Osteria Tufo

2»

Comments

• Someone said review in the guardian but I can't find online. Paola is taking this district by storm. Chang
  • @Papa L  You forgot Derek Smalls!<div>Surely this has to rate as the biggest celebrity spot in N4 history. </div>
  • Who is DS? A rapper? Chang
  • Had a great meal here with friends this week - great food, wine and lovely service. Would highly recommend
  • I'll have to check this place out. When did it open?
  • About a month or so ago.
  • We went a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Paola was quite delighted that my husband speaks Italian!
  • Wish I'd been there. As a bilingual myself it's good to get recognition like that , tho I can't do Italian much. Chang
  • Let me add my name to the growing list of fans of this astonishing new venue. I was there last night with a friend from Belgium, and we were both knocked out by the quality of the food. Constant attention from super-friendly Paola and Simone. We didn't meet the cook (Maurizio? Not sure), but sent him our warmest thanks.
  • @vetski - paola's a gambler on the accent though. She asked me where in Italy I was from and was surprised when I said Swindon.
  • @andy, fortunately she didn't ask him that - visually he could pass for a Northener, but his accent is an interesting mix of North & South, apparently. Do you know where she's from? Husband guessed Campania.
  • Or, more precisely, Naples. I think that's what she said. Your husband must have a very good ear, Vetski. Or is he Italian himself?
  • Yes, I was told Naples.
  • @checkski, no, he's a Brit but he's spent a lot of time out there over the years and is generally pretty good with languages. I think Tufo was also a giveaway - there's a Campanian wine called Greco Tufo, he tells me.
  • Interesting. I too have spent some time in Italy, but further north - Florence, to be precise. Playing in ballet schools, on and off, throughout the 1980's. The work wasn't all that exciting, but it enabled me to live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world so - lucky me. Do you know Giovanni? He's a Neapolitan, who hangs around Gadz Cafe, near the station. He doesn't speak much English, so we always chat in Italian. If he had a Tuscan accent I could cope, but I sometimes find his southern accent hard to follow. One feature I've picked up: they pronounce s as sh, so Tesco's becomes Teshco's. That right, Vetski's husband?
  • @checkski, he says yes, that does tend to happen - stanca becomes shtanca, for instance. We don't know Giovanni, though - will keep an ear out for Neapolitan accents around the station!
  • edited December 2017
  • These are fair points, but the room is what it is (this ain't Venice, in case you had missed that fact) . restaurants that are not chains struggle to make investment. This couple are starting out and have made a flying start so give them a break. Even stars like Maureen Lipman and Alan Rickman was drawn to it. The food is very flavoursome, but I recognise that is subjective. It ain't out of a cash and carry like certain 'restaurants' on SGR. The menu is limited cos one person prepares it freshly using stuff bought that day - which is a plus, than a long list of pre prepared stuff from a fridge van and microwave eg gastro pubs. IMHO Yes they should do a house wine, good suggestion. And the olives. Paola is fantastic as everyone says and I think will look at these points but the place is a very welcome addition to Stroud Green and I hope Joe will go back. Go Tufo!!!!!! Chang
  • edited September 2013
    I had dinner at the Osteria Tufo last night.<BR><BR> The food was very tasty, using fresh ingredients and reasonably priced.<BR> The service was good and Paola she is very welcoming. There was a mistake with ordering our main course and Paola was very professional and solved the problem immediately. <BR><BR>Now on the menu there is a bottle of House wine for £13.50 Nero d’avola (Sicilian wine) and it is very nice.<BR> I agree the kitchen extraction could be improved but the smell of the food was delicious. <BR><BR>I think with all the development going on around Finsbury Park, Osteria Tufo will be very successful. <BR>Well done guys, I will definitely be back for more.
  • Continues to do very well , despite the cold weather, and a really welcome addition to the buzzing n4 scene . Image and Tufo make this street like New York. Chang
  • @gardener-joe there is now olives and house wine. Going great. Chang