Are you too scared to cycle in London?

Comments

• I'm quite all right with that. I just don't see the argument 'wrong move'. For all I've experienced it's the pedestrians with their iPods, dreamily walking onto the road without looking. That's a real danger. As a cyclist, at least I'm looking where I'm going. <br><br>If music was that bad, cars shouldn't be allowed to have radios. Leaning forward to change the channels can be dangerous. <br><br>However, I think we all agree on something: mutual respect and paying attention is vital, no matter if you're walking, cycling, driving or flying your helicopter. :-)<br>
  • edited June 2013
    I have taken to shouting at anyone who cycles through a red light. To the extent of catching them and calling them rather unpleasant names. It is illegal and speaking from the ambulance point of view lethal.
  • edited June 2013
    I don't wear headphones when I cycle, on the occasion when I have I wear just one and keep the volume low.<div><br></div><div>I do, however, on an almost daily basis see people riding around with both headphones on so loud that I can hear them - they definitely can't hear anything and are asking for trouble.</div><div><br></div><div>In my book, which is not quite the letter of the law, here's how I work it.</div><div><br></div><div>Cycling straight through red lights at junctions is wrong.</div><div>Turning right through a red light is wrong</div><div>Going straight through a red light pedestrian crossing with anyone on it or near it is wrong</div><div>Turning left at a completely empty junction and crossing on a red light is ok - but there must be no cars or no people you can cause a problem for or piss off.</div><div>Going through a red light at a pedestrian crossing when there is no one anywhere near it - ie the pedestrian has already crossed on red themselves and long since buggered off is ok.</div><div>Let people through - don't get mad at people who make a mistake.</div><div><br></div><div>I am aware some will agree with me and some will vehemently protest the rule breaking, I might even get chased by Detritus, but this seems a reasonable and courteous way to get about on a bike to me.</div><div><br></div><div>I must say that I also think a lot of the problems we have is to do with the segregation attitude for pedestrians, bikes and cars - look at the general fury of cyclists when they encounters someone who has blundered on foot into their cycle path. </div><div><br></div><div>A bit more sharing and thinking of others would go a long way.</div>
  • PapaL, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Yes, we're breaking some rules, but we do it with caution and when we can't hurt anyone. I see the police on foot or wardens walk across the road when the lights are red. <br><br>It might sound silly, but in many cases it's even safer for the cyclist to jump the red lights, for I'm gone before the car that wants to turn left can overrun me. <br><br>Again: only if it's safe to go (often when the pedestrians have green at a crossing parallel to your path). I very rarely have 'aggressive' encounters with anyone, the few I had was when I was almost knocked off my bike by drivers who didn't look. <br><br>If a pedestrian walks into my path, I'll shout loud and clear to be careful. Normally, they'll apologise and I'll forget about it the second I'm past them. If you get hung up about incidents, you may as well just stay at home. Nothing will take the fun of cycling from me. <br><br>I hope I'll never get chases by Detrius; I've met him and he's scary. :-)<br>
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">my own choice but I don't feel the need to listening to music while cycling. I enjoy both immensely but feel listening to music a distraction whilst cycling and listening to music at a volume that you can hear the traffic means it is at a volume that it isn't really worth listening to it at. </font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">When I want to listen to music I'll listen to it when I can properly enjoy it & I don't feel I can do that while out on my bike. </font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">I do however sing to myself whilst cycling :) </font></div>
  • Haha. I sing along, too. <br><br>Not sure if that matters, but I think listening to music helps me. I'm ADHD and it's a bit of white background noise. I don't really 'listen' to it like I'd do with classical music, for instance, but it can pick me up when I'm a little knackered. <br>
  • R&J: how was the trip to Richmond Park? Did you make it?<br><br>PapaL: Just out of curiousity, what's the route to Kensington you're using? You said along the canal, right? It's one I'd like to try as last time I went through Regent's Park, Marylebone, Edware Rd, through Hyde Park. (I went to Hammersmith.) Took me 1.5 hours and the same way back and I think I could do that faster.<br><br>Met with a friend who's a cycling courier yesterday, and he said he'd do it in 20 minutes. Okay, that's probably with most traffic rules ignored. Bonkers. :-)<br>
  • Hi Stella, unfortunately I was unwell this weekend. Cycled into work today and even that was a bit of a struggle. Now the weather is looking up I'm hoping next weekend will be possible.
  • Oh, get well soon and be careful. Fingers crossed the weather stays like this. <br>
  • I did my first proper bike ride on Sunday. It was awesome. We mostly used quieter roads and obviously with it being a Sunday there was less traffic around anyway, but all the drivers we did encounter were perfectly courteous and gave us lots of room. I'm going to attempt the cycle to work soon. <br>
  • That's great, Idoru. You have no idea how much that makes me smile. <br>
  • Nice one Idoru. There is a good sense of acheivement after a long cycle :)
  • Couldn't agree more. Been out and about today, I think I cycle about 1.5 hours or so and could have gone on. I learned that Queensbridge Rd is a great one to cycle. Not busy and a long stretch. <br>
  • <P>It is really daft to cycle listening to music.  Your only left with one sense to protect you !</P> <P>Keep your tyres up to pressure at about 55 to 65 psi which is almost twice the pressure of a car tyre.  Helps to stop punctures , lets you go faster but will you will feel the bumps more.</P> <P> </P> <P>It is amazing hgowhow many people don't inflate properly.</P> <P> </P> <P>Cycling is really taking off with the sunny weather, counted 37 cycists at the Holborn Lights at 9.15 this morining.</P> <P>The traffic light crossing countdowns are alos good as you can tell when the red is going to go greene as you approach so understand the risk of squeeezing in front of the cars which are always in the cycle box.</P> <P> </P> <P>Glad to see that TfL are trying to impliment fines on car drivers who stop in the cycle box at lights £60 fine and it will be £30 for going into a cycle lane.</P> <P> </P> <P>THere sia los a cycle festival in Finsbury Park in a couple of weekends time </P> <P>see  <A href="http://hackney.cc/events/finsbury_park_festival_of_cycling_leaflet_a5_web.pdf">http://hackney.cc/events/finsbury_park_festival_of_cycling_leaflet_a5_web.pdf</A></P>;
  • I prefer to keep to the advised pressure on the tyre. Mine were fine, but I seemed to have gone through glass and Alex picked out two pieces yesterday. :-( The disadvantage of road bikes, they're so much more prone to punctures. Still wouldn't want to go back to MTB if not necessary. <br><br>I can only repeat: I still hear the traffic over the music. <br><br>Glad there are so many cyclists on the roads. We need more of them, get London fit and healthy. :-)<br>
  • Andy you're right I see so many people cycling with flat tyres, I sometimes have word and just tell them it will make their cycle so much easier if they inflate their tyres properly. 
  • cycle lanes in London really annoy me most of them are either damaged and unsafe to ride on or just plain stupid like this one - <a href="http://seenive.com/v/953050553368375296#.Ua3q0mTTXFT">http://seenive.com/v/953050553368375296#.Ua3q0mTTXFT</a>;
  • I've had to invest in some new grips for my bike. I'm currently using a hybrid with slick tyres and every bump is going through me to the point where I'm getting numbness in my hands after a 30 minute odd cycle. Been advised to get some ergonomic grips which reviewers seem to love. Hopefully that'll be the end of it. Roads are a state, going down the hill on Blackstock Road i was worried about coming off with the amount of bumps
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2013
    Matt: that's hilarious. Really made me laugh.<br><br>On the topic of tyres: I'm not really sure why people need to be reminded, common sense tells me that a properly inflated tyre is the better tyre. Nobody would play football with a flat football. I just can't be bothered sometimes, until I have enough creeping along the streets. :-)<br><br>R&J: Yep. And they're dangerous, particularly in the dark. No idea what to do with the grips. I have the drop down handlebars with cork/gel tape on them. Really quite comfortable. For longer rides, you may get yourself some cycling gloves, they're padded. Could as well be that you're not sitting right and are overstretched. <br>Maybe someone knows anything about it? But hopefully the new one will suit your needs. Nothing worse than an uncomfortable ride. I had trouble with my saddle. Typical issue for female bum on male saddle. Ouch. Tilted it a little forward and voila!<br>
  • edited June 2013
    R&J - Blackstock road is awful so many holes and as you come down at speed from the hill it can be really dangerous. <div><br></div><div>Misscara - have you seen this bloke in America who posts videos of him cycling with his cat - <a href=""> cat would never do this. </div><div><br></div><div>They have been sponsored by GoPro - <a href="">
  • Misscara: I could try the iguana, but don't know really where to put his long tail. I also doubt he'd sit still. :-)<br>
  • I think Beetroot would enjoy a tootle round on the bike, chap disagrees. I'm thinking of building a little sidecar contraption to see how she takes to it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • That's indeed huge.<br><br>On a different note: having your pet in a basket is probably more distracting than listening to music. I know I would pay a lot of attention to my big boy, particularly if it's an open cage. You are automatically looking a lot at your pet. Like the guy with that cat on his shoulder does. <br>
  • <P>James with Street Cat Bob you mean? They've been regulars in our shop for years, the book was written upstairs and there's a little thank you to us in the credits. </P> <P>They are doing another signing for the next book on 4th July, two hundred people came to the last one. A customer rang to tell us that she was travelling down from the Scottish borders to get her book signed! Why anyone would travel 300 miles to look at an ex-crackhead and a cat really is beyond me.</P> <P> </P>
  • Scary moi? You own a dragon Stella! My view is if it's a red light you stop, exactly the same as if you are in a car.
  • Sometimes I even <i>am </i>a dragon.<br><br>Spoke to my friend today (the one in Germany, who cycled with me here), and we were recalling her turning around a corner after I said, 'We're now going right.' <br><br>She nonchalantly (as she would do in Germany), turned right and rode on the right side of the street. <br><br>Me: No, love, we're in England, and here we cycle on the left. Chop, chop, come on over here.<br>She: Gigglescreamed and swiftly corrected her error. <br><br>Luckily it was a quiet side road and we laughed our heads off. <br>
  • We should start StroudGreen.org cycling club visit nice pubs for a non alcoholic beverage.
  • That's a mightily long name. :-)<br>