New cafe

1235»

Comments

• There's a lady in there often at the weekends who I'm sure is off the telly, but I don't know who she is and don't like to ask.<br>
  • @<;SPAN class=Author><A href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/profile/296/checkski">checkski</A> Checked a few of her songs on youtube. Won't be rushing out to buy any of it </SPAN>
  • I bought some whole cakes from Vagabond for my birthday today. A carrot loaf and an apple loaf.<br>I cut them up to share with colleagues this afternoon to 'ooo's and 'aaah's from all around and we were not disappointed - they are the best darn cakes I've had, possibly ever.<br>EVERYONE was asking where I got them from.<br>Absolutely incredible carrot cake.<br><br>And a very big thank you to the guy (I wish I knew his name!) who said happy birthday and gave me a KeepCup as a gift. Very thoughtful indeed and now, in my view, has made Vagabond the best coffee shop on the entire planet.<br><br>I LOVE THIS PLACE<br>
  • ...and the Timeout review should have given them FIVE stars!!!!!!!!!!<br>
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Really enjoy the coffee in Vagabond. Wish it was a little more comfortable though! Interesting to read about the cakes because I have been very disappointed the both times I've had food in there.</font>
  • edited March 2012
    We have food there regularly, egg and bacon sandwiches, omelette and a couple of different soups all good, havent tried any of the cakes yet though. @barnesbq did you order the whole cakes in advance, or were they happy to sell the whole thing there and then?
  • The egg and bacon sandwiches are some seriously gourmet shit.  Yes, I described an egg and bacon sarnie as gourmet. They do a mean omlette too.<br>
  • almond croissant and a latte ... heavenly.
  • carrot cake every time.<br>
  • edited March 2012
    Sorry to strike a sour note here. But ... I called in to Vagabond earlier in the week, mid morning, for coffee and a sandwich, before heading off to work. Having the rare chance of a late start, and it being a bright sunny day, breakfast at Vagabond was my treat to me. I took the egg and bacon sandwich option. It arrived wrapped in paper, nice touch, but the bread in the top was so dry I though at first it was toasted, until I realised the other slices weren't. It was just plain stale. The guy at the counter apologised when I took it back, adding that it was made two hours ago - which would have been around 8.15am - and so, indeed, probably was not good. So if indeed it was probably not good why serve it? Did he hope I would dumbly eat up and pay? Grrr ... Of course I did not pay. He offered me my coffee for free, which I declined because somehow that felt a bit like a bribe. I hope this is not the sign of things to come. Rant over. ["Good. 'Cos that's enough complaining" Ed]
  • I always let the shop keeper try and make it up to me.  I don't think of it as a bribe.   I'd be doing the same in their position.    <div><br></div><div>I had my haircut free this week, because I was kept waiting for 45 minutes.  If they want me to come back and keep spending it makes sense.    They always get extra points if it's offered without the bother of me having to get arsey.</div>
  • Look out for the new tables, being built now as I type. It will be great to sit outside and enjoy the sunshine.<br>
  • Just tried this place. The best coffee I've had for a long time. Had banana cake and the apple slice thing. Delicious. What a great addition to the area.
  • @ActionVerb I ordered them three days in advance, but I'd ask in case they can do a quicker turnaround should you require.
  • Just have to give a big thumbs up on here to the absolutely amazing, delicious choc chip cookies they have started serving. Oh my god they are heavenly. I've eaten a Lot of biscuits in my time and I can honestly say these are among the best cookies I have ever tasted. They seem to have them on Fridays. They are so yummy, they melt in your mouth and really taste homemade and fresh, you haven't lived til you have tried them. I have had 3 in the last week, I cannot resist them. Also I love their bacon and egg sandwiches.
  • I like the way they've made <i>everything</i> out of wooden planks, except the plates.<br><br>Come on guys, serve us up an omelette on a plate, not a re-used piece of old wooden plank.<br><br>I could taste plank.<br>
  • I like the planks. But they need to move to a bigger space.
  • Mmm, had great iced coffee there this morning. The roasted vegetable focaccia are also v good. I do wish that coffee shops here had sugar syrup, like they do in Israel, for use in iced coffee and other cold drinks. I suppose it isn't hot for long enough to warrant it. <br>