Good dry Cleaners?

edited July 2013 in Local discussion
<P>Hello - could anyone suggest a good dry cleaners and basic tailoring (e.g shortening trousers) in Stroud Green area.  Although convenient, I cannot use N4 cleaners on Stroud Green Road  (the one opposite the John Jones site) anymore -  If you want good customer service I would suggest avoiding this place ran by a  rude incompetent owner  with no interest in customers and who has a complete inability to apologise.  They managed to lose my partners trousers, the manager  then wanted to serve other customers whilst keeping her waiting and then finally  promised to call when they found them  which they did not do.  When she physically went to shop a week later it was closed although it was in  the middle of a Saturday when meant to be open. When she called the number on the door to see when they would be back, she was promised a call back to inform her, which no one did so after 20 minutes she left as there was now no answer on the phone. When she returned the owner refused to apologise and insisted on payment although sensibly she did refuse.  The shortening was not of a good quality and the dry cleaning was not the best either. </P>

Comments

• Snow White are good - a little further up SGR.<br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Goddess of weavers and needle workers - how apt!
  • Steves in Hornsey Rd great for alterations. Snow White the best local dry cleaner and owner very helpful (leads local chamber of commerce) Chang
  • Mrs K was talking of a rumpus of soap opera proportions involving the management of the one next to Sainsbury at Fiveways. Appears to have been repossessed by non-Turkish leaseholders. Someone should write a sitcom about dry cleaners.
  • A long-overdue sequel to My Beautiful Laundrette, perhaps? <div><br></div><div>Yes, Steve in Hornsey Rd (between Hanley Rd and Tollington Park) is very good and cheap - there's another thread about this somewhere in the past.</div>
  • Minerva in Fonthill Rd also excellent - but pricey. The shop is called Images.<div><br></div>
  • Another vote for snow white, great work, decent prices, very friendly, what more do you need?<br>
  • And another for Image - they've done a few fiddly jobs for me. Agree they're not the cheapest task-for-task but (a) really good quality and (b) on at least one occasion they've found a cheaper way of doing a job that is just as good as the more expensive one (invisible mending) I was thinking of ...
  • The lady in Minnies is very nice but try getting a consistent quote. Difficult. The shop is one if the most beautiful inSG. Could easily be in Mayfair. Chang
  • Snow White, Snow White, Snow White. (Both for cleaning and adjustments/repairs.)<div><br></div><div>PS Snow White.</div>
  • Chaps n Dames have started a dry cleaning service. (And a cat grooming concession , but don't go there ). No reason not to give it a try . Chang
  • edited July 2013
    Oh man - I would not use Snow White for adjustments.  There's another thread on here where quite a few folk have come away thinking WTF have they done...<br><br>I was twice bitten, and won't use them for adjustments again.<br>Shorten jacket sleeves - "no problem".  <i>Proceed to turn up the sleeves, and move the buttons up the arm.</i>  Who the f*ck does that? Idiots who don't know how to shorten jacket sleeves, that's who. (you detach them at the shoulder and shorten them there).  Had to pay Reiss GBP60 for a recovery job.<br>There was another incident, I think they shortened trousers to different lengths once too.<br><br>Dry cleaning there previously lost a pair of suit trousers, GBP250 down the pan..., though I guess that happens now and again.  Oh, and another pair came back with spilled biro ink down the leg.  Bizarre.<br><br>Nice guys, very average service.<br><div>[If you want friendly guy who can't do alterations for toffee, this is the place!]</div>
  • snow white all the way. Great service and prices, plus the owner and the guy who does the alterations are super friendly.
  • Don't use the place on Crouch Hill. Lost my housemate's suit - saying they gave it to someone else who now claims it's his! They are being very slow at giving him any kind of refund. Surely they have insurance for this type of thing?
  • I would highly recommend Bond Express they even do free home delivery for big loads if you ask them nicely. Good standard Dry Cleaning, Alterations and superb shoe repairing. <div><br></div><div>83 Stroud Green Rd</div>
  • I find it difficult to imagine you being in shock, Misscara.<br>
  • Misscara - I am very sorry to hear about your experience with Bond Express. I can only report about the above service I have received from those guys at Bond!
  • Alterations : Steves in Hornsey Rd all the way. Or for additions (eg jackets) Chaps n Dames .
  • Family friend has used the shoe repair service in Nag's Head for years - good service in there.
  • They are very jolly in Nag's Head but they butchered my lovely pair of green shoes to the extent that it upsets me to look at them now.
  • You still keep them though?  In your shoe shrine surrounded by other retired shoes?<br>
  • Of course, with a black veil over them.
  • Does anyone know what Minerva's shop on Fonthill Road is called?<div><br></div><div>Thanks</div><div><br></div>
  • <p>Here's a boring question for you all - which dry cleaners do the best offers? e.g 3 garments for a certain price? I've had last years winter coats tucked away in a dark corner of the house and now they all smell a bit musty. Have some nice faux fur that I've tried putting through the 'freshen up' cycle of a tumble dryer but they definitley need a trip to the professionals. I've tried the one on Ferme Park Road before after a wine/coat spillage and whilst they were very good, they took about 3 days and I recall it being very overpriced. </p><p>Can anybody reccomend a cheaper but safe option?</p>
  • I always use Kiren next to the Chrstian book shop on SGR. He is very efficient. I don't wear expensive clothes though.