Those birds up there

Does anyone know for sure what the space cadet birds wheeling in the sky above Stroud Green in summer are? I don't believe they're swallows despite the popular old saying - they're house martins, aren't they? Am I right? And where do they nest?

Comments

• edited 9:32AM
    I think they are swifts. A friend of mine has them in her garden in Stoke Newington, but they can't all nest there.
    I vote for swifts as well. They are screeching outside right now.

From http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8569267.stm

Swifts make their nests in holes in buildings from where they can launch themselves back onto the wing as they cannot take off from the ground.

These are birds that don't touch down for two years or more after they first leave the nest. Wow
    They are most definitely swifts. They've been here since April, I love watching them whizzing about. <http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/s/swift/index.aspx>;
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Go and get your bird book and tell me how you can tell a swift from a house martin on the wing at 100 feet in silhouette. Very similar, and from the small print I always thought house martins were the town birds and swifts their country cousins.

I know swallows which swoop low over river meadows and such, and there's a nice colony of sand martins in an artificial cliff at the bird sanctuary down near Kew.

Sounds like one for Springwatch.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Swifts have a much more defined 'V' in their tail and more likely to be found in cities nowadays. Don't think house martins make the squeaky schreeches.
    I love Springwatch, Chris Packham was shoehorning Manic Street Preachers song titles into the commentary this season.
    I was thinking about this the other day and concluded that they can't be house martins because you never see their nests (usually made of mud in the eaves of houses) because there isn't enough mud in town.
  • The Moray Rd swifts are back with a vengeance this year! They are screeching and swooping about like nobody's business. Beautiful.
  • There seem to be a lot of swifts about everywhere this year - which is heartening given the long winter and consequent shortage of insects seemed like it would be bad news for the high-flyers.
  • No shortage of insects taking chunks out out of me yesterday evening - but all the swifts were too high to be of any help!
  • edited July 2013
  • Common Swifts have longer, thinner wings and are all over greyish, although the young look scaly because they have white fringes to the feathers. House Martins are chunkier and have white underparts and bluish upperparts. (Barn) Swallows are blue above, white below, with a red throat patch and much longer tail streamers. <br><br>The birds you're talking about are most likely Common Swifts. The young all flock together after fledging and before flying off to Africa for the winter. They'll be catching insects to fatten up for their migration. They make a very recognisable 'screaming' sound. <br>