Are you too scared to cycle in London?

Comments

• David: I'd love to hear from you.Don't worry too much about left and right side. I've never driven on the left hand side before either (I'm from Germany), and just braved the traffic. It didn't take me long to get used to it. <br>But better to begin on quieter streets if unsure. Incidentally, I worked in Old Street at the time when I decided that the bus isn't a great way to get to work. The waiting times, the standing, the heat, people's morning breath or whatnot. Terrible. <br>So I went to get me a bike and boy, did I enjoy it. I lived in Stokey back then and hadn't cycled for about six months. It was definitely time to get back on the bike. <br>
  • I don't think it helps, I hadn't driven in the states but I used a bike. It's more knowing how to drive a car and the road sense it brings. I find people who can't drive a car the more dangerous cyclists.
  • edited June 2013
    I think the most dangerous participants on the streets are those without common sense or respect for others. Doesn't matter if you're on foot, cycling, driving a car, or motorbike. If you only look out for yourself, you'll get hurt or hurt someone else. <br>Recently, I was overtaken (while walking downhill) by two kids on one bike, they even touched me as they past, that close they came and rode dangerously fast down the hill, on the pavement, on the street, back on the pavement again. They were followed by a guy on roller blades (the old school ones), who raced down the hill in the bus lane. One bigger, unexpected pothole and it could have ended very badly.  <br><br>I see cyclists bringing themselves into dangerous situations and often can't help but think if they were able to calculate the risks they're taking.  <br><br>ETA: At the moment, I'm cycling on a slightly too large bike for me (in case I need to jump off, the top tube will hurt me), in addition to the bike having chrome rims instead of alloy (bad grip, particularly in the rain), and no 'back up' suicide levers. Something I need to consider. So I cycle more carefully, not as fast, have to be more on alert to be able to brake in advance. This is what I mean when saying: knowing your abilities and your bike. <br>This beauty will be up for sale at some point, in case someone's interested. It's a racer with a 24" frame. <br>
  • Stella, I also cycle on bike that is slightly too big. I am aware that I need to cycle carefully because I am a small person on a bike surrounded by people in cars, buses and lorries. I assume that everyone else on the road is an idiot, so I wear a helmet. Not because I don't trust my own ability but because I don't trust other people's. My grandad was a driving instructor in the army and that was the advice he gave my mum.
  • edited June 2013
    some good tips on how not to cycle here - Silly Cyclists - <a href="http://www.sillycyclists.co.uk/">http://www.sillycyclists.co.uk/</a>;
  • The other day I saw someone cycling a miniature penny farthing in SG. I have also seen some guy cycle a proper one down Holloway Rd at about 5am. 
  • Saw a penny-farthing cyclist on Park Rd in CE a few months ago - was very amused!
  • Saw a guy on a Penny Farthing going up Farringdon Street the other day, god know what he does at traffic lights...
  • Annie: is your bike a gent's? I'm only cycling on it, for my beloved Shawn has 'major surgery' on his bottom bracket. I'm waiting for a new spindle to arrive, so I can put everything back together. Once that's done, I'm giving the Viscount Sprint a good once over and then sell it. It's a tad dangerous to cycle on a too large frame. I needed to jump off once on my normal (right-sized) bike and had I done that on this one, I'd have hurt myself. <br>And your father's advice was spot on. <br><br>Great video. I see a lot of those situations, too.<br>
  • edited June 2013
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">I just typed miniature penny farthing into google and got this - </font><a href="http://www.minifarthing.com/site/possible-designs" style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">http://www.minifarthing.com/site/possible-designs</a><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"> wonder if we'll see some hipsters with them? - </font><a href="http://http://www.yikebike.com/" style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: small;">http://www.yikebike.com/</a>;
  • I see Penny Farthing chap on Holloway Rd too. @No, my bike is a small ladies bike but I am quite short.
  • Ahem, that should have been @Stella
  • It would be good if all SG cyclists could describe themselves and their bikes. I'm a tall man and ride a large yellow Bob Jackson say hi next time you see me.
  • Or should I say shout and wave
  • edited June 2013
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">I ride a black Marin hybrid bike, I usual wear</font><span style="font-size: small;"> jean shorts, cycling shirt (helps with the sweat), yellow fluorescent cycling jacket if the weather is bad/chilly, a bell helmet and large black dakin rucksack. Give me a wave :)  </span>
  • edited June 2013
    Miss Annie: that's sort of okay, then as the risk of injury in the lady parts isn't as high. :-) <br><br>Have to say that I just rode my bike a tad faster in Clissold Park and rather much enjoyed it. Rides pretty smooth, even though on the slightly heavier side as it's a steel frame. <br><br>Patso: I'm a blonde, always found riding a red Viscount racer. One's a Sprint (at the moment), but I'll soon be back on my Aerospace Sport. And, in the near future, I may be found on a white/red Tony Doyle Viscount. You can probably see a theme here. <br><br>I'll wave if I see any of you. <br>
  • edited June 2013
    I'm tall, on a blue Radford hybrid in a bright yellow jacket and a scalf wrapped around my neck regardless of the weather.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ahh so the fur coat is just a back comb over of your pubes?
  • I love cycling at night. It's wonderfully peaceful then. Not sure I'm able to cycle through the night as I'll get tired at some point. I'll think about it, though. Lovely idea.<br><br>I'm also considering to take part in a Death Fork Rally; which is basically a cycling tour with some Viscount enthusiasts near Lichfield.<br>
  • Death fork shame I don't have a viscount.
  • I find the most common issues are cars overtaking aggressively only to get stuck at traffic lights ten seconds later; motorbikes and mopeds stopping in the cycle zone before traffic lights ( I would say 90% of them do this), cyclists driving through red lights/on the path (I would say this is around 50 percent of cyclists). Oh and cars driving through red lights, the cycle crossing at Whittington Park is the most common place i see this.
  • Patso, I'm going to sell the red Sprint soonish. So you could have a Viscount ... Just kidding. Although, I have to say, I cycled into the city today (Trafalgar Sq.) and am growing rather fond of it. Despite its old tyres (only take 55 psi) I had to brake downhill, for those people on their modern bikes were too slow for me. haha<br><br><br>Re the death fork: I think some of them may actually turn up with an original alloy fork. I wouldn't dare cycle on it in London, if that thing breaks, you're road kill. Incidentally, I saw that there was an accident at the crossing Holloway Rd./Horsey Rd. Right at the corner. No idea what happened, but I hope the people involved are okay. Wish them a speedy recovery if not. <br>
  • Peter: yep. It's exactly what I think re cars. They overtake as if their life's depending on it, then hit the brakes. Not only is it unnecessary, but also rather bad for the environment, let alone their wallets. <br><br>Witnessed a 'near' accident today at Trafalgar Sq. A guy on a folding bike, with helmet and high visible vest almost got knocked over by a cab, because said guy found it more important to look at my boobs instead of looking where he's going. And a girl overtook a car that was indicating to go left (there was a street coming up) on Seven Sisters Rd. I saw her already on the floor. She was just lucky the car wanted to turn turn at the traffic light, not into the street. I actually shouted that she'd better use her eyes. Fits perfectly fine into the category: stupid cyclist. <br>
  • Stella: I cycle home from Hampstead every day, through residential streets with loads of speed bumps. It's a street with cars parked on both sides meaning there is only room for one vehicle.  It's downhill too. This means that I can go as fast as cars. Indeed, I'm often stuck behind a car, having to break regularly. However, if there is ever a car behind me, no way will accept that I'm going faster. Instead, they will accelerate to within a metre of me, before falling behind at the speed bumps, before repeat etc etc. 
  • edited June 2013
    Silly, isn't it? Downhill, all a driver needs to do is to step on the brake. Don't know, when I got my driver's license somewhat ten years ago, we also learned how to drive efficiently. High gear, rolling to the red traffic lights, etc. <br>Some drivers really take the biscuit. And you, be careful to cycle downhill that fast. A person walking into the street can be dangerous. :-) Safe riding, mate. <br>
  • <span style="font-size: 12.727272033691406px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: 17.99715805053711px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><font face="Arial">The Rollapaluza Urban Hill Climb is an 800m, lung-busting, uphill sprint held on Swains Lane, Highgate. It's free to enter and spectate! </font></span><div style="font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-size: 12.727272033691406px; line-height: 17.99715805053711px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><font face="Arial"><br></font></span></div><div><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); line-height: 17.984375px;"><font color="#333333" size="2" face="Arial"><a href="http://www.urbanhillclimb.com/">http://www.urbanhillclimb.com/</a></font></span></div><div><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); line-height: 17.984375px;"><font color="#333333" size="2" face="Arial"><br></font></span></div><div><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); line-height: 17.984375px;"><font color="#333333" size="2" face="Arial">I've never cycled up Swains Lane, has anyone? </font></span></div>
  • I try not to cycle any hills if possible. <br>