phone/internet provider

edited January 2013 in Sharing
hi. sorry to be boring but what land line provider do people use in SG? Also what internet provider? What seems to work best in SG, its clear that most people have issues with Virgin. Any help would be appreciated as Im trying to find out if I should pay the BT connection fee or find an alternative....thanks.

Comments

• edited January 2013
    I use BT for the land line, but I've used Zen Internet as my ISP (www.zen.co.uk) for about 5 years and their service is excellent. In all that time I've had 2 issues. One was a hardware failure at the exchange, the other was BT doing something really arcane deep down in their network config. <div><br></div><div>So you could say Zen have been faultless. They were excellent at diagnosing the problems too. When it comes to customer support you're normally dealing with a bloke in Rochdale who knows exactly what he's on about, not a call centre drone. Not the cheapest, but I don't care, I feel I get good value.</div>
  • Whatever you choose, please avoid TalkTalk.  So many people I know have had bad service from them.<br><br>For what it's worth, have a look at the <a href="http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/home-phone-calls">Money Saving Expert Telecoms</a> pages.<br><br>I'm with Primus which is cheap & cheerful for phone (£7.99/month) and Orange for broadband (£10/month) and have not had any issues for ~2 years.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
  • Both use resold BT lines to provide the service as do TalkTalk  so I  guess it is service and price that drives the choice
  • thanks very much for all your advice.
  • I have BT for my landline and Virgin Media for broadband (no cable TV, just basic broadband package).<div><div>Been fairly happy with Virgin - recently I had a fault and the engineers turned up at the agreed time,  changed my hub/router and sorted the issue quickly.</div></div>
  • "Whatever you choose, please avoid TalkTalk.  So many people I know have had bad service from them."<br><br>Seconded. <br>
  • Ditto.<br><br>It's been years, and I still haven't forgiven them. There's a reason they're cheap.<br>
  • I feel the need to say this every time - TalkTalk have been great for me.  Excellent speed, great customer service, good value for money.  They recently threw in a year's subscription to Lovefilm for no apparent reason.  Between three housemates we kept going over the (already high) download limit, so after a friendly warning they gave us unlimited data for an extra fiver a month.  I must be in a minority, but I feel I should commend them for services rendered.<br>
  • Try Be broadband. You can have your phone rental for £10 per month (£4 to £5 cheaper than BT). Otherwise you can take evening/w.e or anytime.<br><br>I am with them for the last 5 years, top quality, no restriction and cheap!<br><br>Be Broadband is part of Telefonica who owns O2.<br>
  • We are with Virgin. When we lived on Lancaster Road the service was terrible, always cutting out and very slow but now we are on Hanley Road we often get faster speeds than we pay for which is great!<br>
  • Due to move out soon and will be happy to be leaving Virgin. Planning on going back to PlusNet. Excellent value and customer service (fast online responses, UK call centre) and you can usually find some special deals via Topcashback etc when signing up. Uses BT network but found their service so much better than when I'd previously been with O2.
  • Thanks for the info Ali, I was not aware about the gossip. Well, let's wait and see :-)<br><br>Anyway, O2 bought Be at the time, both companies are managed a bit different where Be is a bit more friendly, geeky and cheap.<br><br>Nevertheless, I just renewed my contract fro one year with half price broadband (promotion for fixing my contract  from rolling monthly contract to yearly contract) and the phone line rental (with international call).<br>I am paying now £23 per month!<br><br>I would recommand to use Quidco for any Broadband if you want some cashback and good deal for any Broadband you are going to choose <span class="Author"><a href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/profile/3397/mountpelephant">mountpelephant</a><br><br>JimS<br></span><br>Unlimited usage<br><br>