Lost post

edited August 2011 in Local discussion
I've had such a bad run of items sent to me being lost in the post (three recorded delivery items and one normal parcel), I'm wondering if there's something more serious up with the local postal service. Anyone else had bad problems recently?

Comments

• edited 5:12AM
    I signed up to LoveFilm when I moved to the area a few months ago - the first batch took about 2 months to arrive, and the next 2 never turned up at all. When I phoned them, they said that SG had been flagged as having very unreliable post.

I now get everything sent to work instead...
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KazKaz
    edited 5:12AM
    I have also had post missing,from two addresses in the area. My last flat in Stapleton Hall Road always used to get loads of mail for properties either side as well as the same number in another road. I always make sure I deliver it to the right person, but not so sure everyone does the same. I always seem to get my bills though... I complained when it happened before, but got nowhere.
    Yep, SG's notorious for this. Have complained four times about the same thing (our post gets sent to the same number on Quernmore Road and vice versa. We're on Mount View). Parcels sent via Royal Mail get the red card treatment. We also get quite a lot of post meant for next door flats, while ours is delivered upstairs. I don't think anything really goes missing as everyone in the misdelivery chain is conscientious, but it's still annoying.
    Our neighbours put a note through our door a while back saying they get our post all the time, and do we get theirs - we don't - so I assume our letterbox is too small, and the postie just goes for the nearest, um, big slot.
    I completely agree - if I actually want to guarantee an item turning up, I have to get it sent to work. I've had numerous conversations with the sorting office over by Green Lanes who deny all knowledge of anything ever going missing. It's infuriating! Where is all our bloody post?
    At least two parcels lost. I've also started getting things sent to work.
    We've got one of those mailboxes attached to the wall next to our front door, but nobody seems to have the key for it. I've tried taping it up - but the posties keep breaking the tape and popping the post in. Even though our front door has a very visible letter flap.
    We don't seem to have many problems with post, there are occasional weeks with no post but generally it's fine. Lovefilm always shows up as do my eBay purchases, contact lenses etc. I've recently started selling my wares on Folksy and I've been really impressed with how smoothly things have gone with first class deliveries.
    I've had letters and postcards go missing, but no parcels (though many occasions of postie turning up without the parcel and with a "you were out note", per misscara).
    Ahhh, makes sense then!
    I've tried to get a few things delivered but most did not show up.
    Once ordered three headphones (which should have been sent together) and got only one...
    Never experienced problems of unreliable post in so called "developed" countries before but i guess that's england for ya ;)
    miss annie - what's your Folksy shop called?
  • edited August 2011
    Does anyone know if packets sent via the company 'UK Mail' are delivered to the street address by Royal Mail posties? Somebody recently used my name and address to buy an iPhone ... I only found out about this when it appeared on my phone bill. The phone never even reached my house and was presumably intercepted and nicked by the perpetrators on the way. I suspect massive collusion and theft by Royal Mail staff.

Luckily I haven't had to pay for the thing.

I believe BBC Panorama had a programme about this recently. 'Royal Mail'......'Royal Steal' more likely. Christmas presents vanished in the post two years ago and I NEVER send anything valuable in the post any more.
    I get a lot of post for other people and the people in the flats opposite get a lot of mine (kindly they always bring it round). I also have a problem with re-delivery of packages as they often don't come on the day booked, and before 9am on 1pm recorded delivery often comes late. I have missed a train before due to this. I have complained numerous times but it doesn't seem to make any difference at all.
  • edited August 2011
    Oooops, wrong thread
  • edited August 2011
    @Mirandola My craft shop is Annie Sparkles, I've been on Folksy for just about six weeks now and I sell at the Barboot in Crouch End too. <http://www.folksy.com/shops/anniesparkles>; I have a blog for the other creative stuff that I do <http://annieopalfruit.blogspot.com/>;
    We have no problem with post on Regina Road, but I sympathise. I had parcels not delivered and presumed stolen when I lived in Highbury and in Cambridge. It is important to complain - we did in Cambridge and eventually got a new postie, which stopped the problem.
    Our mail on Stapleton Hall is bad for parcels most have not arrived, I get them sent to the in laws in mountview which seems more reliable.
    I've had a lot of post recently turn up really late - in one case two weeks plus after the replacement item from Amazon had arrived. Part of it seems to be that someone can't read 'N4' in my editor's handwriting, as parcels from her generally arrive late with an enormous, ringed N4 over the address (her handwriting is not particularly bad). Oh, and one red card for an item the sorting office then couldn't find. Plus lots of mail for next door. But things definitely aren't as bad as they were a few years back when I too would get stuff for other roads entirely, half of a package &c.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RoyRoy
    Not had any problems so far - but you've all now made me rather paranoid about having anything sent here... roy
    Yikes! Well, at least I'm not alone...

PS My sorting office is the Upper Holloway one which I think covers the whole Stroud Green area, but just in case you've got a different one...
    I'm sure there were fewer problems when our sorting office was down by Finsbury Park station. The original postie when I moved here was also efficient and a lovely man. After he changed to work the flat part of Stroud Green, our neighbours would come out of their houses after post was delivered to exchange letters to the right address. Ah, that Detroit was an original. We saw him at Harringay Sainsburys two weeks ago - still works for the Royal Mail and probably still mixing up people's post....
    Just had a load of printer ink I ordered off ebay go missing - such a hassle - and typically happens the one time I wait until I've literally run out to order more!
    A letter dropped through my letter box on Sunday .....postmarked August 3rd. I presume it was dropped in by a neighbour....and that Postman Twat must have put it though the wrong door some time ago.
  • Our current postman is pretty good. Sometimes we run into him on the street, having just missed a delivery. He always recognises us and gives us the parcel.

The sorting office on Green Lanes is terrible. Last time I stood in a queue for half an hour. When I finally got to the window, they couldn't find the parcel. Said it must not have come back, yet. It was three days after we got the card. The guy told me to come back the next day, like I have nothing better to do with my time.

The last postman was awful. He never rang the bell, just put the card through the door. I worked nights then, so I was always home. He just didn't bother bringing the parcels with him. We complained to RM, who told the postie about it. Specifically told him who it was that complained. The next day he rang the bell and confronted Unaesthetic about it. We were furious. Complained again, this time about the threatening behaviour. They replaced him.
  • KazKaz
    @krappy - I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. I have waited a ridiculously long time for mail that has in the end been delivered by the postman. @rainbow_carnage - I can't believe they listened to you! When I complained once it seemed that it was my fault that the postman couldn't figure out that flat a, b and c was sometimes put by senders as flat 1, 2 and 3. I gave up after a few e-mails, figured it really wasn't worth it.