Miso closing down

Comments

• edited 3:23PM
    Dudley's closed too? Oh dear.
    Shame for the people at Miso, they seemed really friendly the time i went in, but unfortunately the food was pretty terrible. Far too much oil.
    Miso was still open last Friday?
  • IanIan
    edited January 2011
    Dudley's not taking cards was the beginning of the end. I never went, not my scene, but a shame. Nobody seems to make that unit work - and the last two tenants have made it far too bright and open to people staring in.
    I remember when Dudleys was some type of upmarket bar, frequented by the likes of Liz Hurley
    That's what the promotional blurb said at the time, never saw anybody at all in there to be honest then it shut down.
    It got very busy last Shrove Tuesday - if they could have done that every night, they would have been fine
    When did it open? It's been there a while I thought?
    If someone opened a Vietnamese restaurant where Dudleys is I reckon it would do quite well....
    I just remembered I said <a href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/1126/dudleys-pancake-house/">in November 2008</a> that I would eat my hat if Dudley's stayed open more than 6 months. Do I still have to?

Re-reading my comment I'd completely forgotten that it was the Symposium...anyone remember that?
    Yeah that was the name of the bar wasn't it? Must be about 10 years ago?
    No, Symposium was a restaurant. I think it only lasted about a year too? I don't remember what it was before that though.
    Symposium was Aroma Bakery beforehand.
  • edited January 2011
    Ah yes, it was, wasn't it. Is anyone thinking of Cizgi, which was where Miso was? That wasn't upmarket and was sometimes rather good. The atmosphere out the back was how I imagine a lively Turkish weding to be.
    That's it tosscat. Well remembered
    We were teased with the opening of a Vietnamese restaurant on the Dudley site. But it switched to the pancake place mid re-fit. Most annoying, I like a good Vietnamese meal me.
    Missisclack, my point indeed. Market research at the time of teasing (ie what people said on here) indicated it would definitely have done better than a place serving up pancakes that are like pizzas on a road that already had two titans of pizza. I reckon anyone who went into business with a decent Vietnamese chef could make a fortune in there.
    Need
    Spanish/Portuguese bar for tapas, superbock/estrella and La liga watching/holiday planning
    Vietnamese
    Non-chain coffee and cake shop/bakery
    Slightly more upmarket greasy spoon like Hamlets on Hornsey Road
    Bar with non-street facing outdoor space

Don't need / won't do well
    Additional fast food
    Pancakes
    Bar that appears to be a bit like E20 from Eastenders - chapter one
    Italian - potential turf wars
    Thai - Hmmmm. Could maybe take another?
  • edited January 2011
    How about a decent perfumery and/or sex entertainment venue?
    Dotori should move into the Miso space, they definitely need some extra room.
    I second @Eliz';s suggestion. I mostly can't be arsed to walk all the way down there. I thought perhaps Dhonia would benefit from moving into that space as well. Either that or a LaserQuest.
    The problem with Dotori is that you really need to have booked. I would go about 10 times more than I do at the moment if speculative popping-in showed results.
    A laserquest across both venues, through the flats above would be fun.
    For the record, I would destroy you all at Lazerquest. I'm phenomenally good, and happy to prove it.
    It looks like ex-Miso won't be closed for very long. There's now a huge Turkish-style BBQ pit c/w smoke hood where Miso's counter once stood.

In other news...

Rodavis (the hardware store, opposite Petek) is completely empty behind the shutters.

We now have a (poorly stocked) Chinese supermarket in the old Cherry Bean children's clothing store. It looks like it and the smaller Chinese Medicine place (next to Sainsbury's) have done a swap as the smaller place is now full of clothes.

The 'Essential' tat shop (in the old Mind Charity shop) is having a closing down sale.

The furniture upholstery business is up for sale.
    Please, not another kebeb shop. Tapas, Japanese, even Indian....just not Pizza or Kebab!
    oh dear god. please no. please please please.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.