Is this Stroud Green's most expensive ever house? £2.5m

edited March 2012 in About this site
That's the asking price of course, whether they'll get it is another matter.<br><br>Looks very swanky and big inside and a bit of history about it too.<br><br>Not my favoured bit of Stapleton Hall Road though - I prefer the bit above the Ferme Park Road junction. I imagine some of the massive houses opposite St Aidans, if still intact as one, would give it a run for its money.<br><br><a href="http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36930356.html">http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36930356.html</a><br>;

Comments

• wow! Inside is incredible.<br>I wonder how often they get broken into....<br>
  • It is a lovely house but d'you know, even if I had the money I don't think I'd buy in that road. I'd want something on the road where I live or higher up the hill.
  • Wow! I'd kill to have a kitchen and bathroom like that.<br>
  • @Papa L:  Some of the houses you refer to are truly glorious; massive inside.  One of the advantages of being on the CAAC is you get to peruse the plans...<br>
  • So you can plan your night-time raids?<br>
  • Do any of them have walk in shoe cupboards?
  • A house that size probably has a branch of Nine West in the basement, never mind a walk-in shoe cupboard! I'd have a library, a sewing room, a music room - even the cats could have their own suite!
  • I don't like the floors, though. I'm a carpet fan, especially in bedrooms. 
  • edited March 2012
    Agree with miss annie, lovely house. Shitey road for the money.  At least it's nice to see it wasn't a cut and shut job conversion to 'luxury flats'.    
  • I'd have a gym, a little cinema, a sewing and crafts room, a sauna, massaging bath and probably a fridge to chill wine and beer in that massive bathroom, a separate doggie bathroom, and I'd need to add a roof terrace on somewhere.
  • Ace that we'd have one house in the area liable for a mansion tax!
  • But on that bit of road ... . the traffic noise ... and top-deck W3 bus passengers peering in in ... i reckon 2.5 million would get sometimg pretty decent in a less skanky location in N4 ... but hey ... gentrification ... bring it on!
  • I used to deliver their newspaper every morning in the 60's, it was always a nice house. Family was nice too, always friendly and gave me a decent tip at Christmas....unlike the skanks at the conservative club (Stapleton Hall), who gave nothing!
  • @Arkady I love those houses on the upper part of Stapleton Hall Road - running from the Ferme Park Road junction on - would love to have a peek inside.<br><br>If money was no object, I'd go for one of the big houses on Mount View Road overlooking the reservoir or something huge and elegant with a big garden in the Granville Road, Ridge Road,  upper Stapleton Hall Road square.<br><br>That would be my problem with the £2.5m job above, the garden isn't big enough.<br><br>Also, if they manage to squeeze in a mansion tax - which would be a colossally regressive and geographically unfair move - I reckon they'd go lower than £2m - anyone over £1m would be hit in some way.<br>
  • What is this mansion tax? I need to know about that sort of thing for when I win the Euromillions.<br>
  • The colour scheme reminds me of a hospital.<br><br>What does one do with three reception rooms?<br><br>I do like the bathroom. It's bigger than my entire flat.<br>
  • Yes nice crib but no carpets plus the busses always look in to the bathroom and that road is worse than Rock st for noise and Lorne Road for smells and does get a lot if heavy traffic. So very expensive for that location. In Highgate or somewhere peachy-peachy like Thorpdale or Marquis maybe. Used to be a school it days. Anyone know when or who went there? Chang
  • edited March 2012
    for details of the school see History of Stroud Green on Wikipedia ... sorty, but cannot be a*s*d to find the link ...
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">It was 2.35m a week or two ago, and that seemed way over the top. Quite why they think it's worth even that much I don't know - it's a bizarre layout, ugly boxy shape, </font><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; font-size: 10pt; ">no en-suite bathrooms, a tiny garden and no off-street parking. It's not the prettiest of locations for someone spending that sort of money, and there isn't even a tube station close by to compensate. For some reason it's being advertised by some as 6 bed but others as 5 - maybe some are counting the loft?</span><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><span style="font-size: 10pt; "><br></span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><span style="font-size: 10pt; ">I think I remember seeing it up for sale 18 months or so ago as a 10-bed, I think it had been used as some sort of student lodgings, there was a big industrial-type kitchen downstairs. When the work started I assumed it was being chopped up into flats.</span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><span style="font-size: 10pt; "><br></span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><span style="font-size: 10pt; ">2.5m though seems nuts. I'd take one of these even if they were the same price:</span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><span style="font-size: 10pt; "><br></span></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-21917817.html</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-33434767.html</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-25765529.html</font></div>;
  • Is it just me or do the floors look like laminate.  Why would you put down laminate in a house you are asking for that amount of money for?  I agree -  I would spend my 2.5 million elsewhere.
  • edited March 2012
    <p> </p>
  • <p>I actually hate en-suite bathrooms, I'd never live in a house that had one again.Pooing in a corner of your bedroom is weird!</p><p>That first house used to belong to a notorious Madam and the Weston Park one has the most hideous selection of Ikea furniture. </p>
  • Likewise, @miss annie, I just don't get the obsession with en-suites that has sprung up in the home improvement business! I see a lot of them when I'm working, and since they are small, rarely have windows, and home-use extractors aren't all that powerful, they get mildewy really fast. Ugh! 
  • Was looking at it online again the other day and it does look suspiciously staged in terms of furnishings and there's only pictures of two bedrooms.<br><br>Looks like someone's done the refurbishment, and moved in while trying to sell it on.<br><br>I like that third linked house of Simon G's but the details are shocking in terms of the photos being incredibly fuzzy. If you were selling a £1.5m house and the estate agents can't even take the pictures properly you should sack them straight away.<br>
  • maybe they dropped the camera down the loo in the en-suite? 
  • @ Papa L<br>I've been in a few of those houses on Upper SHR, a friend lived in one and others on house viewings which had been broken up into flats.  The one the friend lived in had remained a family home and was gorgeous.  Incredibly spacious inside.  I wanted!<br><br>And this property is definitely staged in terms of furnishings.  I highly doubt anyone lives there.<br><br><br>
  • I love the idea of that! Unfortunately I have neither a refurb budget or £900k.<br>
  • I've long wondered about that place.  It's been boarded up for years, but has an amazing garden, high-up overlooking the parkland walk.  It has it's own well.<br>
  • High up, good view, own water. I need this house before the forthcoming zombie apocolypse happens!<br>