10-Second Stroud Green Survey!

edited February 2012 in Local discussion
<p>The Survey: <a href="http://arkady.teunc.org/blog/">http://arkady.teunc.org/blog/</a></p><p>The Results (updated periodically): http://batchgeo.com/map/stroudgreensurvey</p><p>Hello everyone.  Some of you will have noticed my quest to see whether the new Localism Act could empower us to improve Stroud Green in various ways. I'm increasingly thinking that the answer is yes.</p><p>I hope to publish a detailed discussion document in a week or two (and a brief summary!).  This will be sent to key stakeholders in the area, many of whom have already been consulted.</p><p>In the meantime, I'm trying to get a better idea of what the boundaries of Stroud Green might be.  I don't think that they can be defined by arguments about history or physical geography alone - it's really important to know the opinions of people who live in the area.  It will be particularly interesting to see which Islington streets have a strong 'Stroud Green' presence.</p><p>Various civic groups and residents associations have been consulted.  In addition, I've set up this simple survey to help to work out who regards their street as being in Stroud Green.</p><p>Submissions are <strong>completely anonymous </strong>and cannot be linked to your StroudGreen.org membership.  I'm not asking for your house number, so I won't know where you live!</p><p>The survey is not formally associated with StroudGreen.org.</p><p>Please take a few seconds to complete the survey.  I will be regularly uploading the results to a custom Google Map.  If nothing else it will look interesting!</p><p>Much obliged,</p><p>Arky</p><p>The Survey: <a href="http://arkady.teunc.org/blog/">http://arkady.teunc.org/blog/</a> </p>;

Comments

• Loads of submissions already, from all over the area.  Several quite a bit further west than I expected.<br>Look forward to providing the first map update, hopefully tomorrow!<br>A<br><br>
  • Arkady, I wondered when I did the survey why we can't have more than 1 definition? I think I live in Stroud Green AND Finsbury Park, and it's Finsbury Park that I use in my address to minimise postal misdirection and to explain the general area I'm in (because people can look at a map and see the park and the Tube).
  • Indeed.  Nothing to stop you saying yes and also ticking Finsbury Park though.<br>
  • Also, it's an either/or thing, as there has to be a fixed non-overlapping boundary for the Neighbourhood Forum to have an electorate.<br>
  • Good idea, Arkady, done the survey,<br><br>I will probably nowadays be included in the west bit, which some may not consider Stroud Green, as now live on Hanley Road. <br><br>However, my argument has always been that Stroud Green's boundaries and considered location have been fluid over time, so in my mind it makes sense to centre it on Stroud Green Road, and include a decent stretch both sides - where people all use a certain area they call Stroud Green as their neighbourhood.<br><br>After all it started as a hamlet centred by the Stapleton crossroads, before <a href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/2252/old-stroud-green/p1">the map linked here</a>, and long before more modern maps and a council ward shifted the words to the north east.<br><br>And that, your honour, is my impassioned plea for the west.<br><br><br><br><br>
  • Well Papa L, the results so far bear you out. There is fairly wide distribution over the area I expected. But so far (and I’m yet to compile them on the map so this is just from memory) out of the 35+ submissions there are two clusters, one centred in the streets around Lorne/Albert and one centred on Wray Crescent, including Thorpedale, Birnam, Moray and Corbyn (though one Corbyn submission wasn’t sure whether they were in SG or FP). Lots in and around Mount View and Woodstock too.<br><br>So far nothing north of Hanley or west of Crouch Hill (except one in Trinder Rd, but I’m told that’s in Camden).<br><br>Because of the way post-codes work in unpopulated areas, we seem to have grounds to claim the Finsbury Park duck pond.<br>
  • Where are all the Blythwood Rd people?<br>
  • <P>It's probably quite a good demographic indication of the user base of Stroud Green Org.    </P> <P>Interesting that there is a historic split between Lower Stroud Green - the rough and ready neighbourhood around SG Road - and the much posher Upper Stroud Green around the east end of Mount view Road, Elyne Road, Stroud Green Library, which associates strongly with Stroud Green Residents Association.</P> <P>SG Residents Association may be attempting a territorial aggrandisement, lebensraum or a putsch.  They stuck a leaflet through my door this week.</P>
  • I know the man who would have put it through your door, Krappy. I believe there is some effort being made to ensure that the SGRA, which is constitutionally obliged to cover all of Stroud Green ward, engages outside of its traditional stomping ground.<br><br>That said, I’m in the traditional stomping ground and I haven’t received the newsletter. Indeed I’m supposed to be helping to distribute it but haven’t had any copies yet – perhaps I’ll be given some at Monday’s CAAC meeting.<br>
  • edited February 2012
    58 submissions so far.<br><br>Someone on either Oakfield or Beatrice put themselves as N1 instead of N4.  Alternatively, someone thinks that Dalston is in Stroud Green.<br><br>SG.org has a reader on Turnpike Lane.<br><br>Various submissions from people on the western Hanley Rd area.  Mostly Stroud Green, but a bit of an FP/Upper Holloway tussle too.  <br><br>Someone on Prah Rd put in a tentative Stroud Green claim - good on you.<br><br>One or two Stroud Green rejectionists on Regina, whish surprised me.<br>
  • Lorne road is the spiritual centre of SG- no contest . The librAry lot are really in Harringey.
  • I have counted Moray Road as Stroud Green AND Finsbury Park. How about you, Miss Annie?
  • Nearly 80 submissions!<br><br>Two from SGR today, between Upper Tollington and Stapleton Hall Rd.  Apparently that area is definitely Finsbury Park, not Stroud Green!  Curious. If that's not Stroud Green, where is?<br><br>Sorry about the map delay.<br>
  • If you look at Google Maps, Stroud Green is officially at the junction of Ferme Park Road & Stapleton Hall Road. Or at least, it used to be - right now it seems to be at the end of Cecile Park, just before Gladwell Road. Huh.
  • Stroud Green Road leads to Stroud Green, just like Finchley Road leads to Finchley. <br>
  • @ harpistic - Yeah Google Maps moved Stroud Green to Crouch End recently.<br><br>@ADGS - I used to make that case too.  But John Hinshelwood's recent history suggests that the name Stroud Green was first applied to the wide area through which 'Stroud Green Lane' ran.  Further, he is sceptical of the early maps that show SGT as historically being centred on the 'Fiveways' junction, arguing that they are only indicative and that settlement was more widespread throughout the area.<br>
  • ADGS: Stroud Green Road leads to Stroud Green, just like Finchley Road leads to Finchley. Not neccesarily ... could be THE road in Stroud Green
  • I picked up John Hinshelwood's Stroud Green – a History and Five Walks the other day on my first ever visit to the little Hornsey Historical Society shop and read it with interest.<br><br>As Arkady mentions he does suggest that Stroud Green originally covered the full stretch of what was Stroud Green Lane (now road) and with farms and land stretching east / west too. <br><br>I like his findings that even a couple of hundred years ago Stroud Green was a pretty ill-defined area.<br><br>It's a fascinating book and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in Stroud Green, as half of it is actually the most comprehensive history of the area I've read - and then the other half is the walks. It's got some great pictures in too.<br><br><br><br>
  • N4 is a state of mind.<br>
  • No, n4 is a clearly defined geographic area. Stroud Green on the other hand, is a state of mind. 
  • It's two states of mind. Upper and lower (SG) ;)<br>
  • I checked the Google map, even by a state-of-mind definition, it definitely appears to have <a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=stroud+green&hl=en&ll=51.573896,-0.111752&spn=0.025792,0.066047&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hq=stroud+green&t=m&z=15">moved Stroud Green to Crouch End</a>. That should continue to confuse outsiders to the concept of Stroud Green nicely.<br><br><br>
  • Joe: I'm aware there are plenty of Roads within their named district (Holloway being one nearby example), I've just never felt that way about SGR. Certainly it might once have been part of Stroud Green - but districts ebb and flow, and since Finsbury Park became an area, rather than just a park (presumably when the station opened?), I think it's claimed SGR as its own. <br>
  • All of it?  If not, where would you draw the border?<br>
  • <P>On a similar subject, can anyone find the threads with the old maps of Stroud Green in?</P> <P>I was shown some amazing pictures of Stroud Green railway station last night. Must get them scanned in to show you...</P>
  • I'm sure I'm in Stroud Green, but I've always regarded Stroud Green as a subdistrict of the larger Finsbury Park area.  I didn't tick Finsbury Park as well, as the question was worded so as to discourage that ("If not, please state...")<br><br>roy<br>
  • Local government boundaries apart, one of the things that sets 'Stroud Green' apart from 'Finsbury Park' as a place is that massive set of railway bridges at the bottom of SGR, and the fact that through-buses don't go under them.  It's a very effective psychological boundary.
  • Don't think any buses go under the bridges on SGR do they? Buses into Town go from after the bridges- buses into SG are before the bridges. There's no bus that goes through to Town from SG.
  • Yup, because the bridge is too low. But why can't we have some single-decker buses?! Would be nice if we had buses which went beyond Finsbury Park!<br>