Are you too scared to cycle in London?

Comments

• When I cycled on the paths outside Tesco it was just a few meters from the side of the road to the bike lock things. Cycling there isn't going to harm anyone. It's not anti social or dangerous. As I said before I'm guessing that's why I wasn't fined. The policewoman used some common sense but still felt she needed to say something if strictly speaking I was breaking the law.<div><br></div><div> But...what is the actual law? Would I have to stop on the road, dismount and then walk onto the path to be keeping within the law? If so, how do I signal to cars that I'm going to do this? Equally, when I'm leaving my flat I'll cycle from my front door onto the road. i.e I don't walk onto the road, get on my bike and cycle off because this would be dangerous.</div>
  • I honestly don't know what the law is. My guess would be that you can cycle off the road into the safety of the foot path, then dismount and push the bike to the stands. <br>And cycling from the door to the road is probably not allowed. I personally find it silly to tell you off as you were clearly just going to the stands and not cycling on the foot path from Tesco to Sainsbury's. <br><br>Maybe someone else knows what the law exactly is.<br>
  • The law is that it is an offence to cycle on pavements, unless the pathway has been designated as shared use. So, yes, by cycling from your front door or up to the bike lock things you are breaking the law. What you're supposed to do is mount/dismount on the curb. But as you say this could be dangerous and any police around should use their common sense. 
  • Thought so. Thank you, Idoru.<br>
  • Thanks Idoru. I think i'll be more careful in future about cycling on footpaths!
  • They're talking about changing the law, so not all's lost. <br>
  • edited February 2014
    It's worth noting that the no cycling law only applies to paths that run alongside a road. Technically a 'footway'. A footpath that doesn't run alongside a road is OK to cycle on, unless there are local or by laws over-riding that law. So passageways, paths in parks etc that don't have signs telling you not cycle are OK. <div><br></div><div>You also can't "<span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: arial, helvetica, verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; text-align: justify;">wilfully lead or drive any horse, ass, sheep, mule, swine, or cattle" along footways. So that told us!</span></div>
  • Unless you have the freedom of the City of course.
  • Yesterday morning:<br><br>Woman with a bike stood under the FP bridge feeding pigeons--in itself wrong if you ask me, but what amazes me is that she was standing smack bang in the cycle path, facing me and not even making an attempt to move, nor did she apologise. In addition to that I was almost head-butted by a startled pigeon. Not sure why they always go for me. Second time in two months.<br>
  • I often come on here to rant about crazy/ignorant drivers but I think I'm going to give up or I'd be on here 24/7
  • I can't understand why people feed those rats on wings.  Ken Livingston was right to ban the pigeon feed man from Trafalgar Square.
  • I don't rant as much about drivers. On some cycle fora they are rather militant, which I'm not. Anyone can have a bad day. Okay, some drivers are just absolute nutcases and endanger cyclists, but having a word with them won't change their habits; they think the roads belong to them and will drive accordingly. I'm also not a big lobbyist for cycle safety; mostly because I'm okay with the way things are. Doesn't mean I'd appreciate if things improved.<br>
  • Seen today:<br><br>I cycled up a side road and a car was about half out of a parking spot. Driving slowly into the road, the mirror still neatly bent inwards. I kept going anticipating what was about to happen, merrily saying aloud, 'Have we looked into the mirror yet, before leaving the parking position?' <br>No, driver hadn't looked and drove right into my way. I sighed and started to pedal again. Just so wonderful, these things.<br>
  • Bloody windy today. Am down with a weird flu/cold mix. Couldn't sit at home any longer and took my bike for a brief trip to Dalston. Was almost blown off my bike. Doh.<br>Careful out there, guys.<br>
  • How silly is it to leave a bike outside overnight at Euston station? Off to Coventry overnight tomorrow and would like to cycle to the station but not sure how sensible it is?<div><br></div><div>Have a kryptonite lock which I'm toldis pretty decent?</div>
  • It's monitored all the time, should be fine.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Get the 91 bus. What's the point in taking the risk Peter
  • I think your bike is pretty safe, Peter. If it's the one you had today. Thieves go for shiny, flashy ones that are quick to sell. If you lock the rear wheel and frame to a secure place, it'll be fine.<br>
  • Yeah Stella. It's not an expensive bike so less likely to get stolen. Sutent makes a good point though - maybe not worth the risk. The bike is worth alot to me as I use it so regularly!
  • And now that it doesn't squeak anymore ... ;-) It's true, though, if you don't want to risk it, don't leave it. I'd never leave any of my bikes anywhere over night. But I'm building a bike (also a Viscount), which will look unappealing to thieves so I can leave it for hours or a night or two.<br>
  • I wouldn't leave mine, even though I'm sure plenty of people do and never have a problem. I know I'd just be gutted if I came back and it wasn't there so for me it's not worth the risk. <div><br></div><div>Lovely ride to work this morning. Good temperature, no rain and - most importantly - hardly any traffic. Got to love half term week!</div>
  • I agree Idoru. You can't steal something if you cant see it. I can't believe how many people I see  walking down the road with a mobile phone in their hand talking or texting etc. I would never take my phone out of my pocket unless I felt I was in a safe environment where I could see what was around me. 
  • I think I jinxed the traffic! Absolute gridlock round Walthamstow. I happily sailed past it all in the cycle lanes :)
  • North Circular closed due to accident, and everyone was clogging up all the adjoining streets, including Walthamstow. It took me FOUR HOURS to drive back from work, as opposed to my usual 45 minutes. I would need to be a better cyclist than I am to do Beckton and back daily - but it was one of those days when you shake your fist against the universe.<div><br></div>
  • That sounds horrible Kate. Good that your home safely. I used to work in Southend and have been caught in many north circular jams in my time
  • thank you for sympathy, Sutent! The worst thing (once I'd come to terms with the fact that all my evening plans had gone to pieces) was that the petrol warning beeps started to go off - and how to top up when you're sitting in stationary traffic with the engine gently running is a source of extreme stress. Is it better to turn the engine off and save petrol, or does that simply mean you use more each time you start? Does an engine running for an hour while you travel four miles use more petrol than an engine running for ten minutes while you travel ten? Etc. <div><br></div><div>Luckily I got to Walthamstow in time to find a petrol station...</div>
  • You can steal things if you can't see them - pickpockets do. However, advertising what is about your person is foolish. I saw someone steal an Apple laptop from a coffee shop the other day, the chap was merrily typing away and someone trotted in, picked up the laptop and ran out of the door. Amazed it doesn't happen more often.
  • Where was that? *makes mental note to sit near the toilets*
  • Annie when you pickpocket you go for the wallet bulge or the purse in the handbag