Bollards

IanIan
edited November 2010 in Local discussion
Those of you au fait with the traffic bollards at the junction of Regina Road and Tollington park will be aware that they are the subject of a long standing battle of wills between council and driver. Bollard is knocked down, bollard replaced, bollard is knocked down, bollard replaced. At some point one side will say enough is enough. Or perhaps not. Neither driver nor council will back down in the stand off between the two. Bollards have fallen, bravely in the service of the council and of residents that value ability to manoeuvre a tight turning into their street. Yet other brave bollards will still come forward to replace them. Today another new bollard was put in. I am putting this thread in place to see how long it lasts between it is knocked over again at which point I will update. Watch this space...

Comments

• IanIan
    edited December 2010
    It managed more than a whole month. The replaced bollard went down on Friday, my money on it being a casualty of the Pickfords removal van. At the moment it rests forlornly by the wall, to be replaced soon to await its fate. Watch this space for when it is replaced so the clock can start again.
  • The myth of Sisyphus is dead: the bollard is the metaphor for all our lives. 
  • edited 6:54AM
    It has long been my contention that only 1% at most of the world's population are actual people. The rest are just bollards given a vague semblance of life by a sorcerer's whimsy.

This is why everyone one meets, via whatever route, turns out also to be connected by other, entirely separate routes. There aren't that many of the real humans, so of course we all know each other via multiple routes.
    presumably the routes we know people by are actual physical routes turned into metaphor by the same sorcerer?
    but then, who do we "know" after all?
    Magic is in large part the art of taking metaphors literally, or vice versa.
    Philistine talks a load of old bollards
  • AGDADS: "sorcerer's whimsy" fnarrr.

Taff Bach: Malu cachu!
    I hadn't intended it as a euphemism along the lines of 'wizard's sleeve', but congratulations on out-innuendoing me.

Though if I'm going to get those two extra letters, I'd rather have the futureworld implications of ADGS AD.
    Wizard's sleeve is my favourite.
    Phil: Didn't he play for Manu Chao?
  • IanIan
    edited 6:54AM
    Bollard was put back today. Clock starts again.
  • IanIan
    Bollard has been knocked off, but has not been knocked over. Same bollard again. It isn't fixed to the floor any more, and the light that should be beneath it is exposed. I predict on my walk into work tomorrow the bollard will once again be completely knocked over. Good run: over a month, although taking in the Christmas break.
    okay, now more than a month and I can't believe there hasn't been an update. I check every single day. Ian - is this true? or have you gone on holiday?
  • IanIan
    Bollard was put back pretty promptly. All quiet at the moment. I wonder if it is now a priority bollard for Islington council and they replace it immediately to avoid exposure on this link.
    I'd just like to say that I think you're performing an important public service here, Ian.
    Indeed. Ian, can you start a photo-diary?
    Perhaps we could ask the pair of publicly employed layabouts in the council CCTV car to take the pictures for us
  • IanIan
    I like to think it could become our version of the Cambridge Trojan Room Coffee Machine, only without the webcam. I might start a photo diary then one day a spin off website in tribute, a sort of Laverne and Shirley to this site's Happy Days.
  • IanIan
    @PapaL I once saw one of those layabouts actually asleep in the car.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Ian, I always tell them to turn off the engine they leave running all the time on my way past - obviously they look at me dismissively and as if I am mad but it makes me feel a tiny bit better to tell them that they are bad for the enivironment and costing us money
    I like the updates too, I have no idea which bollard he is talking about but I'm really glad someone is looking out for its interests.
  • AliAli
    I like the google adds which come up with the thread. Nice combo of the Smart car and the bollard
  • edited July 2011
    Massive bollard disaster at the Victoria Road end of Lorne Road. Must have been at least a lorry, with some of the foundation torn out as well! Hope all is ok at Regina Road.
  • IanIan
    All quiet at Regina Road, setting a new record. About two months ago there was a minor tip on axis that looked like it would develop but ultimately it looked like measures were taken to calm the situation down. I can't help thinking that the council have now secured the bollard so strongly that it would survive a second Blitz. Rest assured though, if there is a change in status you will all be the first to know.
  • AliAli
    The metal bollard at the SGR end of Lorne Road is also looking a bit sad. Something big must have hit it and also must have got quite a bit of damage itself
    I hope they don't clear it up to soon, it really looks like something out of a Caspar David Friedrich painting, could develop into a tourist attraction. Big drama. I also noticed somebody on Lorne Road has a bollard in their green bin (!?)
    Ian - I suspect all the helicopters are flying around to check on the Bollard. Can you confirm? Update please!
    Now this is a bollard lamp post thing. <http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b012wc93>;