Fantastic new restaurant in Crouch End

edited June 2012 in About this site
There's an amazing new restaurant in Crouch End, I went there today but I can't remember what it's called, it's opposite the Queen;s pub and it begins with an M. It's just opened and the food is fantastic. I asked  and it's a family run business and the head chef trained under Marco Pierre White, really delicious high quality food. English and mediterranean, I had roast duck breast, my father had asparagus soup. So stupid I can't remember the name but anyway keep an eye out for it.

Comments

• Macdonalds? Only joking. I will go tonight. Chang
  • Hello Donna,<div><br></div><div>It's called Melange! I hope it is the same restaurant. We have been twice, the food is amazing, we have had steak and chips twice and I had chicken and mushroom something and duck and creme brulee and it was out of this world and very reasonable! A great find! </div><div><br></div>
  • That's it, melange. Apparently the chef was the head chef of strada for over a decade and left to set up his own quality restaurant. Really reasonable prices especially for lunch.
  • edited June 2012
    this sounds good!  am trying to find a website but no luck.  Is booking required from your experience, also is it a restaurant or a bar with food?  I always mean to ven<strike>t</strike>ure over the hill more but so spoiled on SGR!
  • It doesn't have a website or phone number just turn up! He used to work at Strada, Cote and Marco P White's Mirabelle! <br><br><br>
  • Have been back twice since I wrote this and have really enjoyed all three meals. It's amazing value and you don't need to book at the moment. The staff are lovely. I recommend the full English. Big thumbs up. Good if you have kids too as there is a play area and a baby changing toilet plus loads of high chairs and room for buggies,
  • i'll add my vote to melange. <br>we went earlier this week and I enjoyed my mussels then steak n chips. can't remember what fish mrs crispy had but she enjoyed it!<br><br>
  • Melange is well named, my experience of the restaurant on Sunday afternoon was decidedly mixed.  The staff are charming but ill informed, the decor is pleasingly simple but draughty in the extreme and the meal itself was a real curate's egg of an experience.  'Carpaccio' when it arrived turned out to be bresaola, my question to the waitress on this point was met with the vaguest dissimulation along the lines that, she was sure the chef had not deliberately attempted to mislead us. No matter, the bresaoloa itself was quite tasty. The walnut, blue cheese and chicory salad was refreshing but bland.<div><br></div><div>For the mains we had duck breast with cherry sauce which was excellent, if a tiny bit overcooked, and an extremely good roast confit of chicken with roast potatoes and green beans, none which could be faulted. If only the rest of the meal had been up to the standard of the main courses.  The creme brulee was ok but quite unremarkable while the cheese board left much to be desired.  "A selection of the finest French and Italian cheeses" could not be named by the waitress in advance of their arrival and eventually in fact turned out to be a couple of slices of some stunningly dull rablochon substitute, a sliver of drying and insipid chevre accompanying an acrid slab of Danish Blue shamelessly masquerading as Roquefort.</div><div><br></div><div>The bill for two, including a bottle of the passable house red, came to just shy of £63.50 without service.</div><div><br></div><div>Overall, despite one or two good moments I shall not be rushing to repeat the experience. <br><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
  • edited July 2012
    My tuppenceworth<div><br></div><div>Pleasant enough meal here for two last night.  Service was very friendly but needs ironed out slightly, as twice we were brought someone else's dishes.  Not a big deal, and they brought us a couple of Kir Royales to apologise.</div><div><br></div><div>Goats Cheese Tartan was simple but very tasty.  Sea bream ratatouille lovely and chunky.</div><div>Rissotto had plenty of vegetables in it and was substantial.  </div><div><br></div><div>Desserts also enjoyable (creme caramel and the iced berries).  </div><div><br></div><div>Set menu was good value, three courses for iirc £13.95</div><div><br></div><div>Bottle of malbec seemed quite expensive so that put the bill up to £60 for two people.</div><div><br></div><div>Nice addition though nothing mind-blowing.  Found it quite cosy as we were off to the side so it was not draughty.  </div><div><br></div><div>There is a kiddies play area near the back so it may get overrun by them at weekends.   <span style="font-size: 10pt; ">Seems a bit of a mish-mash really, trying to be a reasonably sophisticated brasserie, with a play zone.  Restaurant would appeal to small groups and couples and to parents with </span><span style="font-size: 10pt; ">crying newborns at 8pm.</span></div>