Moving to Stroud Green - recommendations please!

124»

Comments

• <P style="LINE-HEIGHT: 20.4pt; MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman">janez...stop this crazy thing!</FONT></SPAN></P> <P style="LINE-HEIGHT: 20.4pt; MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman"></FONT></SPAN> </P> <P style="LINE-HEIGHT: 20.4pt; MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman">Language, culture, ethnicity, nationality and religion are all separate entities. If you feel you have a right to label people according to your own standards then you do so at your own peril.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></FONT></SPAN></P> <P style="LINE-HEIGHT: 20.4pt; MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman"></FONT></SPAN> </P> <P style="LINE-HEIGHT: 20.4pt; MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman">What your statements fail to acknowledge is that Mr Akintola is ENGLISH and Mr Stravinsky and Mr Koussevitsky are RUSSIAN, despite the language they speak or what you consider to be the nationality or ethnicity of their surnames.<o:p></o:p></FONT></SPAN></P> <P style="LINE-HEIGHT: 20.4pt; MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman"></FONT></SPAN> </P> <P style="LINE-HEIGHT: 20.4pt; MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman"> . . and by the way is being Polish so bad? You treat it as some sort of crime considering you feel you are being accused of it. You also seem to be very sensitive about being labelled American as well, though judging by your written language it was not an unreasonable question, or accusation I suppose in your case. <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN></FONT><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
  • Can we stop poking this individual please?  Regardless of what they have to say they are clearly rude, unreflective, spoiling for a fight, and unwilling to engage in civilised discourse.  Frankly it's boring.<br><br>The other trolls - and we surely know who they are by now - might go away if we ignore them too.  Please?<br>
  • <P>Arkady - calling for people to ignore other people is bullying.We don't like bullying on sg.org.</P> <P>janez is entitled to her opinion as long as what she writes isn't illegal.She said she learned English when she was 30 years old so perhaps she deserves some tolerance about the way she expresses herself and less hostility...</P> <P>just sayin...</P> <P>carry on</P>
  • Here's another case in point.<br>
  • The problem is that a few on here see themselves as some self-elected elite who know how Stroud Green should be.  No PVC windows, preservation orders, snobby cafes and and bars and when others complain about noise from shitty bars they go nuts and call us uptight.  I decided not to come on here that much because it's full of 'know it all' elites who waged a bully boy/girl over a year because I got uptight about a crap bar who caused severe noise problems for the local community who have lived here for a long time.  I had to put up with name calling...and lots more.  You should be ashamed.  You're not as great as you think you are!
  • Varying amounts of bullshit on here as expected on a forum. In my eyes, it makes a pleasant change from the dross. I like a good argument and a wind-up and there are several people i know will never agree to my way of thinking on some issues, but i'll still enjoy some pointless banter with them. I thought that was the idea of a forum to be honest. Take stuff seriously on here at your peril! In other news, its my stag do tomorrow, and im pleased to say that i am not getting on a flight to eastern europe, spain or newcastle. Im starting and finishing in Stroud Green, with a pitstop in Barnet and the west end. The traditional stag do on your doorstep is the new Latvia. full turnout and no moans about money or taking time off....you heard it here first.
  • Hi Kreuzkav. Haven't seen you for a while, welcome back. I wrote my post before i saw yours. I always liked your comments (even if i didn't agree with them), and while im guilty of going on the wind-up with you a few times, i think the forum has been a lesser place without you. Come back and give us some stick please.
  • Seconded. Healthy disagreements are, well, healthy.
  • edited February 2012
    <p>@ Brodiej.  Thanks.  I'm happy to be out of here but was also happy to see others post comments about Sugar Lounge on here. Complete shits in my view and I tried to be nice about them.  They showed the long term locals no respect a few summers ago and only backed down in their terror of noise after we got police and officials involved.  They pretended to be nice people but were superifical in that respect, but lots of people on here swallowed their crap.</p><p> </p><p>Why did I get annoyed on here?  Because so many people feel they run this place when they're just individuals in the community (like I am).  They have an inflated sense of themselves e.g. Stroud Green Badge. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think it was ironic.  Anyway, I hate all this hiding behind irony.</p><p> </p><p>I've been through so much shit over the last month  (I'm not going to say).  but I think I found myself again.  </p>
  • The problem is not a self-selected elite, Kreuzkav. It’s a self-selected underclass, namely you, fantasising that there is an elite to justify their inferiority complex.
  • <P>Arkady writes "here's another case in point".Are you describing yourself Arkady?</P> <P>Arkady writes "kreuzkav,a self selected underclass"</P> <P>Sorry Arkady but I don't think Kreuzkav is a "self selected underclass" as you rudely call him.</P> <P>Isn't Kreuzkav entitled to his opinion?</P> <P>Sorry Arkady but you come across as having a superiority complex sometimes.Like with these comments.</P> <P>Just a bit of criticism which I think is justified.And I do enjoy reading some things that Arkady and others write,but not always.  </P> <P>To go back to topic of this thread: Roads like Ridge Road and Mayfield rd in Hornsey Vale/Stroud Green boarders are leafy and gentile streets a short walk from from Haringey overground train station.The train goes quickly to the centre of town.And in Hornsey Vale you are a short walk from Crouch End.Thus avoiding Finsbury Park crowds. Ridge Rd is border of Stroud Green and Hornsey vale.You have shops on Weston Park nearby.A school in Mayfield Rd and Hornsey Vale Community Centre and Stationers Park.Denton Rd too.</P> <P> </P> <P> </P> <P> </P> <P> </P> <P> </P>
  • brodiej - having a local stag do is much better than asking friends to pay out lots of money for somewhere in Europe.It's more polite to not ask people to spend lots of money and to go away which they might not want to do.good luck and be lucky... 
  • Move to Stroud Green - it's full of people arguing about pointless things! Yay!<br>
  • <p>@BrodieJ<;/p><p>Congratulations on the impending wedding! Good to hear that someone has some sense about stag/hen nights. I can't afford to go to my best pal's hen festivities as she's elected for a long weekend away in foreign climes - budget £400 before food, drink etc and then we have to shell out for travel and stayover at wedding venue, (Selfridges) wedding gift, outfit to wear, bonnet etc. Dashed expensive for guests this nuptials lark.</p>
  • <a rel="nofollow" href="../../profile/BrodieJ">@BrodieJ<;/a> yes, congratulations on the wedding and well done on the stag. Of course the really new stag decision would be local <i>and </i>the night before the wedding. Hope it all goes well. <br><br>I'd missed all the impending nuptials in only ever skimming one of the least edifying SG.org threads. <br><br>Is it too late for another plug for Regina Road? Or is this thread in no shape for subject based comments? <br>
  • edited February 2012
    Arkady, I don't get your hatred of me, but I can deal with it.  You have called me very hurtful names and I've never done the same.  You seemed to have become angry because I've questioned your circle jerk club.  Before you ever set foot in Stroud Green it was a working class area, and i'd prefer Dixie here than some poncy cafe. I'm vegetarian and rarely eat out and won't go to Dixie or Seasons but I don't think middle class people like you have added anything to life here, quite the opposite.  I have no inferiority complex but have felt down over the last year because my dad is dying, I lost my job and lots of other shit has happened.  Not everyone has an easy life and can go Seasons with their rich family.  You're not so intelligent and your theory of a 'one world tax system' was the greatest shit ever.  Please explain how it works.  I don't think you can.  The world is changing and is more rhizomatic than stratified. 
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2" style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; font-size: 10pt; ">@Mirandola: if the individuals-with-mysteriously-unindentifiable-cultural-identity (which is surprisingly easy identifiable when they are referred to as "friendly") had not been sticky, the place would not have been closed for women harassment, would it? So, if the police is not prevented</font> <span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 13px; ">from action</span> <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2" style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; font-size: 10pt; ">by the shadow of racist discourse, why observers (especially parents of teenage girls) should be barred from observations? </font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; font-size: 10pt; "><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><span style="text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><font face="'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif" size="2"><span style="line-height: 20px;">"why do you think" - because the broken record relentlessly pedals one set of first line associations, which is not typical for [at least first generation] migrants, who tend to be exposed to different discourses. There may be a whole bunch of individual circumstances, overruling this general tendency. None of which, though, makes</span></font></span><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 20px; text-align: left; "> "naive-</span><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 20px; text-align: left; ">try-googling" </span><span style="line-height: 20px; font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: small; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-align: left; ">patronising attempts a valid </span><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-align: left; "><font face="'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif" size="2"><span style="line-height: 20px;">rhetorical instrument.</span></font></span></div>
  • Brodiej, congratulations! New Latvia sounds great. :)
  • edited February 2012
    Idory, I thought the pointless things are exactly the heart or any internet discussion. 
  • <P>@BrodieJ, have a great night...any particular bars we should give a wide berth to this evening?!</P> <P>Digression - I went to Latvia a few years ago and loved it (less so Riga, Vilnius is my fave Baltic capital). We spent a few days in Liepaja, a coastal town, which was huge fun - almost the best bit was when any local first set eyes on me. It's not the most racially (for which read colour-based) diverse place I've ever been, and I could swear their first thought was "Should we take her to our leader?"!! A bit like Hereford, really...</P>
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">ChrisN4, just for the sake of discussing pointless things: there are some circumstances where "no excuses" approach (where bullshit is absolute, not relative, and persona of the speaker is not counted) gives more productive results. Making all users anonymous gave better outcomes in IT teams solving ad-hoc problems. Of course, this is not applicable to online communities, since their purpose of existence is not solving problems, but discussing pointless things.</font>
  • <p>Lenin, Stalin, Pushkin, Rasputin, Arshavin, Chaliapin, Putin ??  </p><p>more variations available!</p><p>My "in" surnamed family was from Russia bordering Poland and Lithuania (now part of Belarus)</p>
  • What's your point, Wisteria?
  • kreuzkav - my advice is dont write anymore comments on this forum.Because you need to look after your health and stay calm.You don't need people winding you up in your difficult circumstances that you have described.If the bar across the road annoys you with noise then go to citizens advice bureau or go to meet your haringey council councillor at their local surgery where you can meet them and tell you about noise nuisance.Or phone noise team of islington council.Don't bother replying to this.Just decide to never write anything on this forum again and move on it aint worth it  
  • @Chrisn4. Stag do was good thanks. Peter Andre did the catering at Hamlet at lunch time, and then we all piled over the road to test out the Corner Flag (which has new management). Its a fairly standard pub thats had a facelift, but has just histroically suffered from having a clientele that puts off new customers including me. I thought 12 lads would be ok in there for a quick scoop! She's pragmatic about the future and wants to make a go of things. If you want a beer in a nice airy, light, clean pub at a good price (£2.50 lagers)...give it a go. Plus, they've got Shakin Stevens on the Jukebox. Then it was off to Barnet vs Shrewsbury Town where i got a special half-time message, and 90 mins of terrible football (as expected, and desired), and then onto the Comedy store in town via many pubs. Checked into black sea kebabs and the Stapleton on the way home. Jobs a goodun. No strippers, no ridiculous shots, no costumes...i survived. Icing on the cake was the news that Luciano Bechio had scored a 99th minute winner for Leeds United vs Doncaster having been 0-2 down. Get in Leeds!
  • This cheers us all up. Sounds like a good night. Have a good time at your wedding. Interested also that Peter Andre has got a local job after the shit with Jordan! Chang
  • A Clearaway van has just turned up. Result! Chang