Black Swan - 3pm @ Islington Vue....did anyone see the fracas at the end?

edited January 2011 in Local discussion
Complete long shot, but did anyone see this showing today? Great but horrible film by the way, but did anyone see/hear the woman at the end of the film near the back go absolutely mental at a group of people? I've never heard anything like it, and they must have done something pretty bad to yield such a response. The place was packed, and she brought proceedings to a standstill as we all waited for Ant&Dec or Jeremy Beadle (RIP) to come out with a microphone. She was screaming like a banshee and i could make out her saying something like "take your prejudices home with you" before belting out "YOU'LL HAVE MY TONGUE!!!!!!!!!"... scary stuff!

I wanted to know what had caused it, as everyone started laughing at her, and to be honest if she reacted that way they must have really been winding her up...which isn't nice.

For the record, Black Swan is a belter, but its more of a car crash than a pleasurable experience. Watch out for the finger nails! :-) yuck.

Comments

• edited 12:05AM
    She probably came to the realisation that she was at the Vue cineplex in the middle of the N1 shopping centre in what has become a horrible street (Upper Street), full of generic bars and restaurants that play generic house music and thought, 'has civilization descended to this.' Please SGR, don't turn into this.
  • edited January 2011
    Thanks Kreuzkav, why not mention Sugar Lounge, noise and patio chairs for good measure. Yawn.

Please start a thread called "i hate Upper Street". I will add..."i wanted to watch a film at 3pm, they had one on, it was great, i came home"
    I have gone to Vue a few times and I was just making a joke. I have not mentioned Sugar Lounge for ages as I realise it was pissing people off. Even though most of the responses were in response to other responses on here. And I got a lot of abuse from people, quite personal at times even though I never abused anyone on here. I have seen your name on here but don't know anything about you and my comment was just supposed to be funny and not a dig at
    you. I worked near Upper Street for a few years and I don't like the way it has become but there are some things I would still go to including Vue.

As regards Sugar Lounge you are the one who has brought this up. Not me. I'm even thinking of going to their literary night as I think this and food they are good at. The late night bar they're not so good at as they don't even employ a proper doorman like nearly every other late night bar does. They have one sometimes who just hangs out with the customers. I've run a club and bar and we employed one that made sure the residents weren't disturbed. At the moment it's not a big problem as it's winter. I'm sure you'd understand if you lived where I do. And i didn't move to Camden or above a pub.
    On a seperate note, has anyone invented an emoticon to depict rolling one's eyes yet? I'm not a fan of them but it could be useful.
    Oh dear, the toneless internet strikes again. No worries Kreuzkav. I too was making a joke, but it was at your expense. Sorry, forums allow you to do that when perhaps you wouldn't do normally. Lets hope SL closes down and they open a silent disco instead or a bookshop.
    I have invented one but I won't reveal it to Soft Cell fans. Where did your love go?
    I hate silent discos, very lostvagueness, the death of festivals.
    I love bookshops and I was hoping that one would open on SGR. Maybe SL could relocate to where you live.
    My sister was at the View for the very same performance . She is with us for the weekend to get her hair done at Vitor's and goes back to Belfast tomorrow. She was equaly shocked about the disturbance (and coming from Belfast that says something).

She loved the film and was keen to come back as she knows all about the Disney interest in this district given the Flump connection etc.

But thanks for pointing this out. Amazing.
    To quote Aleister Crowley on his deathbed 'i'm perplexed'.
    I love Upper Street. I think its one of the best high streets in London. I know there a of of chains, but we've had this discussion before. If you want only independents, you have to get yourself to a street market. As Vue complexes go, I think its quite a good one and quite tucked out of the way. Quite pricey though for not central London.
    Kreuzkav - what do you have against Lost Vagueness? It was tired towards the end, but its subsequent (superior) replacement is on a similar theme. Nothing quite like it anywhere else.
    Arky- I have nothing against Lost Vagueness. I haven't seen the new incarnation but as you said there was something staid about them 8 years ago. I'm not a big fan of that type of thing at festivals (prefer them to be about the music or perhaps comedy), so I'm probably not the best judge of them.

sincers- upper street has some redeeming factors but I don't like the way nearly everything feels the same there. Nearly all the bars are packed, expensive and play generic house. I like my bars to be individual and non-tacky. Vue does have a good selection. Some of the bars further afield like the Lexington on Pentonville Road and the Mucky Pup (haven't been there for a couple of years) on Queens Head Street, near Islington Green are quite good. I'm not really a street market person.

I think Stroud Green Road is a lot more varied. Leave aside Nandos, the Weatherspoon, and the supermarkets it's mostly independent. There are small chains like Porchetta but it's just a few restaurants. The bars are all quite different. Some of the blander establishments closed down like Chapter One, Dudleys and Miso. I think SGR doesn't like those type of places. What we could do with is an independent cinema (maybe in John Jones), a bakery and a good DVD store. Maybe Dudleys or Chapter One could be turned into one.
    I like Islington and Upper St. Screen on the Green is utterly marvellous although wildly expensive. Once you've moved away from Angel and the wretched, soulless N1 centre there are some interesting shops along Upper St, Atelier Abigail Ahern is paticularly noteworthy. There are also two, yes two, places to buy taxidermy should you feel the need for a nice stuffed monkey on a branch. On the restaurant front, there are many independents including the splendid Mem & Laz. Most of the bigger pubs are full of drunk teenagers dressed in Jack Wills and pretending they're on holiday in Rock but the mad Mexican place opposite the New Rose is always good fun. I like Chapel Market too but it's a bit noisy for those with sensitive ears.
    The Screen on the Green usually shows some good films but I don't like the lay-out (all the seats, apart from some at the back are on the one level) and it is very expensive. Of course there are some interesting and good places on Upper Street but I don't like the general vibe of the Street. The top part near Highbury Corner is a little bit better and the Union Chapel has some good gigs from time to time. I saw Marc Almond there twice.

Most of the best places are off Upper Street. Chapel market has the Veg In (an amazing veggie cheap and chearful place near the junction of Barnsbury Road, £4 a go). Nearly opposite there is the Salmon and Compass, a bar I used to go to about ten years ago. They used to put on some good club nights there but I think it's probably a generic place now. Turn left a walk a few minutes and your at the Lexington. It has an amazing live venue upstairs.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited January 2011
    What happened in the chuffing cinema???!!!!!
    ...don't forget the fancy dress shop, Preposterous Presents, I'd have thought there would be a few fans of that establishment on here.
    The wine shop on Upper Street - I think it's called The Sampler - is very good.
    The Sampler is great! I'm not a fan of Preposterous Presnts, I like Angels in town for fancy dress. One of the best charity shops I've found is on Upper Street.
    I like getting a bit merry at the Sampler prior to a night out on Upper Street. The sampling machines provide an experience not found elsewhere inthe UK, I'm told.
  • edited January 2011
    Yes, yes it is the SA one! It's completely amazing but don't tell anyone - they'll go and snaffle all the good treasure. The Sally Army one that just sells furniture near Walthamstow town hall is worth a trek too. If you want something like Berwick's, 'Blustons for Coats and Gowns' on Kentish Town road is the place to go.
    Upper Street reminds me of Romford. This is wrong.
    Have you ever actually been to Romford? Once you get north of the Green Upper St bears no resemblance. I'm a hundres per cent sure that you can't buy a taxidermy monkey in Romford for a start. The indoor shopping centre and the bit where Sainsburys is Romfordy style craphole though.
    One thing I've noticed is that tecently the very top end of Upper Street appears to be improving. It used to just be the Hope & Anchor and Cedar Room (the latter is now 'the Library') but now there are quite a few bars and restaurants. There's an excellent Italian, for instance.
    @miss_annie - I grew up there. Having to resort to citing an exotic taxidermist as a differentiator sounds like deep down you probably agree with me.
    How very odd, I did some of my growing up in Chadwell Heath - just down the road.