Meeting about Train Vibration

Sorry for late notification but If you live close to the "goblin" line you may want to know that people further upline have organised a meeting tonight about the growing problem of heavier and heavier trains.

It's in Rm 2, Waltham Forest Town Hall tonight at 7pm.
A functionary from Network Rail will be attending to discuss concerns.

Any questions call Kathy 0208 509 0771 or Lara 07932 450867

Comments

• edited 7:32PM
    My house (on Ferme Park Road) wobbles when they go past. Feels like a small quake. Can't do the foundations much good!
    Thanks to whoever put this up. We had our meeting last night, and about 30 residents from E17 showed up, all very angry with Network Rail. I read out two emails from residents at your end of the line, explaining that this is not a problem local to Walthamstow but one that appears to be affecting residents all the way along the Goblin track.

We are planning to hold another meeting in about 4 weeks' time, or earlier, and we hope that some of you from your end will come, and that there might also be representation from a local councillor and/or your MPs office. David Lammy is aware of our meeting last night, and seems keen to add support.

The next meeting will focus on Network Rail's response to our queries last night. And if any of you would like to see a copy of waht was discussed, we can email you the minutes plus some documentation supplied by NR. Then, if you can come next time, you will be up to speed.

The more of us who complain and show our anger aboutt his, the more likely we are to resolve the problem. Here, we have excellent support from our MP, Stella Creasy, and a brilliant local labour councillor, Clare Coghill, with support from a Tory councillor (whose home is affected very badly), Lawrence Wedderburn.
  • edited October 2011
    Do we know what type of trains they are that are causing the problems and what kind of frequency they run at?

I live about 100m away from the line and last night was the first time I have noticed it. The shaking was very obvious.
  • AliAli
    edited 7:32PM
    Is this not a Nuclear waste route ?
    I hear that when this opens - <http://londonist.com/2011/10/huge-port-project-in-thames-estuary-opening-date-announced.php>; much more freight may be send via the GOBLIN.
  • SBWSBW
    Perhaps someone should mention it to the estate agents marketing the luxury modern mews houses on MPV which back onto the line. I am sure they will add it to the brochure
  • AliAli
    Just been checking it seems like the Nuclear trains actually go via the North London Line not on here
    The issue is the same whether the North London line or Goblin is another bugbare of mine caused by the vibrations . Somone needs to take a picture of my recently renewed concrete paths.
    At one time Islington was declared a Nuclear Free Zone in 1980s . After raised it at Labour Party in Hillrise [ NB below].
    They used to re route it regularly and a friend in Hampstead 's bed collapsed !!I had a glass lampshade in my shower room fall over the toilet .Maybe this is why it comes at 4.30am So the LA came in with the meter that registered earthquake proportions then broke but they didn't admit to me about it .
    When I spoke to an estate agent 7/8 years ago when the house next door was being sold he found a surveyor to buy who is no longer there but got the best price on street when left.

We also have foundations which are only half body height ??!!Well the cellar is.The train here is in a very deep cutting [ viaduct? ]

By the way on lots of different websites my local labour party seems to change . Am I Hillrise, Tollington,Junction? When did it change because don't recall being notified.The Councillors never contact you to resolve anyway or tell you with glee they are not your constituent . Are they not our representatives ? Or is the procedure of an Executive being abused because Cllrs so busy leave everything to those on corporate remits.
  • edited December 2017
    I've just received copies of the minutes from the last meeting. I didn't attend due to short notice. There are plans for another meeting at the end of this month. Anybody want copies of the minutes? Whisper if so.
  • edited July 2012
    There's another meeting about this on Friday in Walthamstow... <br><br> <i>On Friday 13th July at 5.30pm at the Town Hall, room 2b, Stella Creasy MP will be leading a meeting with Network Rail in Walthamstow regarding the very real problem of vibrations from the freight trains that run along the Goblin line.  <br><br> Some of you will have attended or heard about the meeting we held last year at the Town Hall, also with Network Rail. What was important about that meeting was that so many of us were there: we showed Network Rail that local residents really are unhappy about the situation.  <br><br> We really hope that as many, and hopefully more, will attend this second meeting. If Network Rail get the impression that only a handful of us are bothered, we don't stand a hope in hell of effecting any change. It is vital, if you are able to come, that you do come, and express your views at this meeting. It would also be really wonderful if you could spread the word to neighbours and friends living close to the tracks.  <br><br> Some have felt, in the last few months, that our houses haven't rumbled and trembled quite as much as before, however there have still been some very bad cases of heavy vibrations which cannot be good for our homes. Moreover, all the signs suggest that there will be more freight trains, possibly even longer and heavier than they are now, running along the line in the years to come. If we don't voice our opposition, we will end up with a critical situation that none of us will be able to change.  <br><br> It is fantastic that Stella Creasy MP is so supportive. It matters a lot that she is attending this meeting with Cllr Clare Coghill, who did such fine work at the last meeting, and whose energy and commitment have played a vital part in getting this far.  <br><br> So, please, add your support, weight and voice to this -- and join us. We have to make Network Rail accountable to all of us, not just freight companies!  <br><br> Any changes, we will let you know. In the meantime, please do your best to make a space in your diary. We know it's happening while some of you might be on the way home from work, or still at work, but if there is any chance you can sneak away early, or send someone on your behalf, please do. This is a rare opportunity to get our views across. And remember: SPREAD THE WORD!</i> <br><br> Anybody going?
  • The Goblin line? Is that what Gringotts uses to transport its gold?<br>
  • RoyRoy
    edited July 2012
    The GOBLIN is the Gospel Oak to Barking LINe (formerly National Rail but these days part of the London Overground network).<br>
  • <p>I've always liked it calling it the GOBLIN line.  When the user group started using BGOLUG it just didn't have the same friendly ring to it.  </p><p>The user group website is http://www.barking-gospeloak.org.uk/ - although there's nothing about the meeting tomorrow on there?</p>
  • edited July 2012
    @wisteria53: thanks for the link, I use the line a lot, and my bed gets seriously rattled by the overnight freight trains, so I just sent them my £3 membership ... a bargain for such 'a good thing'.
  • This is a very good group and I have started using this line to visit some clients. Worth joining. Chang
  • Thanks Donna.<div><br></div><div>What on earth was going on lastnight (Monday 29th)? It was absurd!</div><div><br></div>
  • They are reshunting the old stock before repairs and it will happen for 2 more Mondays. Chang
  • <p><strong><font color="#333399">History of the GOBLIN line talk on Saturday 10 November</font></strong></p><p> </p><hr><p><em><font size="2">From the BARKING - GOSPEL OAK LINE USER GROUP e-bulletin of 1 November 2012 (http://www.barking-gospeloak.org.uk)</font></em></p><p>TALK BY JIM CONNOR AT THE RAILWAY FIELDS, HARRINGAY <br></p><p>Some of our members will remember Jim Connor as the author of two books about the Barking – Gospel Oak Line:- <br>§ The Tottenham Joint Lines, published by Connor & Butler in 1993 and <br>§ St. Pancras to Barking, published by Middleton Press in 2005. <br><br>Jim has also been involved in the production of many books and videos about London’s lost railways and railway stations and he founded and edited The London Railway Record until this year and still contributes to the magazine. <br><br>Jim will be giving a talk about the origins and history of the Barking – Gospel Oak Line on Saturday, 10th November at 14:30 hours at the Railway Fields Local Nature Reserve, across the road from the entrance to Harringay Green Lanes station. The nature reserve has been in existence for some years and is on the site of the former Harringay Stadium goods yard which closed on 3rd February 1964. A poster, advertising the talk is attached to this email. <br><br>It is appropriate to record here the loss of another part of the line’s heritage. St. Anne’s Road station opened on 2nd October 1882 and was closed on 9th August 1942. While the wooden platforms and buildings had disappeared by the late 1940s, the brick booking office, at street level on Seven Sisters Road remained, in use as a shop. Word has reached me that this 130 year old building has recently been demolished. <br><br>Glenn Wallis <br>Assistant Secretary <br>Barking – Gospel Oak Line User Group<br><br></p>