the organisation for homeless and unemployed people

edited November 2012 in Sharing
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">I had a nice chap knock on our door claiming to be from this organization (based in Woodford Green) and brandishing his passport as a proof of ID. It seemed legit, but then I am perhaps a bit gullible/willing to listen to a hard luck story, and I purchased some terrible scourers from him for £3.99. All in a good cause, I believed. But, a quick review of the internet reveals that these people have been at it all over London and it is a scam. Hopefully, most of you are a bit more savvy with regards to these matters, but beware!</font>

Comments

• I saw this guy, or someone like him, a few months ago. He was walking door-to-door down Oxford Road trying to sell general household tat. I was walking home from a run in the park. He approached me trying to make a sale. I told him that he was wasting his time since I didn't have any money on me. He replied that with an ass like mine, I don't need money. It was so random and weird that I couldn't help but laugh in his face.<br>
  • edited November 2012
    There are legit organisations like this, but IIRC, they have to have and show council-approved ID to go door-to-door. According to husband, we had a narrow escape the other day - I was out, he was upstairs, and the doorbell didn't sound properly!
  • <P>This happened to me last summer. The guy selling stuff looked hard up and was selling cleaning stuff and household goods. I don't remember being savvy enough to check his ID properly but he did have a card around his neck. I didn't really want to buy anything but felt a little intimidated as he knew where I lived and there were some guys in a van behind him and I was on my own so I fobbed him off with a couple of pounds. Apparantly that was not enough to buy anything off him, but enough for him to take his leave!</P>
  • Rainbow - you should have that line about your bum put on a t-shirt!!random, true, but flattering. Chang
  • @ChangN4N6 - I think the word you're looking for is 'creepy'. <br>
  • You mean you're not flattered by being harassed by strange men in the street? How odd.