Park Theatre

edited January 2011 in Local discussion
We're getting <a href="http://www.parktheatre.co.uk/">a new theatre</a>. And a new cafe bar. Just up from the station where the old Islington parking office used to be. Volunteers needed for 'Your N4 Story'...

Comments

• edited 8:36PM
    Oops sorry I missed that one. It was news to me anyway.
  • edited January 2011
    Jez (artistic director) is asking what we all want for the opening show. His idea of 'N4 story' is interesting but could end up being a bit arid. On the otherhand Busby (on here) had some wonderful stories of the 40s and that would make a much better concept than the current set-up of Blackstock Road (sharks) vs Lorne Road (jets) with the W7 bombed in the middle (try doing that on your budget Jez!!) . I vote they get in touch with Busby.

The so-called 'cast iron hit' musical of Man About the House (set in Fonthill Road above Minerva) could be promising, or could be, you know, crap. That theme tune could carry it though - one of John Barry's best.

We had a 'brainstorm' in the Tollington household about the sort of shows we'd like to see. The younger ones were keen on certain animated children's shows brought to life (begining with F). Dorcas is up for the Vagina Catalogues (I think she said) and Hector wondered if they could feature Top Gear in some way. Personally I would like to see northern cabaret - Bernard Manning, Mick Hucknell etc.
  • The opening season just went on sale: http://parktheatre.co.uk/<br>;
  • So cool. Very much looking forward to visiting. I normally go to the Arcola in Dalston as they have this 'intimite' concept, too. Plus they have always great plays on.<br>
  • This will be much better. The panto looks ace and they have got have got that fruit and veg man involved about so it will be strawberries all the way . Wish there was a comedy nite tho. C'mon Jez! Chang
  • Ciao! <div><br></div><div>Haven't been on here for a while, as I moved out of the area a couple of years ago, but still with you in spirit.</div><div><br></div><div>May get done here by the old "plugging" rules but I'm producing one of the plays in the inaugural season: Yellow Face so please do come along!  It's very funny and David Yip is in it too.</div><div><br></div><div>It's nice to see some of the earlier members still on here too - at you krappyrubsnif & Arkady!</div><div><br></div><div>Lucyx</div>
  • Was he the Chinese Detective my mum raved about? I used to be called that and wondered why. I will book. Chang
  • Ah, good to see you Lucy.  Never thought of myself as an old-timer.  I have tickets to most of the opening shows - can't wait. Good luck - or is it break a leg?<br>
  • at ChangN4N6 - yup, he was the Chinese detective of the 1980s series and he was in Indiana Jones and James Bond.  We're very excited about him being involved!<div><br></div><div>Thanks Arkady - let me know when you're coming along as I'll be in and out for various performances once we get started.</div>
  • Great I am booking up now for my family. Chang
  • Will be there for first night of the season. Will look into booking yours too if there are seats left! Can we have some Peter Nichols next season? :)
  • Very happy kids, have already booked front row sets for the panto!
  • I've booked too! Anyone have any idea where our SG.org seat is? Think it was in the smaller space. 
  • edited April 2013
    I have opening night tickets too, plus tickets for the first night of the 'pre-opening' thing the week before.  My only unanswered question is - when does the cafe/bar open?  I understand that it will be open every day, and wondered if they would open before the season does.<br><br>Also, judging by my peek inside earlier in the week, they still have a lot to do!<br>
  • edited December 2017
  • School for Scandal - Guess Who's Enrolled ?! Name that tune. Chang
  • edited April 2013
    I think they're putting the final touches to the place now!
  • I have also booked for opening night!
  • Final touches? The place is still a building site with massive holes and grease poles. Of course Jes will be cracking the whip now so it will speed up, but don't say it's like finished cos it aint. C'mon Parko!!!! Chang
  • That tickled me.....
  • I was there on Friday and there's still a bit of work to do but it's much further advanced than a couple of months ago!  They're decorating the downstairs bar/cafe area with some cool old theatre windows.  Am very excited about it all!  Park 90 is all painted too.<div><br></div><div>@krappyrubsnif - pretty sure there are still tickets available, although great for me if there aren't! And, if Peter Nichols has a play with a great central role in it that I can play (male or female), and it's funny, then I'll certainly look into it!  Not familiar with all his stuff though.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • Front doors on now, and seats were going in as I passed. But from what I saw they do have a fair bit still to do. Still tickets available for opening night, and plenty for other nights.
  • This is great news . Jez was obviously laying down the law and it looks like the enterprise is back on track. Can't wait for the panto too. Chang Ps everyone on this site should book at least one ticket - or it will become a Liddle next year. C'mon .
  • Big crowd of actors outside tonight at about 7pm including the Chinese detective bloke. Presumably waiting for Jez who was delayed on his scooter from wood green according to the kebab man next door. Maureen Lipman is around a lot. Not sure if this is good news or not. Chang
  • Here for the opening night of the pre-opening showcase play. The place has a straight-out-of-Dalston feel, rather like the Arcola. Stripped back and utilitarian, lots of exposed brick and wood. the bar is great with an interesting beer selection. and an interest view from the cantilevered window. A splendid addition to the area.
  • And Jez is a brilliant host. Let us know about the show. Is it suitable for kids? Place does look half finished bit maybe that is the 'utilitarian ' look you praise. I agree a good addition to n4. Chang
  • Wow can't wait til I go next week! Woo-hoo! Hope tonight goes well.
  • Had a nose in. Not sure to what extent it's 'stripped back and utilitarian' versus 'not finished yet'. David Yip (Chinese Detective) is in Yellow Face, Lucy's play mentioned above.