The Jubilee - Bah Humbug!

edited March 2012 in About this site
<p>This thread is for those who don't want to celebrate the Jubilee. Fire away!</p>

Comments

• <P>@miss annie, are you OK? Have you suddenly turned anti-monarchy? *shocked look on face*</P>
  • No! Just hoping, probably in vain, that people will let those who want to celebrate on the other thread just get on with it and direct anti-celebrations over here.
  • It's all yours, celebrate away. I'm saying nothing.<br>
  • edited March 2012
    <font face="Arial, Verdana">Bah! Just looking into a lovely republican street party for MPC on labour day and came across this on the Haringey website:</font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: normal; "><span style="color: rgb(35, 31, 32); font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 19px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">There is a fee of £80 for the application. The Council will provide event notices for residents to display in the street. </span><span style="color: rgb(35, 31, 32); font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 19px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">For applications to close the road on the </span><strong style="border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; border-image: initial; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; font-weight: bold; color: rgb(35, 31, 32); font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 19px; text-align: left; ">Diamond Jubilee Weekend</strong><span style="color: rgb(35, 31, 32); font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 19px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "> (2 to 5 June 2012) the charge will be waived.</span></div><div style="text-align: left; "><font color="#231f20" face="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"><span style="line-height: 19px;"><br></span></font></div>
  • Outrageous! I feel a strongly-worded letter coming on. Although Haringey only states it is waiving the charge on the "Jubilee weekend". Does it have to be a Jubilee party? 
  • <a href="http://www.republic.org.uk/updates/?page_id=297">http://www.republic.org.uk/updates/?page_id=297</a><br><br>I'm very much looking forward to this ^<br><br>It'd be nice to have one of the pubs around here do an anti-jubilee evening at some point that weekend, but it seems very unlikely. Shame.
  • <p>jim you are so saggy</p><p> </p><p>chang</p>
  • edited April 2012
    Last year whilst Katie and Will's wedding was on,  I went to visit friends in a Republic.  I booked a flight and holidays from work months in advance.  Throughout the days I was away the only thing I saw about the royal wedding was a newspaper headline.  Pure bliss!  
  • Don't know which republic that was, but neither the French nor the American republic seemed able to get enough of the coverage.<br>
  • @ADGS.  I was in Germany.  I think it was a celeb fest in most countries but easier to avoid outside of the UK, especially as I was out and about a lot.