Looking to start an organic fruit & veg delivery service for n4.

JimJim
edited April 2012 in About this site
This will be a delivery service of a mix box of organic fruit & veg. Each box will delivered to your home for approx £20 Please call on 07913518856 to sign up

Comments

• What would be in each box (roughly), so we can get an idea of quantity for the money. Will there be regulars in each box supplemented by seasonal produce? Where will the produce come from?<br><br>Details, please!<br>
  • We used to get Riverford boxes. At one point we switched to Abel & Cole because they let you pick and choose what's in the box. Also, they send you free gifts like olive oil and cookbooks. <br><br>Both companies offer a decent selection of seasonal veg, delivered on time week after week. No complaints, really. The only reason we've stopped ordering is that we were always throwing away veg at the end of the week. We just don't cook often enough. <br><br>How is your service better, Jim? A&C, helpfully, have a website that tells you exactly what you're going to get each week. Also, where the food comes from. You have a mobile number.<br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Give him a chance . Chang
  • When I lived in Philadelphia I was a member of a food coop that took orders one week and delivered the next, having collated the requirements and taken them down to the market. It included cheese and milk and some dry goods, rice pasta lentils and cans of tomatoes etc. Might be interested in that sort of thing here. Anybody else?
  • Hi good to see there is interest in this idea.<div><br></div><div>All products will be Organic and supplied by Landridge Organics, who are supplied by Organic growers.</div><div><br></div><div>The Box will contain a mix of Fruit and Veg, some products will vary due to seasons.</div><div><br></div><div>An example box will contain</div><div><br></div><div>2-3 Kg of Potatoes</div><div>2-3 Mixed Pepper</div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt; ">4 Parsnips</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt; ">1 Suede</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt; ">1 courgette</span></div><div>3 onions</div><div>1 Red onion.</div><div>400g of Brocoli</div><div>800g of  new potatoes<span class="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre"> </span></div><div>800g Carrots</div><div>1 clove of garlic</div><div>1 squash</div><div>half a bunch of corriander</div><div>half a bunch of parsley</div><div>4 apples.</div><div>2 lemons</div><div>2 Oranges</div><div>4 Bananas</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>This is an example box but <span style="font-size: 10pt; ">will be very similar</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt; ">I will put in extra veg and whenever possible.</span></div><div>I will vary it as much as possible but will have staples like potatoes, onions, apples etc...</div><div>I will include Kale, Sprouts, Broad beans and other vegtables to keep it fun and interesting.</div><div><br></div><div>I have worked out that at popular supermarkets in the area the box would cost around 30-40, and at other organic companies their boxes aren't as varied and plentiful.</div><div><br></div><div>So you eat healthily, make quite a saving and its all delivered to your door!</div><div><br></div><div>Please Call me if interested or send a text.</div><div><br></div><div>07913518856.</div><div><br></div><div>Thanks</div><div><br></div><div>Jim</div><div><br></div><div> </div>
  • Courgette is the plural. One courgette is called a Courge
  • A courgette is a baby courge, not 2 of them. Is courge the French for cucumber? No - but perhaps it should be.
  • <P>STOP PRESS.</P> <P>It seems courge means marrow! Obvious, really.</P>
  • Not to rain on your parade, but that amount of organic fruit and veg wouldn't cost anywhere near £30-40 at Tesco. I just did a quick estimate on mysupermarket.com. It came to just over £20. But for that you actually get a lot more food. There wasn't an option for 4 bananas or two lemons, etc., so I selected larger packs.<br><br>I'm not saying that your veggie box isn't good or that it's not worth the money, but it's a bit disingenuous to claim that it would cost more from the local supermarket.<br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • <P>This was an example box and I am not here to rip people off ! </P> <P>The box will be much more abundant than that, it is a new start up and once I have delivered a few orders, then I will be able to list a true box sample and then you can do a price comaprsion.</P> <P>I know that the box would come to around £30-40 which is what I had calculated once I had a certain amount of people signed up and therfore would have a greater buying power. </P> <P>I know that taste wise organic wins every time.</P> <P>Thanks</P> <P> </P> <P> </P>
  • Jim, go for it mate. They are a very miserable lot sometimes in these discussions. Chang
  • This is a great venture and good luck with it.<br><br>But not wishing to put a damper on it, as R-C puts it, what does the market research say about organic food?  I think I read somewhere that organic food passed its peak of popularity a couple of years ago and sales are now heading firmly downwards.  Recession, spending power and all that - and fashion.  Is this really a start-up business to be in?  I imagine most people who are into organic produce already have their supplier and it will be hard to get them to change.<br><br>I appreciate you might offer better value.   If you really can do all that for £20 then it actually does look like quite a good deal.  I get a fortnightly veg box from a company called Farmaround which costs £24 and this week I got: 1kg potatoes, 175g pak choi, 2 large courgettes, 370 g broccoli, 3 large sticks rhubarb, 580g sweet potato, 1 enormous 600g leek, 10 carrots (450g), 1 garlic, 4 bananas, 1 mango, 3 pears, 6 apples, two oranges.<br><br>Perhaps I'm paying way over the odds.  Nice and varied.   It's more than I can eat, anyway.  And I really look forward to the delivery man.<br><br><br><br><br>
  • I've always thought I'd love to get a veg delivery box, but isn't it always a daytime delivery thing? what happens if you're not in when they deliver? I really don't have anywhere where you could leave that sort of thing :-(<br>
  • A neighbour's or a friendly shop?  I am 100 per cent certain the guy we use would go out of his way to make that work.  He's not at all like DHL.<br>
  • If you've got a shared hallway then you can give Abel & Cole the key to the door and they leave it there. 
  • I have been using Riverford but have recently decided to switch to Growing Communities - there is a drop point at the Castle Climbing Centre, near me. However, if doesn't work out, I'd consider switching to you. I believe in supporting local business, especially for organic food production, which is obviously the way forwards. Please email me directly about a food hub idea I have for Finsbury Park - cls " at" jo.homan.me.uk<br>Cheers<br>
  • Delivering in the day time or in the evening is no problem. We can arrange by text/phone/email when is a convenient time.<div>I am sure in some cases a neighbour would look after the box.</div><div><br></div><div><br><div><div><br></div></div><div><br></div></div>
  • <SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: black; LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-ansi-language: EN; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">Well at £40 a box to turnover £100K you will need to deliver 48 boxes a week <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>-<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>soon adds up </SPAN>
  • JimJim
    edited April 2012
    This a small enterprise I have four people signed up so far, but need more people to make it viable. Turnover is not profit! And it is £20 a box! Please call on 07913518856 Thanks