technological entrapment, help ...

edited February 2013 in Sharing
Does anyone have a power lead for an old Dell laptop they could lend/ pass on? I replaced mine last summer, never got around to transferring files properly, and now I need to get access to files on it the power lead has completely disappeared and the battery has completely died. It's an Inspiron 6000 (it doesn't help that every Dell I've ever had has needed a different lead). <div><br></div><div>Not sure what the moral of this is, but it may be to write EVERYTHING down on paper. I have a long history of obsolete and no longer accessible equipment: LPs, cassettes, videos, files in no longer extant WP programmes, amstrad floppy disks (about twenty of these), floppy disks full stop (a drawer full) ... you'd think I would have learned but I must say power lead problems hadn't occurred to me ...</div><div><br></div><div>very grateful if anyone can help!</div>

Comments

• The moral is to back-up your files.  I say this in the knowledge that I have not done so for two years, despite my netbook now making a horrible emphysema noise whenever you turn it on.<br>
  • actually that's a point - I think I have quite a lot of the files from the old one on a memory stick somewhere. Somewhere. I will go and hunt...<div><br></div>
  • We have a Dell lead that we could lend, I'll check which model when I get home, you're welcome to borrow for a while if It's the right one.
  • I had an Inspiron that got nicked without the power cable. I suspect I've since chucked the cable, but I shall look when I get home this evening and let you know. <br>
  • many thanks all! <div>@yagamuffin - I don't think so - it does go into a round hole but that model doesn't look familiar. But I'm happy to try anything ...</div><div><br></div><div>@miss annie, @idoru - thanks both, will keep fingers crossed. </div><div><br></div><div>I do think dell practice on this is weird - I have in searching for the right one found several other old dell cables, but none of them work!</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • You have to be careful with Dell - seeking to replace a power lead recently, I found that some transformers/ cables seem to fit OK and will run a machine from the mains, but won't charge up the battery.<br><br>If you are going to buy a new one online, check carefully first to see what you're getting.   Sorry, I can't remember the technical jargon, but you can work it out from the pissed-off comments people leave on ebay.<br><br>I've given up with Dell.   Never going to buy another.    My current laptop is an Acer and though cheap, works a dream and is possibly the best choice I've ever made.<br><br><br><br><br>
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">I have one like this </font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-PA-1650-05D-5U092-Power-Supply/dp/B000NRC364</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">that you're welcome to borrow. Though to be honest I'm not sure where the laptop it goes with is....</font></div>
  • Andy - thank you - but I don't think it will work, sadly, it's for latitude ...<div><br></div><div>KRS - yes, agree, I stopped buying dell after two or three hard drives in succession died on me! But their ghosts have not yet been disposed of.</div>
  • There's a shop on Seven Sisters, closer to the Holloway Road end, boasting a sizeable ratking of old mobile phone leads in a basket outside.  Maybe they have a few laptop cables as well.  You never know your luck.
  • Sorry, couldn't find the cable :(<br>
  • no worries, someone on freecycle came up with one! Amazing what a lot of helpful people there are when you ask.
  • I've had bad experiences with Acers, tend to have a load of bloatware pre-installed and getting in the way, and to pack up all too easily. 
  • "tend to have a load of bloatware pre-installed and getting in the way, and to pack up all too easily......."<br><br>Just the way I feel really too.<br>