Crouch Hill Park Event 20 July

edited July 2013 in Local discussion
There is an "open day" for part of Crouch Hill Park on the 20 July.<div><br></div><div>Information by way of the Friends of the Parkland Walk  <a href="http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=276db2913bd2d2cdfee066205&id=da0b34d13d&e=f12b3a8b5f">here</a></div><div><br></div><div><br></div>

Comments

• Did you get any answers about the Totem Poles that were removed while the Ashmount school was being built @DavidBarry?
  • No, and we are also trying to trace some other wooden sculptures. I think the problem is, that on the instance of a local councillor they were put in a safe place (good thing) but no one has a record of where this safe place was. Not so good thing.
  • Not good, but typical of Haringey by the sounds of it. Who paid for the sculptures, was it taxpayers or private donors?
  • edited July 2013
    Islington, not Haringey, though that would be typical of Haringey.<br>
  • Which party was running Islington at the time ?
  • I imagine the issue is actually to do with turn over amongst officers, it is Islington by the way.<div><br></div><div>The sculptures themselves were at least 20 years old. They were wooden, and likely enough part of some artist in residence or artist workshop thingy. Although charming, not of any value. if you see what I mean</div>
  • We walked through the Crouch Hill park the other day, looks great. The new school and park will be a real asset.<br><br>However, two grumbles that have previously featured on here pretty much sum up local authority contempt for residents.<br><br>Firstly, where are the totem poles? Why were they not put somewhere safe, why are they not being reinstated? They were a piece of art, a landmark and people liked them - yet they have simply vanished.<br><br>Secondly, the skateboard ramp. It was vandalised, the council couldn't be bothered to repair it and then it simply vanished too. Where is the replacement facility?<br><br>There may be other skateparks that can be reached without going too far, ie Finsbury Park, but this was Islington's only facility and the council can't be arsed to replace it despite building a new park around where it stood - what kind of message does this send out?<br><br>All this is done with a shrug of the shoulders and trying to get information from the council on either is impossible.<br><br>And people wonder why the public don't engage with local democracy?<br><br><br>
  • According to this newsletter, there will be a new small skateboard ramp joining the fantastic new play area soon.<div><br></div><div><a href="http://parkland-walk.org.uk/pdfs/FoTPWIssue3v4op.pdf">Friends of the parkland walk newsletter</a></div>
  • I stand corrected on the skateboard ramp, shame the council can't be bothered to reply to its residents questions.<br><br>Totem Poles still missing then.<br>
  • I'm sorry to say they were sold as surplus assets for firewood. Mind you, they were in terrible condition and had been vandalised . The best thing would be for the council to get a grant from Boris' art find for some new ones - tho he will prob insist it looks line him! Chang
  • So it's hunt the totem pole. Someone must know. Let's go for it.
  • Did anyone on this site actually go to the event?<div><br></div><div>Did you enjoy it?</div><div><br></div><div>And as I said above the missing sculptures are being looked for. </div><div><br></div><div>But dont you think that the toe rags who destroyed the skateboard ramp diserve some condemnation?</div><div><br></div><div>And I know that officers have worked very hard to get funding for the new one?</div><div><br></div><div>and if the complaint is "why were we not told? well you have been now!</div>
  • No I didn't go. I'm cross about the totem poles.
  • <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:DocumentProperties> <o:Template>Normal</o:Template> <o:Revision>0</o:Revision> <o:TotalTime>0</o:TotalTime> <o:Pages>1</o:Pages> <o:Words>23</o:Words> <o:Characters>134</o:Characters> <o:Lines>1</o:Lines> <o:Paragraphs>1</o:Paragraphs> <o:CharactersWithSpaces>164</o:CharactersWithSpaces> <o:Version>11.768</o:Version> </o:DocumentProperties> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG></o:AllowPNG> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotShowRevisions></w:DoNotShowRevisions> <w:DoNotPrintRevisions></w:DoNotPrintRevisions> <w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery> <w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery> <w:UseMarginsForDrawingGridOrigin></w:UseMarginsForDrawingGridOrigin> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> <!--StartFragment--> <p class="MsoNormal">I never liked the totem poles, ugly things.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">   </span>I just hope they were turned into woodchips at the time of removal and raked over some Haringey Council flower beds.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">    </span></p> <!--EndFragment-->
  • <P>Papa L  your assumming that there is actually someone left in the council to deal with your enquiry.</P> <P>Coalition policy has been to shrink the public sector </P> <P> </P>
  • edited July 2013
    @DavidBarry - at what point weren't the toerags that destroyed the ramp condemned? That is a daft thing to say - you are falling into the trap of punting out propaganda and ignoring failings.<br><br>The comment is that officers shouldn't have to work hard to get the funding for a new one. The old one was trashed, funding should automatically be there to replace it, the option of we just let the scumbag vandals win should not exist.<br><br>The complaint is, why didn't the council bother to reply to repeated requests for information about this, as far as I knew they were completely disinterested in replacing it. Hence turning to a public forum to complain, I'd tried the actually asking them about it tactic already.<br><br>I've been in contact with them again and am slowly getting replies.<br><br>@Ali - that's because we can't afford the oversized public sector we have due to the previous government crashing the economy so spectacularly that they had to leave a note saying there was no money left - they're all in it together.<br>
  • That note was by way of a joke, you know. The last lot were fairly hopeless, granted, but if George had been at the wheel then, there would literally have been no money left, as in, ATMs shut down - the full Argentina.
  • edited July 2013
    Actually just deleted my post here, so thread about park doesn't get hijacked by a politics and economics debate.<br>