Moving to Stroud Green - recommendations please!

Comments

• <P>checkski is an educated gentleman who can speak russian,vetski is a vet or something...  </P> <P>hope this helps.. </P>
  • Vetski isn't a vet, that's Chang!<br>
  • checkski knows alot about music and used to be a music teacher...chang is a vet and his brother in law is tollington tom and his mother in law is dorcus...chang is a chelsea fc fan...chang does not approve of snobs but he does like vitors barbers in tollington park...so who is vetski?
  • Ali - thanks for info about Clearway van. Glad all the lobbying a out the smells in Lorne Road finally resulted insome proper hygienic investigation. Those who live there or have to walk down it on the days the stink is present will be delighted if the hole is the source of the smells and hopefully it can be cleaned or better still blocked up. Chrisn4 I am amazed u know all about me....But you dOnt mention I am now separated tho on good terms with ex and family! And now 'foot loose and fancy free' (and going with Paul to Sugars tonight!) Chang
  • Yes, I'm amazed too. ChrisN4 is obviously a close student of the dramatis personae in that fictional masterpiece called SG.org. I hope he is not also hacking our phones. . For the record, I am not related to Vetski, and not Russian, although I once had an A Level in that subject, which I occasionally, and almost completely unsuccessfully , try to revive with the Vagabonds.
  • Thank you, checkski.<br><br>Vetski, by the way, is very lovely person. <br><br>I'm not, but that's a different matter. <br>
  • Chang is also a bit greyish, not that tall, and has lovely melancholy in his eyes. 
  • <P>I'm not a vet, it's an abbreviation of my Christian name, and I'm not Russian - I just enjoy wintersports. I'm not related to @checkski, but I am an educated woman!</P> <P>Thanks for the plaudit, @Stella, but don't do yourself down - I think you're nice! Mind you, I might change my mind if I ever submit myself to your editing machete...</P>
  • Always thought that surnames ending with -ski are <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Prime_Ministers_of_Poland">Polish</a>, while <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_leaders_of_the_Russian_SFSR">Russian</a> ones should end with -ov or -in. Do people associate "ski" with Russia because of the snow? Are all Poles skiers?
  • @vetski<;br><br>I promise I'd be gentle. ;-)<br>
  • Um, Stravinsky was Russian, Chopin was Polish... and that's just for starters!
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Stravinsky's father was from Poland, Chopins are French. However, odd examples of Russians with Polish surnames (not a big deal for neighboring countries) do not explain why everyone believes that -ski is Russian. </font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Hypothesis, that all Poles were regarded as citizens of Russian Empire when in the time immemorial Poland was a part of it, does not seem credible. It is unlikely that Polish expats/migrants would claim or even allow to refer to themselves as Russians.</font></div>
  • Nevertheless, Russia is a very very very large (understatement) country so stating that <b>all </b>their surnames must end with -ov or -in is probably a little too restrictive. Same for Polish surnames. Just sayin'.<br>
  • edited February 2012
    <div><span style="font-size: 10pt; ">Harp, can you highlight the words</span><b style="font-size: 10pt; "> all</b><span style="font-size: 10pt; "> and <b>must</b> in my sentence please? No, you can not? Oh damn.</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt; "><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt; ">Appears, you also misread "-ski surnames are Polish" as "all Poles have -ski surnames". There is difference between such statements, and you do not need to study set theory to spot it.</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt; "><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt; "><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt; ">The mystery why people think that -ski is Russian, stays unexplained.</span></div>
  • <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Kerenski, Dostoievski, Nijinski. Nevski, Ouspenski, Nijinski. Spasski, Moussorgski, Miaskovski. Hmm. An awful lot of ‘-ski’ names there. All with Polish fathers, obviously. Must be so, because Janez say it’s so, and she went to a very good school, you know.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
  • PS. Are you Polish, Janez? Just a thought.
  • @Miss Annie, we're not on Moray Rd , a few doors down on Fonthill Rd from the N4/Fonthill (which has been quieter, although they seem to have moved their fights to the afternoon, suits me fine). There was someone who lives a fair bit closer on Moray Rd in the other thread though.  <div><br></div><div>On surnames, -ov is more russian than -ski in ending terms. I'm not aware of any -ski endings in my family, but there are a few -ovs. </div>
  • Better watch out checkski or you may be accused of being a Trotski.  I think English surnames should end with "ith", French ones with "ont" or "elle", Germans with "ich" and the Italians and Spanish will have to fight over "a" and "o".
  • -sky, -ski, -ov etc. are all slavic suffixes indicating place of origin.  The further west you go the more likely that variations of 'ski' will be found, but it's not as clear as saying one is Russian and one is west Slavic, let alone Polish.
  • edited February 2012
    '-ski' applied to names is most commonly a Yiddish affectionate diminutive form, similar to dimnutive endings in the related Germanic language Dutch, <b> -ske </b>and its offshoot Afrikaans, <b>-kie</b>. The proxmity to the Slavic languages' diminutive form 'ska' is an influencing factor. <br><br>Do not confuse the Slavic adjectival ending -ski (e.g. Polski meaining Polish)  which would not apply in the case of proper nouns (names) or their diminutives, unless this proper noun (name) denoted a place, e.g. Jennifer Stoudgreenski <br><br>Given the history of European Jewry's major population centres and the natural tendencies of cohabiting languages to reflect each other in the vernacular the popular confusion of Yiddish affectionate diminutive endings with similar ones in Slavic and Germanic languages is easy to understand.<br>
  • haha Siolae. That was funny.<br><br>The Germans, by the way, have more er or dt endings. <i>Meyer</i>,<em><i> </i></em><span class="st"><em>Müller, Schmidt.</em></span><i><span class="st"><em> <br><br><br></em></span></i>
  • @Arkady, this is exactly the question - why people believe that -sky is East Slavic (R), while it is <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Prime_Ministers_of_Poland">brightly</a> western (P)?
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">@Gardener - Jewish version sounds great, lots of s-called "Russians" are actually Jews, Trotksy (Bronshtein) is a perfect example.</font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">However, it still does not explain the "Russian -ski" phenomenon. Did German/Polish/Western Russian Jews tend to call themselves Russians during mass migration to UK and US in the end of 19th and beginning of 20th century? I doubt so. They were recognised as "</font><span style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_Act_1905">tens of thousands of Jews</a></span><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">", not Russians.</font></div>
  • edited February 2012
    @Janez - Unfortunate phrasing there 'lots of so-called "Russians" are actually Jews'.  I'd have thought that Trotsky thought of himself as Russian and Jewish rather than either or. 
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">@Chekski: Nijinski, who you names twice, is actually Polish. The rest is cherry-picking on the natural interference of names for neighboring nations. To see the not cherry-picked lists, open the list of rulers I gave above. Are you sure that virtually all Polish prime ministers had Russian fathers and the opposite for Russians rulers? </font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Beginning of talks about personality of the opponents still manifests the failure in discussion. I am pleased you are hoisting the white flag again. :)<br></font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div></div>
  • <p>Wikipedia knows nothing of this 'ski' phenomenon in Russia and assigns 'ski' to the Southern Slavic areas.</p><p><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_name#Russia">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_name#Russia</a></p><p>And yes it's usual to be, for example, English Jewish rather than either/or. </p>
  • @Mirandola, agreed, change of the name from German-sounding Jewish to a Slavic-resembling Jewish could have been a good indicator of that.
  • Annie, you are just confusing the things further. :) Southern Slavic folks are cut out form the West (Pol) and East (Rus) Slavic border in question by non-Slavic Romania, Hungary and Austria:<div><br><div style="font-style: normal; "><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Slavic_languages">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Slavic_languages</a>; </div><div style="font-style: normal; "><br></div><div>If <i>they </i>are the true -skis, what do they have to do with Russians?</div></div>