Finsbury Park as a permanent concert venue??

edited November 2012 in Local discussion
Saw this in Ham & High Broadway: <a href="http://www.hamhighbroadway.co.uk/news/could_permanent_finsbury_park_concert_licence_cause_headache_for_neighbours_1_1678709">http://www.hamhighbroadway.co.uk/news/could_permanent_finsbury_park_concert_licence_cause_headache_for_neighbours_1_1678709</a><div><br></div><div>The obvious answer is yes, of course it'll be a headache for neighbours. There's a link to protest to the council within the article - I shall certainly avail myself of it!</div>

Comments

• What exactly is the Woodstock Road Residents' Association?<br><br>We've live on Woodstock Road for over a decade. This is the first I'm hearing of it. There was a parking militia group a few years back, but I think this is different. Are these people speaking on our behalf?<br>
  • Article here uses similar quotes (but is covered in typos)<div>http://www.hackneygazette.co.uk/news/crime-court/stone_roses_announce_finsbury_park_dates_1_1675091</div><div><br></div><div>But does at least gets the view of someone happy about the gigs.</div><div><br></div><div><div>I have clearly heard the PA and crowds from previous concerts (e.g. Rage Against The Machine) and although not to everyone's taste, shouldn't it be a source of civic pride that Haringey has the facilities to attract world renowned performers? </div><div><br></div><div>Any disruption caused by the thousands of gig goers will no doubt be whinged about by folk too blinkered by the thoughts of their own peace and quiet, but it's seems a price worth paying to allow people with different interests to attend events of this size in such a central location in a park we all pay for.   </div><div><br></div><div>I'm not interested in attending funfairs at Finsbury Park, but I'd be a bit of a sad grump if I wanted to deny kiddies a ride on the Waltzers every 4 months so I could look at a patch of pristine grass while listening to the birds chirrup.   Surely most people understand that at some point there may be an event they'd be interested in attending, and they'd like the council to try and find something for everyone.</div><div><br></div><div>  </div></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • @graeme, I guess one's perspective depends on how close one lives to the park and what one's personal circumstances are. I work mostly from home, often well into the night, and the only house on my road closer to the park is next door! So periodic events are fine - I loathe the Stone Roses but it's a coup for the area - but am less enthused by the possibility of the park being licensed as a permanent venue. I might reconsider to an extent if there was obvious benefit to the local area, but I suspect any funds the council raises from such events disappear into the same black hole as CPZ charges...
  • <span class="Apple-style-span">I don't know the details, but I've had the misfortune to apply for an entertainment licences, (not to Haringey) and sometimes it makes bureaucratic sense to apply for a year's licence,  rather than lots of one off ones.   </span>For instance some Councils limit you to something like six one off licences a year.   I<span class="Apple-style-span">t doesn't necessarily mean you want to have events every weekend, its just a way of negotiating Council's convoluted processes.   </span>
  • Great to hear that SG is finally getting a good entertainment site going. Stone Roses will get rid of the rats (!!) but the best thing would be to get the council to kill them now or it will be overrun by the time Iron Maiden play in June. Not a pretty sight!! Chang