extended collective licensing

AliAli
edited January 2013 in Sharing
<P>It seems  like the LibCons are about to legislate to potentially give ownership of your photos that you have on cloud services to who ever porvides that service.  Get your creators ID against each of your photos</P> <P><A href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/14/instagram_bombs/">http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/14/instagram_bombs/</A></P>; <P> </P>

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • "Hey Instagram is going to steal all my photos!"<br>"Dude, no one wants 257 fuzzy photos of your cat."<br>
  • edited January 2013
    I don't understand why people are upset. Instagram are providing the service for absolutely no charge, why shouldn't they be able to do what they like with the content? I'm sure that some of the people bitching about it are perfectly happy to steal music, films etc on the 'net, (stuff that has a creators ID on it REALLY clearly). What is the difference? The lesson here is don't put stuff you would like to keep private on a public stage - the Internet. Never seen the point of Instagram, I like Pinterest though.
  • <P>It's not a question of privacy, it's a question of ownership and with more personal content moving to the cloud I think it's serious. I know I wouldn't want pictures of me promoting a product, company or cause that I think is vile or don't belive in.</P> <P> </P>
  • I like Pintrest, I like it's layout now heavily copied) and the way it can highlight aesthetically cool stuff - although I'm not the artsy crafty type a lot of it takes aim at.<br><br>However, I wonder how many people using it know about copyright etc.<br><br>This makes an interesting, if perhaps over zealous, read.<br><br><a href="http://ddkportraits.com/2012/02/why-i-tearfully-deleted-my-pinterest-inspiration-boards/">Why I left Pintrest</a> - a fan and lawyer's take.<br>
  • @JoeV - You could, ya know, pay for a service that's specifically designed to securely store your personal content, instead of expecting a free-to-use service to meet your needs without asking for anything in return.<br><br>Pintrest is like MySpace for 30-something women, where people use content created by others to express their 'creativity'. They do this usually without the content owner's consent. More often than not, they don't even bother to credit the person.<br><br>I've never had a problem with Facebook, Flickr, etc using my photos. I have had issue with people copying and pasting my photos from websites to use for their own purposes. They never for permission.<br>
  • <P>@RC -- I don't see why you draw a distinction between large corporations and private individuals using your content without credit. </P> <P>If I sign up for a service that states explicitly that my content will be exploited in ways that I may not agree with without securing my permission first, then it's my choice to use the service or not. But it's fundamentally dishonest to offer the service, agree to terms and conditions, and then change the terms after the fact. It's the old bait and switch game to me.</P> <P>It doesn't matter if the service is free. It's not my job to come up with a business model that makes money for companies such as facebook, which I use by the way I use but don't post pictures any longer.</P> <P>And for waht it's worth, I do use a pay service for my main e-mail and not Google, which essentially sells your private correspondence to advertisers.</P>
  • Pinterest etiquette suggests that you use a link to the original image rather than copying the image. That's what I do, bit rude to do otherwise. I don't know anything about MySpace, I thought that was only for music. Pinterest is used by a lot of companies now, and every professional and freelance creative I know uses it for work - putting portfolios online, creating mood boards etc. For some people it isn't just a hobby or mechanism for showing off.
  • I adore Pinterest. Probably using in much the same way as miss annie - to promote my own designs and for inspiration and to save tutorials. I also link to the original image. <br><br>I accidentally uploaded pictures of my boobs to Google Plus. They're welcome to use them.<br>
  • @JoeV - I draw a distinction between people taking my stuff without asking and companies adhering to their own terms, which I agreed to. These companies provide me with a free service that benefits me in some way. The people taking my photos aren't doing me a favour. At best, they're being inconsiderate. At worst, they're stealing. <br><br>Not being a complete idiot, I knew from the day I signed up to Facebook, etc that these are companies offering a service, not friends doing me a favour out of the goodness of their hearts. And as I'm not the one who's paying for it, I'm not the customer. I'm the product. And I'm fine with that. If I wasn't, I would not have signed up.<br><br>Sure, terms and conditions change, but if you thought that you'd be getting a free service indefinitely, giving nothing in return, you only have yourself to blame. If you don't like the new terms, leave. No one's forcing you to continue using these sites. <br>
  • Sort of changing the subject, but hipstamatic is far better than instagram, and you own your own content.
  • I can't sign up to anything prefixed 'hipsta', I am too old.
  • I know, I know, but it's named after a 1970s camera.