Seriously......where do i live?

edited November 2010 in Local discussion
I'm at the end of Hanley Road, Hornsey Road side.

My phone bill says Upper Holloway
Estate agents commentary varies between crouch end borders (as if), Finsbury Park and Stroud Green.
I say Finsbury Park because its my tube, but Archway is just as close
The delights of Stroud Green Road are my main shopping and social areas.

So where the hell do i live then?

Comments and supporting arguments welcomed.

Comments

• AliAli
    edited 12:19AM
    Upper Holloway is the name of the Exchange your connected to. This will tell you all you ever wanted to know about it <http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/CLUPP>;
  • edited 12:19AM
    Hanley Road is still N4 so I think you can happily say Stroud Green?
    I would say Upper Holloway too as you live off the upper part of Hornsey road. Most people I've known around that area refer to it as Upper Holloway. Stroud Green extends more westwards from the upper part of Stroud Green Road, than eastwards, but as previousily discussed on here, it's not an exact science.
    Highgate Slopes
    Historically I think you are classed as Upper Holloway. Just to add another spanner in the works though, you are officially just in the borders of the 'Tollington' Parish/Ward.
    Meh. I'm with Brodiej. The streets north and south of Hanley Road and close to the Hornsey Road are too far east to be Upper Holloway, too far west to be Stroud Green, too far north to be Finsbury Park and on the whole not quite Highgate slopes.

I think we need to rescue 'Tollington' as a place name. Sounds good , dates back to the Domesday book and the ward roughly corresponds to the mystery zone.
    ...but my mates don't even know where stroud green is! let alone Tollington (unless they're Arsenal fans)

What about East Highgate? :-)
    Ah, but that's the thing. We need to create Tollington-knowledge. Perhaps by identifying a national dish.
    Based on local dishes that would be sausage, beans and chips
    I’ve called for the restoration of Tollington on here before – and that’s exactly where that area is, after all. The manor house off Tollington (the ‘Devil’s House’) was approximately where Hornsey baths are now. It might encompass the roads on both sides of Hornsey Road (but especially to the east) between the two railway lines – potentially a rather larger area than Stroud Green. If they ever come to redevelop the post-war estates around Seven Sisters it would be a great excuse for a rebranding exercise. I’d give my eye-teeth to work on the masterplan for that…
    The Devil's House? What what what?
    Brodiej,

If your friends don't know where Stroud Green is, what's the harm in saying you live in Tollington? It's just swapping one unknown for another.
    The main house of the manor of Tollington. Caught up in a legend about a highwayman called De Ville, but not much is known
  • AliAli
    edited 12:19AM
    First mention of Tollington is the year 1000, Stroud Green shows up in 1407 <http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=1374>; Did the history talk give a first date for Strud Green ?
  • edited November 2010
    I don't think so, he just pointed out that Stroud Green means 'green marsh', i.e. the flooded and barely habitable part between Hornsey, Tollington, Highbury, etc. Only the coming of the railway did anything significant about the drainage, which wasn't properly sorted until the 1920s.
    Have a read of the old history pictures in the back of the White Lion (for those of you who dare). Some good local history and interesting old photos in there.
    I'm very confused by the borders round these parts.

I think I could truthfully give Finsbury Park, Stroud Green or Tollington as where I stay, provided I said "next to", "down from" or "by" instead of the word "in"...

We'll all be fine 'til a war breaks out.
    ...I still don't know where Ferme Park is (was)......
    Ferme Park and Hornsey Vale appear to be synonymous. The park itself appears to be missing, unless it’s Stationers Park. That area was once known as ‘Abyssinia’, oddly enough.
    I might declare my front garden as Ferme Park.
    Once again, Arkady: Abysinnia? what what what?
    You’ll find a few references to it here and there, few of them very clear. My understanding is that the speculative development on the hill north of Mount View Road and east of Ferme Park Road as far as Tottenham Lane was originally known as ‘Abyssinia’, after a house facing Tottenham Lane itself. I’m reminded of ‘Japan House’ – perhaps just an exotic name for what was then a country residence outside of town. On Weston Park one of the social housing places is still called ‘Abyssinia Court’. You’ll find mention of it in the Wikipedia article on Crouch End and on British History Online. The name seems to have declined in favour of ‘Hornsey Vale’, which is itself threatened by ‘Crouch End creep’.
    Arkady - any chance you'd like to give a Stroud Green history talk?
  • edited November 2010
    I probably overly flatter myself when I say I would have given a more comprehensive one that that given by our man from the historical society recently, but only because he structured his talk around a limited number of old pictures and photographs (most of which I don’t have access to). He certainly knew a lot more detail than me when asked direct questions. Had I done it I would have structured it around maps, and given more of the wider context. I would have also insisted that people left their questions to the end, and made them leave if they asked about the history of their specific road.
    Especially if that road was going to be addressed later anyway, or had already been addressed but they'd missed it because they were tardy-ass mofos.
    Thank you so much for 'tardy-ass mofos', it will be reused.
    Some of the road names in Hornsey Vale (nee Abyssinia) changed after they had started to be built on as well. Nelson Rd used to be called Oakworth Road (there is still an Oakworth Court on the road) and there were also Gordon, Hanbury, Canon, Abyssinia and Enfield Roads which I presume became Inderwick, Mayfield, Denton and Uplands. Not sure where the extra one went though!?
    Brodiej, I would say you're still in SG. Upper Holloway has to be N19. Tollington is dead (pending rescusitation), definately not Finsbury Park or Crouch End.
    No N19 is definitely Archway!