Are you too scared to cycle in London?

Comments

• I intend to cycle the same way I drive - by assuming that everyone else on the road is complete idiot and that someone somewhere will do the most stupid, dangerous and idiotic thing I can possibly imagine. I'm pretty sure this attitude has saved my life on several occasions. <br>
  • That's the way I go about it, Idoru. And, yes, I think if you anticipate people's idiotic behaviour, you're a lot safer on the roads. <br>Mind you, I have done some idiotic things, too. Normally on days I shouldn't be in the traffic. I call them typical ADHD days. I avoid cycling on those days now.<br>
  • <div>Idoru I agree. I think by cycling you get quite good a perceiving dangers by the way a vehicle/person is behaving when you approach them, however if you're not paying attention yourself that's when accidents happen. </div><div><br></div>funny Halfords cycling ad - <a href="">
  • Had to shout (in a friendly way) at two ladies, who crossed the street with their prams without looking. They were just chatting; not a care in the world. I needed to brake to not run them over. Things like that annoy me. <br>And pedestrians who walk in your way, then stop and stare at you, before deciding they could just hop to the left or right, only to end up in your way again. <br><br>Anyone seen Premium Rush? I calculate my route around things exactly like he did. It's always best to just stay where you are; I have a handlebar and am able to use it. :-)<br>
  • Premium Rush is a very silly film - he would be very badly injured IRL at his first fall. Still, it's only a film. (Why didn't she just take the thing herself?)
  • Loved that film. But I'm a huge fan of Joseph; he's so talented, it's beyond belief. He actually injured himself when they made the film. Thirty something stitches. <br>
  • I've done it, not racing. It is the steepest hill the other one that is not quite as steep but is longer is Muswell Hill from Ally Pally gates to the bus terminus at Muswell hill.
  • I once went to Highgate. Managed just about up to Archway and then pushed. I was already huffing and puffing only walking up that hill. Don't know why, but uphill isn't really going well with me. No idea why. <br>
  • And I thought the cycle to Crouch End was bad! I feel physically sick after that ride.
  • You both have my highest admiration to even cycle such a hill. Can't do it. Very ashamed. <br>
  • edited June 2013
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">I regularly cycle to Finchley so see my folks or friends so have no other choice but to cycle Archway Road, I've cycled Highgate Hill to the village which is a killer but never Swains Lane. </font>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • <P>I'm pretty useless with hills</P> <P> </P> <P>There's even a long drag along Highbury Grove which doesn't even appear to be a hill but still has me in bits </P>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I used to cycle Rosebery Ave regularly, and that's a damn long stretch going slightly uphill. Particularly hard when drunk in the middle of the night. (Coppers, don't look here, please. It's in the past.)<br>And I often cycled up Stamford Hill, coming from Seven Sisters. Really mean. I'd never be able to cycle up to Highgate. While I huffed and puffed walking, someone overtook me on his bike, slowly, but still riding uphill. I was in absolute awe.<br>
  • Misscara: I love Parkland Walk, but, unfortunately not so great on a road bike. <br><br>Matt: I'm planning to go to Finchley soon, guess it's pushing up the hill for me. *sigh* And I thought I'm quite fit. <br>
  • @<;SPAN class=Author><A href="http://stroudgreen.com/profile/693/Misscara">Misscara</A> I'm trying to lose weight so gonna keep cycling it till I'm better at it </SPAN>
  • Swains Lane is a killer even in a car. I swear I can hear the engine groaning 'oh bloody hell, not this one' when I turn off the roundabout!
  • Misscara - I don't particularly like cycling along parkland walk and sometimes I'm coming from the southbank or camden so I just keep on heading north up Archway Road. <div>If I cycle from my place to Finchley it only takes 15 mins, so much quicker than public transport. </div>
  • Went to Archway Rd today. That arch is enough for me. And then it started raining ... <br>
  • <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.727272033691406px; line-height: 15.454545021057129px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">This is a good idea especially as lots of people live in flats and don't have space to store bike. </span><div><span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.727272033691406px; line-height: 15.454545021057129px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br></span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.727272033691406px; line-height: 15.454545021057129px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">'Do you want a Bikehangar near you? Then fill in the form below - we'll let each council know where the demand is. Locations can be on-street or on private commercial land.'</span><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.727272033691406px; line-height: 15.454545021057129px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br><a href="http://e-activist.com/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1745&ea.campaign.id=21113" target="_blank" rel="nofollow nofollow" style="color: rgb(59, 89, 152); cursor: pointer; text-decoration: none; font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.727272033691406px; line-height: 15.454545021057129px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">http://e-activist.com/<wbr><span class="word_break" style="display: inline-block;"></span>ea-action/<wbr><span class="word_break" style="display: inline-block;"></span>action?ea.client.id=1745&ea.cam<wbr><span class="word_break" style="display: inline-block;"></span>paign.id=21113</a></div>
  • I got hit by a car yesterday, he was on his phone and drove into the back of me. Trashed my mudguard and just drove off. I was able to catch up with him at some lights and very nearly dragged him out of the car. But alas the lights changed I did give him some serious abuse.
  • edited June 2013
    What an arsehole! That's when my 'near' incidents happened: drivers on their mobile or looking at the screen. I swear, next time this happens, I'm GOING to snatch the mobile and toss it under a passing car or stomp on it. This is a serious danger.<br><br>Oh and I wanted to ask: did you do that night cycle thing? If so, how was it? There's something else coming up in August (7th?). I'm thinking of joining.<br>
  • Matt: that is cool. <br>
  • I didn't go in the end next time maybe it looked a bit too serious for me.
  • I would have loved doing that during the day, but through the night? I'd be too tired to do that.<br>
  • I think I might give up cycling, I got hit by a moped this morning. It looks like I am just a large moving target.
  • Oh no! That's rather unlucky. How did that happen and what's wrong with those people? <br>
  • Eeek. Hope you are ok