Are you too scared to cycle in London?

Comments

• edited May 2013
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2" style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">Stella and Miss Annie thank you for offer of helping my girlfriend find her wheels on the roads of London. however she is currently 7 months pregnant so it will be a little while before she will have a chance to get on the road. </font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">I think I will take her out on some quieter roads when she's ready just to get her confidence up before she starts cycling to Essex Rd area. </font></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">I agree being a native Londoner does help when you first get on the road, I know the streets of London quite well so never feel nervous apart from once trying to negotiate Vauxhall roundabout (I had to get off the road & walk my bike round).</font></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Papa L I really like your post :) </font></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Things I really don't agree with are: </font></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: small;">Cyclists who jump red lights, don't stop at zebras, don't signal, don't use the lifesaver (over the shoulder) look when pulling out & wear headphones. I've also seen cyclist with umbrellas when it's raining!? </span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: small;"><br></span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><font size="2">Drivers on mobiles, doing their make up, not indicating, taking a left/right turn at NO left/right turns!! and now I've seen a lot of them who seem to be listening to their ipods with headphones on?! </font></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><font size="2"><br></font></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><div style="font-size: 10pt;"><font size="2">Black cabs just pulling over when some sticks up an arm with no care with who is behind them. </font></div><div style="font-size: 10pt;"><font size="2"><br></font></div><div style="font-size: 10pt;"><font size="2">Royal Mail vans are just reckless! </font></div></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: small;"><br></span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: small;">Pedestrians who walk into the road without looking is so dangerous especially for the cyclist as it really hurts coming off your bike or hitting your handlebars much more than it will hurt the pedestrian. </span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: small;">I hate people who have a go at cyclists who jump lights (which I don't agree with) but will happily walk into a road where it isn't a proper crossing or the lights are green. What's the difference?? </span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">I've had 3 accidents while cycling, twice I've hit the back of a car because they have braked suddenly to avoid hitting a driver cutting lanes (I once ended up in hospital with bruised ribs from my handlebar) & the other time I was right hooked by someone overtaking a stationary bus. </font></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana"><font size="2">I've also had a car change lanes without looking, which got my forearm caught between my handlebar and their side mirror I literally thought it was going to snap my arm, I've had a car chase me and try to ram me off the road which I'm still unsure of what I did apart from overtake them, I have seen a poor cyclist chased by a 4x4 and attempted to ram him (he had to jump a red light to get away), I have been nudged from behind by a car while stopped in traffic on Hornsey Rd, I've seen cyclist confront a driver at lights as they were being overly aggressive and encroaching into the ASL at traffic lights in Angel. </font><br><font size="2">I've lost count of the number of times I've been left hooked (even on no left turnings) which I have had to take drastic action... but I still love the freedom of cycling. </font></font></div></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">I do believe you have to expect the unexpected and be super aware of everything around you, I'm constantly looking over my shoulder (no mirrors) and never assume something before it happens, as the say assumption is the mother of all fuck ups! </div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">Cycling is meant to be enjoyable so don't get angry just wave, smile and enjoy the freedom it gives you. </div>
  • edited May 2013
    On @misscara';s point about back roads, it's easier than it looks. The trick is that more or less all the cyclists go the same way in avoiding the big roads. So just follow the other cyclists.<div><br></div><div>Drayton Park> Thornhill Road > Barnsbury > Amwell St is a good example. At about 8:15 it's basically a peloton. </div><div><br></div><div>And I would chew glass before riding up and down Camden Road, and I'm a confident cyclist.</div>
  • DJ Matt: you're welcome and congratulations. <br><br>Not sure if being a Londoner helps, but it's certainly not a disadvantage. I only started cycling here a few months after I moved to London, but never looked back. <br>
  • I always go down Camden Rd to get to the park. Just a bit stupid with the one way, so you have to cycle through the side roads, or push your bike. Very annoying.<br><br>By the way: Hide Park isn't as easy either, due to all the tourist cycling on those Barclay's bikes on the wrong side. You'd be much quicker on the main roads where you can be sure everyone goes in one direction. :-)<br><br>Okay, that was on a Saturday. <br>
  • From here to the park, Hungerford Road > North Villas > Camden Square is more or less marked out as a cycle path. You can pick up the canal at the top of Royal College Street and go round to the park that way.
  • Cheers, Andy. Will try it out next time and report back. :-)<br>
  • You don't even need to be dreamy, just unlucky. But it's the same with cars - or with walking: do everything you can, but you can't guarantee in the end you won't be in the path of some maniac. The point is to be as safe as you can. <div><br></div><div>I cycled everywhere years ago, living in flat cities with cycle-friendly cultures. Now every spring I think I should take it up again, and don't (although semi-native Londoner). Maybe we all just need to borrow miss annie's chap for a bit ...</div>
  • edited May 2013
    In the words of Aldous Huxley: "attention"
  • I'm glad to see that so many of the Stroudgreeners are cycling. :-)<br>
  • edited May 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I've not cycled since I was a kid, so the idea of London biking terrifies me, but then I walk pretty quickly anyway.<div><br></div><div>The whole business where people take sides on drivers/cyclists/pedestrians annoys me. Almost everyone is in at least two of those categories at different times, many are in three. A wanker is a wanker, they'll just express their wankerishness differently depending on mode of perambulation. Ditto a civilised person. </div>
  • edited June 2013
    Good news that motorists are to be fined for going into the ASL cyclist boxes.  Saw a taxi do this and endanger lots of cyclists on the cycle diversion at the St. Paul's end of Hatton Garden heading towards the dodgy roundabout the other day.<div><br></div><div>As others have said try not to get too competitive with cars and other cyclists and try not to beat the lights too much.  I find stopping at lights gives me a chance to catch my breath and not sweat too much.  </div><div><br></div><div>And cycling via Hornsey road onto Benwell road,  Thornhill road, Barnsbury,  Amwell road, as the route passes Islington Central library it makes a great place to stop (probably more on the way back in the evening) to duck in from the rain, change into waterproofs, and there are toilets there.  Even if it's closed there's shelter by the door.</div>
  • Love cycling, now that the weather is getting better, and the daylight hours are friendlier.<br><br>Last night we watched a movie at the Islington view and took the route that others were talking about. Hornsey road, Holloway road, Liverpool rd.  Liverpool road was exceptionally peaceful and a nice way to unwind after a weeks work.<br><br>Thanks for starting this thread. It's great to read about everyones different cycling paths for new ideas.<br><br><br>
  • I need to start cycling again - not scared, just lazy.<div><br></div><div>I was a cyclist before I learnt to drive, so I would consider myself a very cyclist-considerate driver, but it's alarming how many blind spots you have in a car, particularly if a deranged cyclist decides to undertake you. So now, when I'm on my bike, I never assume a car can see me unless I'm directly in front or behind it. I don't even go near lorries or buses.</div><div><br></div><div>The best tip anyone told me was to look behind regularly, just a quick glance. It's a bonus if you get a look at where the car is, and what it's about to do, but it's mainly psychological - seeing a bit of your face reminds the driver you're a human, and a fairly vulnerable one at that, rather than an annoying obstacle and they tend to behave better. </div>
  • edited June 2013
    I'm glad everyone is enjoying themselves. <br><br>Misscara: I read you've moved, how is the new place? <br><br>I agree that looking what's going on behind yourself is quite important, particularly if you'd like to change lanes or else. Never assume the driver behind you sees you. Two seconds looking away from the road can make a fatal difference. I sometimes get grief from drivers when I cycle in the middle of the lane/road when there's the possibility to turn left or go straight. I'm doing that for a reason, driver, get over it! <br><br>It's true that a moron is a moron, and they're everywhere: as pedestrians, as cyclists and as drivers.<br>
  • edited June 2013
    Dressing like a person rather than a Lycra lout might not help, @Misscara - did you see on Twitter the story of the cyclist who was stopped by the police because he was riding an expensive bike while dressed as a person? They thought he must have nicked it!
  • @djmattyoung, you missed out cyclists on mobiles - am always surprised how many I see on SGR. The other thing that baffles me is how many cyclists overload their bikes with e.g. shopping. Surely having heavy bags hanging from the handlebars upsets one's centre of gravity? They always look rather wobbly, & I give them a particularly wide berth. As a driver, I'm much more frightened of cyclists than I am of other drivers - I find them a lot more unpredictable!
  • The other problem with Camden Road is the potholes and sunken drain grates - in the bus lane - and I avoid it when I can.  <div><br></div><div>I have a short commute to Tufnell Park (rain or shine) and, other than when on the pavement leading up to my house, always ride on the road and obey traffic rules.</div>
  • I hardly see cyclists on mobiles, but when I do I think they're mad. Same goes for cycling freehand on busy roads. If a pedestrian steps out between two cars, it's going to hurt. <br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks, I like to be called moron. I cycle with headphones, but it doesn't mean I don't pay attention. I can still hear the traffic over the music and I do look left, right, behind and straight ahead. It's just when you have the music so loud that you can't hear anything else that it's dangerous. I rely a lot on my hearing when cycling. Never realised how much until I had a nasty ear infection and was deaf on the right ear for weeks. Man, that was scary.<br>
  • It is a braver person than me that cycles in London with headphones on.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Err, I doubt that my being on a bike will kill someone. An impact would be painful, but certainly not fatal. And an impact could only happen if the person is running in front of me without looking. As I said, I still hear the traffic over the music and I look where I'm going. I quite like coming home without an incident, you see? :-)<br>
  • It isn't only about how well you can hear, is it? When you are on the road you should surely be concentrating 100% on your 'driving'. A thoughtless move on your part could cause others to swerve and crash. Your bike may not itself be capable of killing anyone, but indirectly carelessness could finish someone off, including you, the rider. I think your music could be a dangerous distraction.
  • Personally, I think that dreaming or turning your head after a skirt is far more dangerous. :-)<br>You may not believe it, but I'm quite a careful cyclist with years of cycling under my belt. My concentration is 100% on the traffic. As I said, I like staying alive. It's about knowing your abilities.<br><br>Besides: what thoughtless move would that be? Riding zick zack to the beat? I don't do that. :-)<br>
  • edited June 2013
    Okay, just so that this thread doesn't derail into any arguments:<br><br>I would never advise anyone to bend the rules or cycle with music. If I 'guide' someone, I'm even more focussed than normal and obey all rules (including music), plus I cycle a lot slower than I'd do when on my own. <br><br>I'm not a reckless cyclist and know my limits. <br><br>Oh, I just remembered one thing that drives me nuts with car drivers: when they drive all too fast out of a street and into the bus lane, without even considering that maybe a cyclist may be coming. I've lost count of the times that I had to either brake hard or swerve; the latter being super dangerous if I land in the lane with a fast approaching car behind me. <br>
  • There's no-one one on this forum who hasn't been on the end of schoolmarmish tut-tut from @misscara at some point.<div><br></div><div>Car drivers with headphones on baffles me too.</div>