Florida, Ohio, Wisconsin & Virginia

edited September 2012 in Sharing
Don't suppose anyone else is planning on staying up late on presidential election night? And if so, would you like company?

Comments

• I usually host something myself, you'd be welcome.  You'd have to join us in drinking ourselves poorly though.<br>
  • I am also up for that, was is Chicago during the last election, that was a good night.
  • Been saying this for a while, but this will be like Clinton-Dole in 96. Electoral College landslide, reasonably close popular vote.
  • <p>Thats the problem with the Electoral College system.</p>
  • Hmm. My bet is for a pretty solid Obama victory in both popular vote and electoral college. Oh, and I just came back from Chicago. It's awesome. 
  • It looks like I'll be in the US that night - California - as I was in 2008 when OB won which was truly memorable event - dinner at a friend's home everyone crying 'We got our country back' and I remember Eddie Izzard's brilliant soundbite on the TV news about departure lounges around the world reverbrating with the sound of American travellers ripping Canadian badges off their luggage shouting 'damn it I'm a yank and proud of it'. <br>I think OB will win but doubt the result will be declared as early as last time might drag a bit longer.<br>
  • Ooh, I've never stayed up for a US election - I invariably do for UK general elections.  What time do the results come in, and what channel do you watch for coverage?<br><br>roy<br>
  • BTW, I never understand how American political activists manage it.  Whereas we'd be talking about what's going on in Haringey, or in South Cambridgeshire, or whatever, the American activists end up talking about what's going on in electoral district Z-Z-9-Plural-Z-Alpha.  I don't know how they manage to deal with these arbitrary constituency designations.<br><br>roy<br>
  • <p>In 08 I was staying at a friends house in Grand Rapids MI. We drove to Chicago on election night and I have never seen a city celebrate like they did. My friends are Republican and were inconsolable. I felt like the world was starting anew, it might sound stupid, but it was as if a weight had been lifted from my shoulder. </p><p>From a British point of view I find it strange that we are apathetic at best to the general elections in this country. Look at the way the election matters to people in the USA, Now I dont know if that is a inditement of throwing vast amounts of money for political advertising or Americans are just more engaged in the political world.</p>
  • @Detritus: Speak for yourself - the election certainly matters to me in this country<br>
  • <p>It matters to me as well, but look at the voter turnout for the last general election, 65%.That was up from 05 but still we were in the worst economic crisis in years and 35% of the population didn't bother to vote. I call that apathy.</p><p> </p>
  • Turnout's lower in the US. 56 and something percent in 2008.
  • I agree but it's the way people interact about politics. I do think it has a lot to do with the amount of money that can be spent on the campaign in the USA
  • @Detritus - I think the Electoral College is interesting. The writers of the constitution recognised that each method of electing people was imperfect, so set up three different methods (Congress, Senate and President) in the hope the imperfections would balance each other out. They explicitly didn't want the President to have a national mandate (which they felt would lead to populism). The problem now is that the electoral college makes Presidential votes disproportionately influential in swings states like Ohio and Florida, and they've found themselves with the problem they tried to account for.<div><br></div><div>I'm not sure you have a more engaged public in the US - there's just more money being spent. It's a bit like saying coca-cola is popular because they spend a lot on ads. As Mirandola said, turnout in Presidential elections is typically 10% lower than UK general elections - it bounces around the 55% mark, compared to the 65%ish average in general elections. What is interesting is that power is more widely dispersed in the US: Senators and Governors are powerful jobs, and party allegiance is much weaker, so this makes politics more interesting. In the UK it's all about the PM and the cabinet - the Mayor and Scottish Assembly are the only jobs that really stand apart for the govt and are worth having.<br><div><br></div><div>But it's hard to argue that it's all about the money in the US, and with the super-PACs spending hundreds of millions, it's only going to alienate people from the process in the long term. </div><div><br></div></div>
  • edited September 2012
    <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">Slight correction Andy, what provides balance in the federal government is the three branches of government, Congress, President and the Judiciary, i.e. the Supreme Court.</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal> </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">The founding fathers established the Electoral College to elect the President as a compromise and again as a way to maintain the balance of power between big and small states. The system may not be perfect but the alternates debated at the time weren’t considered viable or fair either: a vote in Congress, a vote by state legislatures, or by popular vote.</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman"></FONT> </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">Only Congress is directly elected by the people. Judges on the Supreme Court are nominated by the President and confirmed by the Senate.</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal> </P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">One of the reasons for low turnout in the US is election fatigue. We have local, state and federal elections and the number of elected offices can be overwhelming. For instance in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">New York City</st1:place></st1:City>, where I’m from, the following offices are elected:</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman"><STRONG>Local</STRONG></FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">--City Mayor</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">--City Comptroller</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">--City Public Advocate</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">--City Council Representative</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">--Borough President</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">--Borough District Attorney</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">--Borough/county court judges</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">--Borough school board representatives</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman"><STRONG>State</STRONG></FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">--State Governor/Lt Governor</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">--State Comptroller</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">--State Attorney General</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">--State Senator</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">--State Assembly member</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">--State Court judges</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman"><STRONG>Federal</STRONG></FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">--<st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> Senator</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">--<st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> Representative in Congress</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">--President/Vice President</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman"> </FONT></o:p></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">Other localities have different offices that are elected (some almost double the number elected in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">New York City</st1:place></st1:City>). Everyone living in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">New York</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">State</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> votes for the State and Federal offices.</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><o:p><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman"> </FONT></o:p></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">Don’t get me started about money in politics, though to me the lack of accountability and disclosure of super-PAC donations is far more damaging than the actual amount spent.</FONT></P> <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoNormal><o:p><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman"> </FONT></o:p></P>
  • I've never actually been in the UK for the Presdential Election, what kind of time do results start coming through/does it get interest?<br>
  • @ JoeV – I think you and andy are both right. Certainly the framers of the constitution wanted a separation of executive, legislative and judicial power. But andy’s point stands too – the framers wanted to use different electoral methodologies to mix it up even further.<br><br>One way they did this was to select Congress itself by two different methods – direct election for the House of Representatives, and election by the state’s governments to the Senate. The Senate became directly elected following the 17th amendment, and that is often considered to have contributed to federal centralisation. Maybe the framer’s had it right to begin with.<br>
  • Strictly Joe is right. When they talk explicitly about the separation of powers, they talk about the three branches of government. <div><br></div><div>I was talking about the general principles of checks and balances and how that is reflected in the different types of election. Congressmen are elected on 2 year terms, the whole lot are re-elected at once and they represent areas of roughly equal size. Senators are elected on 6 year terms, a third each election, 2 per state, with little direct connection to the size of the electorate. This was deliberate. So in congress you get one populist, reactionary, locally focussed body balanced against (in theory) a more reflective, slower and nationally oriented one. And the Presidency combines features of both. Intellectually, it's a very elegant system. In practice, money renders the whole thing moot.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • edited November 2012
    ... So it's almost time, where and when?
  • My usual do is sadly off, as I have a conference to attend the following morning.<br>
  • The thought of Romney winning is too terrifying for me to contemplate watching. I shall be shivering under my duvet.<br>