Are you too scared to cycle in London?

Comments

• <P>seems  like the Major is dolling out the cash to the boroughs to help making cycling safer</P> <P>All 32 boroughs and the City of London bid for, and received, funding through the TFL Borough Cycling Programme to create more cycle parking, cycling training and driver training, all of which will help deliver significant cycle safety improvement"</P> <P> </P> <P>Islington has got £262k  Haringey £420K</P>
  • Cycle parking is an issue, I agree. It's often that you find those racks occupied. Re cycle training: I think it's good already, you just need to wait a little and take the day or so off. <br>In addition to this, I think it would be a good idea to have regular cyclists help out; let's say, newbie cyclists tag along with someone who goes in the same direction every day. Of course it needs to be ensured that they follow the rules. So, first doing the cycle training (if needed), then tag along, which serves the purpose of getting rid of the jitters when you cycle in the rush hour for the first time. <br><br>Drivers need training, that's for sure. As I said, when I did my test back in Germany, we were drilled to look out for cyclists, they always have right of way. If you want to turn right (left here), you need to look over your shoulder to see if a cyclist is coming, and you have to wait and let him through first. <br>It's important to get it hammered into the heads of drivers. I cycled a few times around the Battersea Park Bridge area or in Westminster. It's a mine field. I'm not scared, but I was extra careful as drivers don't give enough room. <br>
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">have you seen this video of a cyclist being attacked at Farringdon? over aggressive driving, then the cyclist doesn't help matters by chasing and screaming at the driver, he then gets assaulted by the passenger of the car. I cycle this way every day and there are some stupid drivers down this stretch of road. </font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><a href="">
  • Yep, seen it. I don't agree with the cyclist's behaviour. All this taking it up on yourself to educate people is just causing more damage. The driver knew very well what he was doing, and I bet he'll do it again. The cyclist put himself in danger getting close to the car, something I wouldn't have done. He was actually waiting sort of behind the box and only went forward later--why? No idea. <br>You get stupid behaviour all the time, if I were to explode every single time it happens, I'd probably die of a heart attack sooner than later.<br>
  • Police outside Tesco stopping people for cycling on path.
  • edited January 2014
    They're actually there for people to get their bikes registered. Went past and had a chat with them. Their machine didn't seem to work then. <br>Police said there have been increased incidents of theft in this area; people lock your bikes away.<br>
  • Ha. They told me off for cycling on the path! I cycled from the road into the bike storage thing. I thought they were booking other people but they must have just been registering their bikes. Not sure why they didn't ask me if I wanted to register mine...
  • Weird. It's not that you were cycling all the way from Tesco to Sainsbury's. And that's a really short stretch to the bike storage. Sorry you got told off. <br>
  • I guess that's why they didn't fine me. I wanted to discuss the finer points of the law with them (like if police vans are allowed to park on the path!) but thought it might turn nasty and result in a fine so I didn't.
  • Exactly what I thought: huh? How can you park here, in the middle of the foot path? I also find it ridiculous to tell someone off when it's that wide a path. I'd understand if it had been on the other side. Ah well, maybe they were annoyed that their machine didn't work, plus it was also quite cold today. <br>
  • You really shouldn't cycle on the pavement or go through red lights as a cyclist.  I'm one and cycle to work a few times a week.  It's so easy to go on pavements or go through red lights when it's quiet but we (cyclists) won't get the respect of the public (especially the pedestrian) until we stop being so disrespectful.<div><br></div><div>A friend of mine who cycles every day to work, every weather posted a very hateful post (and he's quite a chilled guy) towards wanker cyclists and joggers on the Regent's canal towpath who just use it as a race-track.  </div><div><br></div><div>GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR</div><div><br></div>
  • I don't like going along the canal; far too many pedestrians, people with dogs, children and whatnot, jogger and other cyclists on a very tiny strip. I prefer the roads. <br>Pedestrians? I don't really need their respect. They just walk into roads without looking, causing me to swerve and therefore endanger me if a car is behind me. Actually, I don't need the respect of anyone; I'm a careful cyclist, always expecting someone else making a mistake. If someone considers me, I thank them, if they endanger me, I let out a swearword or two, and if someone shouts after me for I cycled through red, I shrug. <br>
  • @ Stella, I'm a cyclist too and understand problems from motorists and pedestrians.  But I ask you:<div><br></div><div>Is it okay for cyclists to cycle on pavements, go through red lights, cycle like crazy on a towpath.</div><div><br></div><div>I saw a crazy cyclist in Springfriend park get off his bike and shout at a mother and child because the child wondered in his way.  He was cycling like an olympian on a path which really was made for walkers.  If i'd been nearer I would of had a right go at him.  He was a right bully.  When I was a three year old kid my mother didn't have to worry about lycra clad wanker cyclists.  She'd take myself and sister for a walk and we could wander around a path without this type of crap.</div>
  • Considerate is the word.<br>
  • edited January 2014
    Stella, you said you just shrug when someone challenges you when you go through a red light.  I've been crossing the road when cyclists have done this.  I'm talking about walking across when the pedestrian lights have gone green and cyclist has nearly hit me<div><br></div><div>Do you not think the rules of the road are to be upheld?</div><div><br></div><div>I agree that some some rules should be ignored.  On the cross way with SGR and Tollington, I turn right when the green pedestrian lights are on but when the pedestrians have gone and I go slowly.  Otherwise I encounter lorries and buses and it's scary.</div><div><br></div><div>Consideration is important, but I really think that consideration means cyclists shouldn't gun through pedestrian crossings when the lights are green for pedestrians, or cycle like crazy through parks, along canals and there's really no excuse for cycling on a pavement.</div>
  • kreuzkav is right. Cyclists need to consider and respect other road/pavement users. If you're using a dual-use path slow down. Don't run red lights when people are trying to cross the road. Until we can show that we're considerate of others why should they be considerate of us?<br>
  • Err, you're going through red to turn right when pedestrians are having green. There, that's a rule you're breaking. Therefore you cannot judge me by doing just the same. I don't go through red light when I endanger anyone else. And I don't care if someone's shouting at me from behind, just because they happen to patiently wait. Their choice, my choice. <br>I've said it many times: I'm a considerate cyclist, just that I bend the rules sometimes (when it's safe to do so!)<br><br>Your double standards don't faze me, you see?<br>
  • @ Stella, I never turn right when there's a pedestrian around.  I go slowly just as the light goes red (pedestrian) because I know the system.  I've never had a pedestrian shout at me because i've never cut them up.<div><br></div><div>You said pedestrians shout at you which means you must cycle through red lights when they've got the right of way and are crossing, why else would they complain.</div><div><br></div><div>You seem to have this 'us and them attitude' which is what gives cycling a bad name.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • You need to read more carefully, Kreuzkav. I never said a pedestrian shouted at me. People seems to read all sorts of things into my posts. Quite amusing. <br>I certainly don't have the 'us and them' attitude. I cycle carefully and considerate, I thank drivers when they let me go first and I let them go first when there's a gap I can quickly get into. I don't cycle through red lights when I could endanger anyone (that includes pedestrians, yes!) and I don't use a foot path as a race track, hardly cycle on foot paths anyway. <br><br>Of course, you can think whatever you like, but I do not like it if someone's talking bullshit. At least I'm honest enough to admit I bend the rules, rather than being a hypocrite.<br>
  • <span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 12.727272033691406px; line-height: 20.80000114440918px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><i>'and if someone shouts after me for I cycled through red, I shrug'</i></span><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 12.727272033691406px; line-height: 20.80000114440918px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><i><br></i></span></div><div><font face="lucida grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, tahoma, sans-serif"><span style="font-size: 12.727272033691406px; line-height: 20.80000114440918px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">You said the above.  You must have made them angry. </span></font></div><div><font face="lucida grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, tahoma, sans-serif"><span style="font-size: 12.727272033691406px; line-height: 20.80000114440918px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br></span></font></div><div><font face="lucida grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, tahoma, sans-serif"><span style="font-size: 12.727272033691406px; line-height: 20.80000114440918px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">Anyway, I agree bending rules is sometimes necessary for cyclist safety but you gave the impression that you had some hatred for anyone who challenges your right of way.  Maybe I got the wrong impression.</span></font></div><div><font face="lucida grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, tahoma, sans-serif"><span style="font-size: 12.727272033691406px; line-height: 20.80000114440918px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br></span></font></div><div><font face="lucida grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, tahoma, sans-serif"><span style="font-size: 12.727272033691406px; line-height: 20.80000114440918px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">I think we can agree that cyclists shouldn't ride on the pavement, gun through red lights and should cycle slowly on canal towpaths and through parks, unless a cycle speedway is set up through them.  Cyclists while vulnerable need to know that sometimes they can't always have the right of way and get frustrated just because a car is blocking their way.  I don't drive so this comes from a cyclist and pedestrian viewpoint. </span></font></div><div><font face="lucida grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, tahoma, sans-serif"><span style="font-size: 12.727272033691406px; line-height: 20.80000114440918px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br></span></font></div><div><font face="lucida grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, tahoma, sans-serif"><span style="font-size: 12.727272033691406px; line-height: 20.80000114440918px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br></span></font></div>
  • edited January 2014
    That was with regards to others feeling the need to 'educate' me. It was a little side road that led into a bigger road. A cyclist was patiently waiting for the lights to turn green. I approached, looked to the right, nothing, so I turned left, jumping the red light. That light is totally useless, in my POV. You look to the right and if there's cars, buses or a cyclist coming, you stop and let them pass. Simples. He shouted after me, 'It's red!'<br>I thought: Really? You think I didn't see that? I shrugged and carried on. No point getting into arguments. I didn't endanger anyone. Not him, not myself, nobody. Mind your own business, man. <br>It's not that I try to catch all red lights; it's more sporadic, not a sport. <br>I've had motorists literally touching me when lights turned green and they squeezed through the car to the right and me. Now that is dangerous, and that at green lights. <br><br>Oh, and I have a drivers license as well as I walk and cycle. As I said: be considerate in all three and you're fairly safe.<br>
  • Well, a bit more detail helps.<div><br></div><div>I know you're going through a bad time. </div><div><br></div><div>Take care.</div>
  • What I'm going through really hasn't got anything to do with this all. I just hate it if people interpret my posts as they wish. Happened beforehand, too. And that despite my saying that I'm a considerate cyclist many times.<br>
  • You can say you are a considerate cyclist all you like, but from what you describe about your technique and disregard for rules, you are not. If a car goes through red after looking and thinking it's safe and you stop do you think 'oh well, their choice my choice?" I will never understand why you think the law doesn't apply to you unless you feel like abiding by it.
  • As a several-times-a-week cyclist, I'm dismayed at how often pedestrians look surprised when I "let" them cross on a green man or slow down for them at a zebra crossing.  I just hope in some small way it helps counter the popular perception that cyclists are inconsiderate light-ignoring idiots.<br><br>Sometimes I'm a cyclist, sometimes I'm a pedestrian, sometimes I'm a motorist. I should be courteous to others regardless.<br><br>Law enforcement should apply both ways though - OK, the police want to stop cyclists who ride on the pavement, but what about drivers stopping in the bicycle box at traffic lights?  This should be treated the same as jumping a red light in terms of fines, points on licence etc.<br>
  • edited January 2014
    @ J,  agree so much.  I think the police are right to target bad cyclists but they don't seem to be clamping down too much on motorists going into cycle boxes.  <div><br></div><div>Saying that, I've noticed motorists being more respectful over the last few months concerning the boxes.  Perhaps there's been a slight police intervention on this.  Or motorists are being a bit more thoughtful.</div>
  • edited January 2014
    See, and I don't go and start discussing motorists in the cycle box. It's not right, but if there's no other cyclist in the box or no cyclist at all, then I don't know why they shouldn't be there. Frankly, I've had it so many times that I couldn't even get into the empty cycle box and had to wait until the lights turned green and the cars had moved. <br>When Sutent and I were riding, there was a very naughty cap driver, who not only made a U-turn at a red light, but went straight to the pedestrian island. I was baffled, but didn't really get an outrage as he didn't endanger anyone.<br><br>What I don't like is when drivers race through Zone 20 and around corners. I mean people step into their way and that's it. If a car hits you when 'bending' the law it's dangerous, those guys are sitting in a tonne-heavy weapon.<br>
  • Annie: Yes: I've seen it many times that a car just goes through red and I didn't. I also don't get all enraged about that. Maybe I've got quite the laid back attitude towards those things. I've been cycling for a very, very long time and seen a lot. I occasionally jump a red light and am suddenly THE rule breaker extraordinaire. <br><br>
  • edited January 2014
    Stella I don't mind cyclists going through a red light if it is not endangering anyone and it is actual a lot safe of the cyclist if they do. <div>However I do think it gives out a bad perception of cyclists no matter how safe it is in reality people just see a cyclist jumping a red light, think they are stupid/dangerous and then it tars other cyclists with the same brush and doesn't change people's way of thinking of cyclists. </div><div><br></div><div>Aren't they going to bring in cyclist traffic lights soon? I think Bow roundabout has them.</div>