats it, no argument, doesnt matter if its the weekend. If you were partial to the odd conspiracy it's almost as if people in the council have told to turn a blind eye. Prehaps Danny, who owns the place has threatened to re-house Haringey noise patrol? But I doubt it.

Whats he going to do if all all of us complain? threaten us? the second the police are notified it gets far more serious.

So far, from reading this page and if you take at face value the comments (which of course do not amount to solid evidence) K1 are breaking the licensing laws, being anti social, causing noise pollution, responsible for sleep deprevation, have threatend residents and have tried to blackmail residents (see page relating to Karmenz and council contact info). This seems pretty clear regarding 1) their motives towards the business and 2) the residents.

I have spoken on the phone and via email to both the police and Haringey council. As most of you know Haringey has a 24 hour number for use by Haringey residents. I was told by the police that if you live in Islington and the noise is coming from Haringey, Islington still have to come out and deal with the complaint. Haringey informed me that they expect Islington to liase with them regarding a complaint made.

If we complain and they have to deal with it enough, all this liasing with each other will cause such a paper work headache that it is in both their interest to sort it out.

This blog site is for local residents to come together and share things they have noticed and through that make life that much more bearable through community. There in lies its power, we dont have to meet every week in the pub and get all pally, we have our own lives but we can use this community ''spirit'' to sort this problem out. Jesus, if my radiators vibrated from the noise I would be fuming and I would ike to know that people were behind me....which they are.

Regarding calling them scum, from the way they have acted for years and years they have proved themselves to be scum......in my opinion. Sorry if this causes offence and your right, it doesnt help the situation but after no sleep and having to keep a job down, forgive me that indiscretion.
    I have spoken to Islington council this morning regarding noise from a shope a few doors down from K1.

Regarding Haringey giving details, names and addresses etc of people who complained. I have been told that this is unethical and dhould not be done, the only point names are disclosed would be in a court hearing.

To stop the noise via sound volume or licsence, a complaint has to be made from the Haringey side of the street, whilst Islington residents can call, Islington council cant take action.

please, if you live in Haringey, please call and sort this out, I have done all i from my end and the law is the way it is.
    Anyone see/hear the 'party' going on last night, about 3 doors south of Karmenz? Bouncer on the door, no signs or anything but thumping music all the same. Karmenz was shut. It seemed odd, but can't help thinking they're linked.
    Yeah, I went past that, looked up at K to see it was quiet, and wondered the exact same thing.
    I came back about 2am last night and heard it and I live at least 50 metres away. Is it some sort of Speakeasy?
    Yeah - I'm above sainsburys on the other side of the road and it was fucking loud.
    I'm beginning to think the more we complain the more it gets their backs up. It's like a turf war thing. The people who own and work in these bars just go 'you want quiet, I'll give you loud'. But what's the solution? (By the way, this is just a random thought and not a statement).
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    regarding sturday night, there was some connection between the bastard disco and K1 as people were going to and from K1 to the bastard disco, Islington council are aware of this and noted it. Thus I posted about the bastard disco on this page.

re: kreuzkav, the solution is, as I have said before, based on what I have been told by the police and Islington council: a resident in Haringey must complain as Haringey licensing have the power to close them there and then. Islington do not. For those worried about Haringey giving out details, as I said in my last post, this giving of infomation is unethical and should not be done. Islington were honestly shocked when I told them this, one even refused to believe me.

call the licensing people. post any responce to me and I will forward to the individual in charge of licensing at Islington.

If someone in Haringey can make an official compliant that is it. I am sure that if we, the local residents were asked to put our names to a communal letter it would back our case even more and show support to those residents in Haringey, especially those who have been threatened by Danny with re-housing.

It needs some one from Haringey to take action or even better, several people, there is nothing more I can do sorting this out. That or we just keep getting our ears molested every few weekends.....
    I think it would be a lot easier to get residents together about the noise if we did actually try and meet, if only once, so that we know who lives on what side, who is prepared to keep contacting the council out of hours.
    Danny hasn't threatened me physically, just said if i don't like it i can move, which is true but no landlord i know of would write in a clause about noise!
    I've spoken to Daliah on the phone last year when it was Karmen actually running the place. They can't shut them down on the spot, it takes a lot of complaints, going to court etc. to terminate their licence.
    As for this 'bastard disco', I don't know about that, i did notice a shop having a refurb so perhaps they took it over for one night? If it continues then I'm sure we can get it shut because it would be an illegal rave?
    Is there not a Facebook group we could start so that discussions would be easier. I don't use this site that often but it would be good to know what support I have the resident living above the premises.
    Thoughts people? A drink at the Old Dairy perhaps one night after work?
    I think a meeting would be a good thing and I'm up for it. I don't suffer from K1 as I live nearly 100 m from it, but I do live on SGR itself and across from Sugar Lounge (not bad on the loud music front, but bad on controlling their outside customers, esp. during the heatwave). I think it's important we have some solidarity and if anyone does threaten anyone we can go to the police as a group.
    Noticed when I went past there's a baliff notice pasted to the window, dated 12/6/11.
  • edited June 2011
    Justice! Even though we didn't have the direct noise, we had the late night crowd pissing outside our house, revving their engines and being generally selfish scumbags who don't know how to behave after a few drinks.

On a positive note Sugar Lounge now have a doorman outside at the weekend. About time, but much appreciated! Thanks for getting things in order and respecting your neighbours! Could be more active though in calming people down. I've run bars and clubs and know what I'm talking about.
  • KazKaz
    I've hardly ever seen customers in there. What is it a front for?
    @ Kaz, I don't know much about it. It never seemed busy but the customers on Saturday night surely made a sound. I could hear the music from 100 m away when coming home to my flat on a Saturday night, though luckily not in my flat. But the impression I get from nearer residents is that they were really blasted out. At 4 am in the morning I was often woken up by probably
    30 selfish people who proceeded to rev up their trophy cars and piss outside the shops and houses on SGR after spending a half hour blasting music all over the road.