ajani-grill restaurant and jazz, Hornsey Road off the Tollington Park

DKLDKL
edited May 2011 in Reviews
Hi
Have any of you visited new open restaurant on Hornsey Road?
I saw yesterday ad on the window about jazz live music, should be on 21 May Grand opening.
I was just wondering if any of you already had a meal there?
thx

Comments

• edited 6:28PM
    I went a week or so ago (already mentioned in separate thread). Wasn't bad at all and the waitress was charming. I'm out of the country for the 21 May opening, otherwise would go.
    I live round the corner and I've been meaning to pay it a visit but bit strapped for cash at moment.
    Sadly every time I have gone past I have not seen a single person in there.
    I've seen a few people in - but you're right, it is generally quite quiet.
  • DKLDKL
    edited 6:28PM
    i know the restaurant look quite empty but i have passed last i believe Thursday when they have a fajita night and i seen some people there.
    i have to go check it i will post u later on
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    BEST JAZZ & GRILL ON HORNSEY ROAD I'm looking forward to trying it.
    Arkady, you spelt every word in that comment correctly. What were you thinking?
    Couldn't bring myself to do it. Even the excessive capitals prompted a shiver.
    Ha! I know exactly how you feel, I've been tempted to do the Medi thing many times but the very thought gives me the heebie jeebies.
  • DKLDKL
    Hi Misscara,

unfortunately I am not connected to this restaurant. But I do live on Hornsey Road for over a year now and since I moved to the area I can see a lot of new development here: new shops, new beauty places and all of the the sudden decent restaurant between all those take aways shops.
    Sounds like something I should add to the map. Where is it exactly? Where I put <a href="http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/109484880">this patch of construction</a> ?
    Open Street Map! this is new to me, and very cool. There are allotments behind Quernmore Road???
    I think I’ve walked past the gates a thousand times without realising what they were.
    It's pretty much opposite the little shopping basket sign that's immediately north of the Bakery Outlet. I've heard rumours that the 'patch of construction' i.e. the block of flats/houses being built right where Tollington Park meets Hornsey will include a Tesco. Arkady-who-knows-all have you heard anything?
    I can’t access Islington’s website from here to check. ActionVerb is the man for that sort of thing anyway. I care more about how buildings look than what’s in them! The original planning reference is P061618 I think.
    The non-residential part of the development was originally granted permission for category B1 – i.e. business limited to 235 square metres of floor space - which I think is TESCO Express size.
    The original permission referenced above had office space at the ground floor (that's B1). This has been varied by application P110072, which had suggested 3 units with a mix of office/retail space, but it's quite obvious from the plans, and as part of P061618(C8), that it is one commercial unit, and a Tesco Express would fit the bill.
    Given that a Tesco Express has opened recently 500 yards away on Seven Sisters Road, seems unlikely.
    @Siolae I think Sainsbury's intention to open at the top of Blackstock Road & and as part of the Parade SGR development, having already replaced Woody's a couple of hundred yards up the road would blow that assumption out of the water.
    I heard that it would be a tesco from the man running the everything shop opposite and from the owner of the hardware store. Don't know what their sources were.
    I'm not usually a fan of those express versions of supermarkets, but Hornsey Road does really need some help. It's been a wasteland as long as I remember.

Thanks for posting the Open Street Map. I've seen it used in an iphone app but hadn't looked it up.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Misscara - do you know when they're opening?
    I love the fact that the hoarding with the picture on the Hornsey Road development paints a very different picture of life on it, than real life does.

Tesco Express is a tough one. Hurts small shops but definitely indicates an area improving.

And yes, they would see no issue with opening one that close to the Seven Sisters Road one - it's all about potential customer base and that is huge.

I definitely fancy trying out Ajani - I pray their ribs are good.
    Oh dear - I am fond of the 3 small convenience stores on Hornesy / Tollington and I can't see that they will survive.
    I can't see them surviving either. Maybe more hopeful for the other shops,i.e. hairdresser/Polish Deli/hardware/pet, and for Ajani.
    Whereabouts is this new Tesco on Seven Sisters Road? I haven't been down that neck of the woods for a while.
  • DKLDKL
    Actually i had a chat with the builders directly involved in this project and it will be Tesco Metro (much bigger then Tesco express but smaller then the one on SGR).

There was as well application for change of use of this big building- i believe that was old council office. we will see what that will be, maybe a big department;)
    This is really depressing news, I agree that Hornsey Rd needs something to give it a boost but it's sad that a Tesco is going to arrive there. Will be really bad news for the exisiting shops and will probably be the end of the bakery too (which admittedly isn't great). It also means that the view up Tollington Park towards Hornsey Rd will end in a big Tesco sign - I loved the months when the old building on this site was knocked down and the view in that space was of trees and sky. If this is gentrification I don't like it.
  • edited May 2011
    Tesco is very definitely not gentrification. If it was Waitrose that would be a different kettle.