Riley's Ice Cream......it's the future!

edited July 2011 in Local discussion
I was bored, so i thought i'd go and try an ice cream at Riley's in Crouch End. My parents used to take me for an ice cream for a treat and now that i've been paying my own way for 15 years i thought i'd have one anyway. Absolutely marvellous. I saw a lad outside with what i thought was a "large" so i asked for that when i got in there. Turned out he had a small and i got the EU milk lake in a cone. Chocolate, vanilla and mint choc chip....all for £4.50 which seems a bit pricey in hindsight but when he handed it over and i felt the weight it seemed like a bargain. Go for 2 or just 1 flavour and it'll still be the largest ice cream you've ever had. Its £2.50 for small, £3.50 for medium. The bloke who runs it is very friendly, gives you lots of samples to help you make your choice. That said, if you've ever seen curb your enthusiasm (the one with larry in the queue at the ice cream parlour).....can i ask that you don't take the piss with this service because people behind you will stick their cone on your forehead. Ps: My GF saw Mccavoy and Duff in CE this week. We are so close to completing the Stroud Green and Crouch end celebrity bingo card.

Comments

• edited 12:14PM
    mmm, mint choc chip, the king of ice cream flavours.
    Did you happen to notice if they had coconut ice cream Brodiej? They have a particularly good coconut ice cream at Pappagone but they rarely display it. They keep it under the counter and produce it when you ask for it. Very curious.
    Miss Annie, the Ben and Jerry Coconuttery Fair is amazing. It is chocolatey and has caramel crispy chunks in it. Half price in Sainsburys just now.
    Yes they did, my GF had that so i decided i'd have a big mouthful of hers too. Very good.
    Rather than the future, it might well be the past, if Haringey's decision not to allow it to formally change the premises from shop to ice cream parlour isn't overturned. <http://www.planningservices.haringey.gov.uk/portal/servlets/ApplicationSearchServlet?PKID=235845>;
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I don't really know why the guy didn't get the permission beforehand, but the decision defies any logic whatsoever. High streets are dying, even in an affluent area like Crouch End. An entrepreneur takes on the the recession and tries something new which appears to resonate with the local population, and is in keeping with the high street...yet a planning officer stifles the development. They allowed a Waitrose, but not an independent shop. Can anyone see why this was rejected? I can only think that it was done on principle because he started before permission was granted. I hope they can find some common ground, and use some common sense. All this does is firm up my belief that there are large number of council workers who enjoy pointless power games during the day and then go home to their powerless domestic lives.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AliAli
    edited 12:14PM
    Ice Cream in winter is better than you think, they eat it by the bucket load in Moscow